Seattle is dead last in OL spending

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
chris98251":18qu23px said:
These press conferences and interviews at this time is damage control, the run game isn't there yet, we blocked well but RB didn't have patience, pass protection was 100 percent when you see sacks, easy to see from 90 rows up, we are working hard on this and it will get better all things that people do that are deflections. Pete isn't Rex Ryan, don't expect him to tell us or the press who he is holding accountable other then himself taking any heat.
If the alternative is to broadcast Tell the Truth Tuesdays from inside the various position group meetings so that we can get all Judge Judy on individual players, then I'm happier with what we do get as analysis from them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2kfawrdp said:
Another peculiarity of Seattle is their willingness to swap player positions on the OL. I know PC/JS value versatility, but perhaps they value it to a fault. Seattle does more plug and play on the OL than any other team in football, be it conversion projects or position changes.

I can't think of another team that drafts tackles only to plug them in at guard so willingly.

IMO it's a flaw in their O-line philosophy.

Pete, John and Cable have said from day what they're looking for in an O-lineman.

- versatility
- physicality
- nasty streak
- athletic

Which is all well and good, but you're right this philosophy needs to be re-examined cause it's not resulting on an acceptable hit rate on lineman nor is it producing the stability needed for the unit that needs the MOST stability and continuity.

Too cute for my taste, get back to drafting and signing A's and B's and stop trying to Frankenstein C's and D's into A's and B's. Takes WAY too long and isn't successful enough.

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":eqanabkg said:
chris98251":eqanabkg said:
These press conferences and interviews at this time is damage control, the run game isn't there yet, we blocked well but RB didn't have patience, pass protection was 100 percent when you see sacks, easy to see from 90 rows up, we are working hard on this and it will get better all things that people do that are deflections. Pete isn't Rex Ryan, don't expect him to tell us or the press who he is holding accountable other then himself taking any heat.
If the alternative is to broadcast Tell the Truth Tuesdays from inside the various position group meetings so that we can get all Judge Judy on individual players, then I'm happier with what we do get as analysis from them.

I am just saying that you not going to get targeted comments, it will be more fluff and spin, it's the way we do business here now. If you want real feelings you do have to go back to the players, their demeanor and comments tend to tell you the state of situations better even if they don't point out people, well unless you talk to Russell Wilson, he has the technique down cold about taking things on himself and not blaming anyone.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19phydmm said:
CodeWarrior":19phydmm said:
Another peculiarity of Seattle is their willingness to swap player positions on the OL. I know PC/JS value versatility, but perhaps they value it to a fault. Seattle does more plug and play on the OL than any other team in football, be it conversion projects or position changes.

I can't think of another team that drafts tackles only to plug them in at guard so willingly.

IMO it's a flaw in their O-line philosophy.

Pete, John and Cable have said from day what they're looking for in an O-lineman.

- versatility
- physicality
- nasty streak
- athletic

Which is all well and good, but you're right this philosophy needs to be re-examined cause it's not resulting on an acceptable hit rate on lineman nor is it producing the stability needed for the unit that needs the MOST stability and continuity.

Too cute for my taste, get back to drafting and signing A's and B's and stop trying to Frankenstein C's and D's into A's and B's. Takes WAY too long and isn't successful enough.
Yet again I think you're spot on Sarge.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
There's a good clip that has been replayed a few times on the B&S 710 radio show of a call-in guy from Renton who is loudly, passionately pleaing "CAN WE PLEASE JUST DAFT REAL FRKING LINEMEN?" It's hilarious and, pre draft this year, a great call.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2fdkfb7m said:
Chukarhawk":2fdkfb7m said:
O line spending is low because the players are mostly playing on their rookie contracts. they are building the o line through the draft.

Building through the draft means keeping the quality players that you draft. Seattle doesn't. We let them walk to other teams.

what players would those be?

ivotuk

Reaction score
We're right there with the Broncos. Didn't someone say that they had the right approach to building an NFL team?

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2d447c8c said:
CodeWarrior":2d447c8c said:
Chukarhawk":2d447c8c said:
O line spending is low because the players are mostly playing on their rookie contracts. they are building the o line through the draft.

Building through the draft means keeping the quality players that you draft. Seattle doesn't. We let them walk to other teams.

Okung, Breno, Carpenter, Unger. Sweezy somewhat.

All far from perfect, but also far superior to what we have now. We destroy any OL continuity we build by letting players continually walk.

