Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":34p6jelf said:
Yeah, USD.

We sold be reportedly 4-6 plus escalators.

Is he worth that much? I know the Portuguese league loves to drive a high price

Smurf

Reaction score
Debatable. Definately not in the previous number of $80 million....but 11 is a tad high. 8 would seem reasonable for me...but i love the player.

Take that for what its worth.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":1df99ct0 said:
Rumor is that Fredy Montero is on the market. His streaky nature has finally irked Sporting...

Rumored to be $11 million for him....

As much as it wont happen, and as stupid as it would be to have happen....

....i want it to happen....

I'd like it to happen too but signing Montero would most likely mean parting with Dempsey or Martins. I'm not sure I'd want to either of those guys to go.

Smurf

Reaction score
Disagree that it would lead to parting ways with either of them.

Possible to keep them and field all 3 at same time
433 would be fun with that group.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys... but they sold Fredy less than 2 years ago for 4 million and now you wanna gonna go out and spend two or three times that? Montero doesn't even fit the Sounders current need. If we have 10 or so million to spend. I would much rather see it spent on a difference making midfielder.

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":2l2nkvzu said:
I don't know about you guys... but they sold Fredy less than 2 years ago for 4 million and now you wanna gonna go out and spend two or three times that? Montero doesn't even fit the Sounders current need. If we have 10 or so million to spend. I would much rather see it spent on a difference making midfielder.

My desire for the player has nothing to do with reason.

It has everything to do with emotional connection to the player.

Is he a player that I'd like to have, Yes.
Is he a player we should spend 10 million on, No
Does He fit a need, No.
Is he Sounders Legend Fredy Montero, Yes.

I want him. And I don't care about the other stuff.

This is why I am not the GM of the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2kpsj1p2 said:
knownone":2kpsj1p2 said:

Does He fit a need, No.

Not sure he's a "legend", he played what, 4 seasons with Seattle?

But, he fits a significant need. He is younger, more technical and far pacier than either of the Sounders current forwards. He can play underneath the strikers, alone up top or out wide (the current strike force can do one of those. Dempsey underneath as a CAM is somewhat painful)

He is the type of player the Sounders should be targeting. Right now they are slow. Slow in possession, slow in moving to the attack, slow in transition, slow in decision making from the back and out wide.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rkrxkzl said:
Smurf":1rkrxkzl said:
knownone":1rkrxkzl said:

Does He fit a need, No.

But, he fits a significant need. He is younger, more technical and far pacier than either of the Sounders current forwards. He can play underneath the strikers, alone up top or out wide (the current strike force can do one of those. Dempsey underneath as a CAM is somewhat painful)

He is the type of player the Sounders should be targeting. Right now they are slow. Slow in possession, slow in moving to the attack, slow in transition, slow in decision making from the back and out wide.

He's the sounders all time record goal scorer at 60...next highest is EJ and Oba tied on 29.

He scored the first goal in the clubs MLS history, and has a song sung about it EVERY match.

He put the team on his back in many a Cascadia Cup Game.

Also, thank you for justifying my desire for Montero be return to the Rave Green.

Yes. $11 Million. Take my money. Give me Montero.

Smurf

Reaction score
In other news....Clint Dempsey has returned to the Sounders from USMNT camp....but not for a good reason. The Nats Captain has picked up a Hamstring Injury. I don't expect him to start tonight, or in Dallas.

Also, there is a friendly match vs Club Tijuana tonight. It is unfortunately not on TV, but I will provide a post match synopsis sometime Wednesday. I do encourage you to head down to the stadium if you have time and a few extra $$.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Smurf":23ujia7j said:
In other news....Clint Dempsey has returned to the Sounders from USMNT camp....but not for a good reason. The Nats Captain has picked up a Hamstring Injury. I don't expect him to start tonight, or in Dallas.

Also, there is a friendly match vs Club Tijuana tonight. It is unfortunately not on TV, but I will provide a post match synopsis sometime Wednesday. I do encourage you to head down to the stadium if you have time and a few extra $$.

SaH says he could miss 2-3 weeks. Brutal.

Smurf

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1ikoi6kg said:
Smurf":1ikoi6kg said:

SaH says he could miss 2-3 weeks. Brutal.

More reason why we should buy Montero.

