Seattle Kraken Hockey

CPHawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":1kj1zh85 said:
twisted_steel2":1kj1zh85 said:
Maulbert":1kj1zh85 said:
CPHawk":1kj1zh85 said:
You would have been happier being named after our rivals food? The sockeye.

Orcas eat squid more than salmon.

This kraken is named more after a giant octopus, rather than a squid though.

You think they make a distinction? They eat more octopus than salmon, too.

Not the pods in the puget sound, who are starving due to a shortage of salmon.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":177sc9xb said:
Krak Heads is a great name for a fan club. Opposing fans won't be able to use it as an insult if we take it and own it first. And even so, who cares? We could have been the Metrosexuals, or the Suckeyes, or the Scrotums.

Also as far as the "It's not PNW, wahhhh!" crowd goes, again, who cares? Most sports teams have names that have nothing to do with the teams region.

And there it is. My response I was gonna type. Perfecto.... Kraken is awesome, IMO... A Badass, deadly sea creature, albeit mythical. I absolutely LOVE the name, and it was my choice from the start. It's different, and so original. Perusing the Vancouver Canucks message board, most of them think it's pretty cool, and are looking forward to the instant rivalry. A couple Canuck fans even said our jerseys were "siiiick" and may have to buy one!

chris98251

Reaction score
If you embrace the name and have a fan club that takes it ahead of the season then it isn't going to be an insult since you already owned it and made it a positive.

They did the same thing with the 12th man at first, till we got the Wave going in the Kingdome with Bill the Beerman, and the offsides or false start leader in penalties for opposition, and they couldn't hear their signals.

Then the fun really started with trying to institute fan rules targeted at Seahawks fans, that worked well lol, that rabid fan activity carried over to Husky Field and the Clink,. Even back in the Sonics days the Coliseum would rock and roll, I remember sitting next to one of the columns during the Championship runs and the column was vibrating just from noise, not feet stomping or things like that.

Embrace it and own it turn what others will try to make negative into a positive.

Having Club Gear representing a Kraken since we can shape it pretty much how we want would be cool.

253hawk

Reaction score
Not that it matters, but it's actually pronounced 'crock-uhn'. So throw that in anyone's face that makes childish remarks about crack. Team name puns are the dumbest thing that should start and stop in grade school.

Msfann

Reaction score
The name isn't perfect but it could have been much much worse and isnt even the worst team name in the city.

I'm just happy to have a team, and that S logo is badass looking. I can't wait to buy a hat with it.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the secondary logo, the anchor, to be on some merchandise. Then I'll probably go bankrupt.

PS Fanatics.com has some stuff up already.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2t9g41iu said:
I'm waiting for the secondary logo, the anchor, to be on some merchandise. Then I'll probably go bankrupt.

PS Fanatics.com has some stuff up already.
I’ve seen some mock ups of both the S and anchor combined that looked cool.
Would be even cooler if they slightly shade one of the logos in another color of one of the 4 blue colors.

pinksheets

Reaction score
pinksheets":17wispze said:
Kraken is an embarrassing, tacky XFL like name. Hope it turns out to be untrue.
I standby this 100% but what can you do - not going to root for anyone else. Simple 'S' logo is nice enough. Definitely feels very detached from "Seattle" but so does the whole project, really + most other things in this city now. It'll be fun to watch a local NHL team, at least.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sammyc521":of9m8mvr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/sammyc521/status/1286795718116745224[/tweet]
Hope this is the third jersey.

Wonder how many people will tattoo this..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":32plj59w said:
I'm not a big fan of the logo. If I didn't know it was a kraken, I would have no idea what it's supposed to be. At first glance it looks like a Lovecraftian seahorse.

Edit: Also, there is this idea floating around on that Kraken is an irregular plural; this is not true. The plural form of Kraken is - in fact - Krakens, so calling the team "The Seattle Kraken" is grammatically wrong.

It can be either.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3v1g9k9u said:
It's a Jersey, that's what I'm gonna' call it. Nobody is gonna' tell me what to call it. I've never heard the term Sweater, but that sounds lame. We have a fricken NHL team and people are bickering over the name and the jerseys. Good luck with that.
:lol: you didn't expect it?

253hawk

Reaction score
The name is unconventional, sure, but it's not that bad. The NHL is full of bland and terrible names...Senators, Wild, (Mighty) Ducks, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Lightning, Capitals, Maple Leafs...come on now. I'm not hearing any superior alternative suggestions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like the name now!I saw many horrible names
suggested.
The logo is really good and it's better than the
Mariners by far..
I am a fan and will buy something soon.
BTW-Chris you picked right on :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
253hawk":3pe45l9o said:
The name is unconventional, sure, but it's not that bad. The NHL is full of bland and terrible names...Senators, Wild, (Mighty) Ducks, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Lightning, Capitals, Maple Leafs...come on now. I'm not hearing any superior alternative suggestions.

Yea, there are terrible names in pro sports, teams named after pairs of socks, and really dumb animals. Like Ducks and Pelicans. What about the Wizards? lol Talk about nerdy.

When you compare some of the horrible names out there, Kraken sounds pretty awesome.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack whores...that's a tad extreme.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3cw5s1zt said:
Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack whores...that's a tad extreme.
It’s Krak whores. Get it right! 8)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vwtqq2d said:
Cyrus12":2vwtqq2d said:
Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.
It’s Krak who**. Get it right! 8)
Well hopefully they dont change the name down the road to the Seattle Hockey Team due to the offensive nature of the current name..

sutz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1qcq2wqs said:
Sports Hernia":1qcq2wqs said:
Cyrus12":1qcq2wqs said:
Yikes...saw that the ice sweepers during the commercial breaks will be referred to as crack who**...that's a tad extreme.
It’s Krak who**. Get it right! 8)
Well hopefully they dont change the name down the road to the Seattle Hockey Team due to the offensive nature of the current name..
I'm sure that marine life all over is lawyering up. :twisted: