Seattle Kraken Hockey

knownone

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the logo. If I didn't know it was a kraken, I would have no idea what it's supposed to be. At first glance it looks like a Lovecraftian seahorse.

Edit: Also, there is this idea floating around on that Kraken is an irregular plural; this is not true. The plural form of Kraken is - in fact - Krakens, so calling the team "The Seattle Kraken" is grammatically wrong.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I was going to post a hundred words about how angry I was then I realized it will be ok we have an NHL team...finally. Links to the area are quite clear if you take the time to read their rational for the name, I personally wanted Metropolitans but understand why that wasn’t going to happen. Not sure they will survive with Maulbert and Chapow not on board.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2mubse87 said:
I was going to post a hundred words about how angry I was then I realized it will be ok we have an NHL team...finally. Links to the area are quite clear if you take the time to read their rational for the name, I personally wanted Metropolitans but understand why that wasn’t going to happen. Not sure they will survive with Maulbert and Chapow not on board.

I don't suggest a lack of my money will hurt them. Doesn't mean I need to throw it away like a dipshit.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I admit. I HATED the name Kraken and prayed they wouldn’t call the team that but now that it’s a done deal, and having seen the logos and colors, I’m on board. The heck with it. Sure it will be called “The Krack House” or the “Krack Shack”. Of course fans will be called “Krack Heads” and so forth. Talk about lofting softballs for opposing fans. However, I do appreciate the nod to our local heritage (see TwistedHusky’s excellent post on the matter) and the logos are strong. The colors will grow on me. That secondary logo of the anchor and needle is sliiiick. With all that is going on in the world, I am ready to embrace my new hometown NHL team. Go Kraken!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Also as far as the "It's not PNW, wahhhh!" crowd goes, again, who cares? Most sports teams have names that have nothing to do with the teams region.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3sqhqx4a said:
Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Exactly, any name they were going to find something to insult us with. Might as well embrace it and own it.

2F6a2Ff42Fb72F6af4b7936c676889cbb699281939a15e

253hawk

Reaction score

Maulbert

Reaction score
253hawk":23frmir2 said:
Cyrus12":23frmir2 said:
So steal a time honored tradition from Detroit of throwing a squid on the ice?

Your boys will come out of a squid tunnel to either of these clips:
https://youtu.be/38AYeNGjqg0

https://youtu.be/pRvIfjglF_I

Or maybe this

https://youtu.be/BQpgIJUh9D4

Ah, yes, the Great Lakes region, famous for their abundant amounts of...native squid and octopi. Makes about as much sense as Tampa Bay throwing a marmot on the ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legen...ight arms, the octopus,to win the Stanley Cup

253hawk

Reaction score
I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.

Maulbert

Reaction score
253hawk":ahjbwat4 said:
I'm well aware of the history; traditions in general are just bizarre. Random person does wacky thing forever ago for no particular reason and today they're just carried on in the form of peer pressure from dead people.

Holds more tradition than thinking it's okay to steal someone else's because of what you named the team.

253hawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":220a9dof said:
253hawk":220a9dof said:

Holds more tradition than thinking it's okay to steal someone else's because of what you named the team.

How is using a creature from Norse folklore stealing anything from the Red Wings?

Maulbert

Reaction score
253hawk":3m0o913r said:
Maulbert":3m0o913r said:
253hawk":3m0o913r said:

How is using a creature from Norse folklore stealing anything from the Red Wings?

I said stealing a tradition, not a name. Saying you have more right to throwing octopi on the rink because 70 years after it was first done 2,000 miles away you chose to name your team after an overgrown octopus is just plain stupid.

253hawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":dt66hio9 said:
I said stealing a tradition, not a name. Saying you have more right to throwing octopi on the rink because 70 years after it was first done 2,000 miles away you chose to name your team after an overgrown octopus is just plain stupid.

No one said anything about rights, especially since it's never been stated anywhere that Kraken fans were going to just start throwing calamari onto the ice to celebrate (which is stupid anyway, imo). Holy defensive projection, Batman.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We literally have the National Nordic Museum in Ballard. There are plenty of wicked cool nordic traditions & legends that center on the sea.

I am sure they can come up with a better idea, with norse maritime roots, than throwing squid on the ice. That contribution would also help people see the connection between the name and this region.

Also squid are not Kraken.

However, if they found a way to drop a giant squid on the ice before the game? That would be awesome, but only if it was a giant squid - not those smaller things. I'd actually prefer to see an anchor dropped center ice, but that might be dangerous.

Ruminator

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rzyg1bq said:
Also squid are not Kraken.

However, if they found a way to drop a giant squid on the ice before the game? That would be awesome, but only if it was a giant squid - not those smaller things. I'd actually prefer to see an anchor dropped center ice, but that might be dangerous.

I guess I thought Kraken was octopus. If so, let's excise squid from our brains.

Ho hum to dropping anything on the ice. A short laser or light effects show, with the arena lights briefly dimmed, that look like giant octopus tentacles slowly feeling their way throughout the arena, at pre-game, intermissions, and perhaps after Kraken scores -- that would float my boat.

Crizilla

Reaction score
More I look at the jerseys the more I like it. Really excited to see what they do with the goalie mask. Also, for those who don't like the team name...nothing can be worse than "climate pledge arena" just keep that in mind.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I like the space needle on the anchor.. not sure where the anchor comes in on though.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/sammyc521/status/1286795718116745224[/tweet]
Hope this is the third jersey.