Boycie

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2whuintk said:
CodeWarrior":2whuintk said:
Sgt. Largent":2whuintk said:
NE is a good example of a franchise and staff that excels at what we're trying to do..........go cheap on the O-line by drafting and signing "system" lineman that fit well with their schemes.

This is just simply not true. NE spends 18.37% of their total cap on the OL, good for 9th overall and well above average. Seattle, as I stated earlier, spends just 5.86% of the cap on OL. Dead last.

Cap spending percentages: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

This year, but NE was 27th in spending in 2013, #14 in 2014 and #9 in 2015..............and Belicheat has no problem dumping high priced lineman even before they reach their expiration dates, yet still can plug in 2nd and 3rd stringers without missing a beat.

Not the case here, it takes entire seasons for our new lineman to gel, if they gel at all.

Isn't this a result of the scheme that we run too? I am not sure, but does NE run a zone blocking scheme like we do? If not, their scheme might be easier to plug in those low end guys and not have a big drop in performance.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":37l1smhg said:
Chukarhawk":37l1smhg said:
CodeWarrior":37l1smhg said:
Chukarhawk":37l1smhg said:

Okung, Breno, Carpenter, Unger. Sweezy somewhat.

All far from perfect, but also far superior to what we have now. We destroy any OL continuity we build by letting players continually walk.

Breno- Hurt not playing. Sweezy Hurt, out, Unger hurt out, carpenter-hurt out

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":18gwejiz said:
Breno- Hurt not playing. Sweezy Hurt, out, Unger hurt out, carpenter-hurt out

Yes, Breno and Sweezy are PUP. They'll be back later this season. Prior to that Breno had started all 16 games for the Jets in both of the previous two seasons. Sweezy was a constant for us as well, missing just two games since 2013.

Carpenter played in all 16 games last season and has played in both games this season. He has missed two practices but your categorization of "hurt out" is incorrect.

Unger also started all 16 games last season and has started both games this season. Again, not sure what you're talking about.

You didn't even mention Okung as he's playing at a high level right now.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

Hope they pick it up, it's tough to watch at this point.

I don't understand what the plan is. Our tackle play is nothing short of unacceptable and we display no urgency in addressing the problem. Starting Fant, a player that has not recorded a start since junior high, as well as Gilliam is bordering on negligence.

sdog1981

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3t91i3bb said:

I don't understand what the plan is. Our tackle play is nothing short of unacceptable and we display no urgency in addressing the problem. Starting Fant, a player that has not recorded a start since junior high, as well as Gilliam is bordering on negligence.

Look at the Saints O line

LT 3rd round pick (Second Contract)
LG UDFA (Second Contract)
C Trade
RG 1st Rounder (rookie deal)
RT 7th rounder (3rd Contract)

They have the same slots the Seahawks have used on the Oline. In fact, they have drafted less linemen than the Seahawks have. How many more draft picks must Tom Cable waste before he gets fired.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
sdog1981":7q212t1k said:
CodeWarrior":7q212t1k said:

C Trade

They have the same slots the Seahawks have used on the Oline. In fact, they have drafted less linemen than the Seahawks have. How many more draft picks must Tom Cable waste before he gets fired.

When Seattle hits on an OL pick they let him walk in FA.

Look at the contracts the Saints give to their OL.

LT Terron Armstead: signed a 5 year, $65,000,000 contract including a $11,000,000 signing bonus, $38,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000.

C Max Unger signed a 3 year, $22,200,000 contract including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $14,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,400,000.

RT Zach Strief signed a 5 year, $20,000,000 contract including a $5,500,000 signing bonus, $8,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.

Compare that to Seattle.

sdog1981

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1yh3tiij said:
sdog1981":1yh3tiij said:
CodeWarrior":1yh3tiij said:

C Trade

When Seattle hits on an OL pick they let him walk in FA.

Look at the contracts the Saints give to their OL.

LT Terron Armstead: signed a 5 year, $65,000,000 contract including a $11,000,000 signing bonus, $38,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000.

C Max Unger signed a 3 year, $22,200,000 contract including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $14,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,400,000.

RT Zach Strief signed a 5 year, $20,000,000 contract including a $5,500,000 signing bonus, $8,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.

Compare that to Seattle.

I think they have missed on every Cable pick. Okung they should have kept and Breno was signed for cheap. 4 years 18 million about 5 per season. It is like they think they can be cute with drafting DT and making them starters.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It's because Tom Cable is a terrible coach and has not yet developed an OL player worthy of a second contract.