Seattle Mariners @ San Francisco Giants Jul 3-5

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Woo with another quality start, but leaves with a 2-1 deficit score.

Sewald gives up 3 bottom 9, but thanks to a 4 run M's top 9, he holds on to hang on to the win.

Give Caballero some props. Came in top 9 to pinch run for Ford after a base hit. Steals 2d and 3d. Trots in on the JP fly ball. Basically kicks off the 4 game 9th for the M's.

3 game win streak. Day game tomorrow.

Ruminator

Reaction score
So here's where the Ms suddenly start clicking, but because of hovering around .500 April May June they just miss the playoffs.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Wong and Pollack got the start today.

POLLACK DID SOMETHING

Last edited:

Chapow

Reaction score
Wong and Pollack got the start today.

Working out pretty well so far.
Pollack hits one out of the park with Wong on base in the 8th to increase the M's lead to 6-0.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hell yeah Logan!

Complete game shutout on the 4th of July. Hell of an outing today.

Chapow

Reaction score
Mike Ford deserves some props too. 4 for 5 with a homer, 2 doubles, and a single, and on his birthday. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
They gave Gilbert the trident today. :LOL:

Hell, yes! Servais wanted 7 out of him, he goes 9. Nice game all around.

Won the series and 4 in a row. (y)

Crizilla

Reaction score
During this win streak the Ms have not been striking out a lot and have been smacking the ball around. Good things happen eventually when you make contact and work the count. Where has this been all season? Keep laying wood on the ball fellas.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
During this win streak the Ms have not been striking out a lot and have been smacking the ball around. Good things happen eventually when you make contact and work the count. Where has this been all season? Keep laying wood on the ball fellas
So here's where the Ms suddenly start clicking, but because of hovering around .500 April May June they just miss the playoffs.
Last year at this time the M's were digging out of a 10 game hole. 🤷‍♂️

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mike Ford deserves some props too. 4 for 5 with a homer, 2 doubles, and a single, and on his birthday. Pretty cool.
Probaly the best hitting day all year by any M and he was in the Minors most of the season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Is there an official stat for bases per at-bat? Not just slugging percent, but actual bases per at-bat. I was thinking about comparing someone who hits .300 but they're all singles, compared to someone who hits .150 but they're all homers. Or someone who hits .200 (Mendoza Line) but they're a mix of 50% singles and 50% doubles... Who's the more valuable person in the lineup?

I did some quick math, and assumed playing in 150 games/year, with 4 appearances per game. The first person would have hit for (.3x600x1) = 180 bases/600 at-bats = .3 bases per at-bat. The second person would have hit for (.15x600x4) = 360 bases/600 at-bats = .6 bases per at-bat. The third person would be at (.2x600x1.5) = 180 bases = .3 bases per at-bat, same value as the first one.

If this stat isn't being tracked, do you suppose it would make any sense to do so? The first one was (fairly obviously) made with Ichiro in mind. He always hit a lot, but mostly singles and I'm not sure he actually had that big of an impact on any single game. Mike Ford had a 1.8 bases per at-bat day today, which is phenomenal to me.

Threedee

Reaction score
We get a wild pitch run off the Giants in consecutive games. Also, that's three series wins in a row! Now if we can just get a sweep...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Is there an official stat for bases per at-bat? Not just slugging percent, but actual bases per at-bat. I was thinking about comparing someone who hits .300 but they're all singles, compared to someone who hits .150 but they're all homers. Or someone who hits .200 (Mendoza Line) but they're a mix of 50% singles and 50% doubles... Who's the more valuable person in the lineup?

I did some quick math, and assumed playing in 150 games/year, with 4 appearances per game. The first person would have hit for (.3x600x1) = 180 bases/600 at-bats = .3 bases per at-bat. The second person would have hit for (.15x600x4) = 360 bases/600 at-bats = .6 bases per at-bat. The third person would be at (.2x600x1.5) = 180 bases = .3 bases per at-bat, same value as the first one.

If this stat isn't being tracked, do you suppose it would make any sense to do so? The first one was (fairly obviously) made with Ichiro in mind. He always hit a lot, but mostly singles and I'm not sure he actually had that big of an impact on any single game. Mike Ford had a 1.8 bases per at-bat day today, which is phenomenal to me.
I get what your saying but Ichiro for one had speed,great D,stole a lot of bases and scored
a lot with speed.
Your not going to justify these horrible BA's with math alone..When your hitting .250 or below
up and down the lineup it's bad..
There is no mix of a couple .300's with a sprinkle of .280 to .270's because if there was the team
W/L would be much better.
Instead there is a straight line of below to way below average hitters..I've never seen it like this
that I can recall..The talent is better than a lot of the past teams yet you don't see it bat wise.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score

This should be in a separate thread instead of a game series thread, but here goes.

You want wOBA which is an OPS stat that accounts for the method of getting on base.

wOBA is a version of on-base percentage that accounts for how a player reached base -- instead of simply considering whether a player reached base. The value for each method of reaching base is determined by how much that event is worth in relation to projected runs scored (example: a double is worth more than a single).

For instance: In 2014, a home run was worth 2.101 times on base, while a walk was worth 0.69 times on base. So a player who went 1-for-4 with a home run and a walk would have a wOBA of .558 -- (2.101 + 0.69 / 5 PAs).
Not in widespread use yet, but looks kind of like what you're asking. ;)