Also.....excited to see if Jones and Mansaray get first team minutes with Deuce out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1i27j615 said:
Uncle Si":1i27j615 said:
Smurf":1i27j615 said:
knownone":1i27j615 said:

Does He fit a need, No.

He's the sounders all time record goal scorer at 60...next highest is EJ and Oba tied on 29.

He scored the first goal in the clubs MLS history, and has a song sung about it EVERY match.

He put the team on his back in many a Cascadia Cup Game.

Also, thank you for justifying my desire for Montero be return to the Rave Green.

Yes. $11 Million. Take my money. Give me Montero.

4 years... Maybe that constitutes "legendary" in Seattle these days?

Mark Peterson leads the Sounders in goals (61). Roger Davies had 25 goals in a season, earning an MVP award, scored 32 over all. Bob Donaldson had 3 straight seasons of 16 goals. Both ahead of EJ and Oba. As are Mark Baena and Chance Fry? Mark Peterson was considered the best American soccer player in his prime. He's your legend. Any songs for him? Maybe Sounders fans need a refresher on their history?

I am not justify anything. Just stating clearly that a player like him is what an aging, slow Sounders team needs. As a Sounder fan you should know this (as well as who Roger Davies is). The team needs pace and technical ability. Actually, the league needs it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We don't need Montero, especially at the price quoted. He had moments of greatness but was frustratingly streaky. Give Barrett or Neagle a shot there for a few games. Both capable of scoring until Dempsey is back.

If we are spending big money I hope it's on a quality central defender to play beside Marshall. Marshall deserves it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1hgzxo6y said:
We don't need Montero, especially at the price quoted. He had moments of greatness but was frustratingly streaky. Give Barrett or Neagle a shot there for a few games. Both capable of scoring until Dempsey is back.

If we are spending big money I hope it's on a quality central defender to play beside Marshall. Marshall deserves it.

You probably don't pay big money for center back in the MLS. But quality is needed there. Unfortunately, it is in short supply. Taking a run at players like Eric Lichaj, Timmy Chandler, Geoff Cameron, or Tim Ream may be a good place to start. All very high quality but now in the lower divisions of their European leagues. I could see Klinsmann endorsing such moves for each, as well. Defenders need game time more than any other position.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":mysvbp8k said:

Mark Peterson leads the Sounders in goals (61). Roger Davies had 25 goals in a season, earning an MVP award, scored 32 over all. Bob Donaldson had 3 straight seasons of 16 goals. Both ahead of EJ and Oba. As are Mark Baena and Chance Fry? Mark Peterson was considered the best American soccer player in his prime. He's your legend. Any songs for him? Maybe Sounders fans need a refresher on their history?

I am not justify anything. Just stating clearly that a player like him is what an aging, slow Sounders team needs. As a Sounder fan you should know this (as well as who Roger Davies is). The team needs pace and technical ability. Actually, the league needs it.

Sorry, I forgot to add the MLS qualifier into the all time goal scorers list....but being 1 off of Peterson is impressive. Even you must admit that.

Of course I know of those players, and what they accomplished for the club. I wasn't around to watch them play, but I know their importance and achievements.

He's a sounders legend along side the likes of the players you listed, Alan Hinton, Preston Burpo, Rodger Levesque, Sebastian LeToux, Brian Schmetzer, and Kasey Keller.

Montero's accomplishments speak for themselves in this clubs history, especially in the MLS era.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":le4ux9l6 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":le4ux9l6 said:

You probably don't pay big money for center back in the MLS. But quality is needed there. Unfortunately, it is in short supply. Taking a run at players like Eric Lichaj, Timmy Chandler, Geoff Cameron, or Tim Ream may be a good place to start. All very high quality but now in the lower divisions of their European leagues. I could see Klinsmann endorsing such moves for each, as well. Defenders need game time more than any other position.

We need a player like montero (skillful, youthful, has some pace)....not necessarily Montero himself.

I agree with Si, big money players and CB don't fit with MLS. But improved quality, and depth, is a deed for the club at that position.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1rwmm59l said:
Uncle Si":1rwmm59l said:

Sorry, I forgot to add the MLS qualifier into the all time goal scorers list....but being 1 off of Peterson is impressive. Even you must admit that.

Of course I know of those players, and what they accomplished for the club. I wasn't around to watch them play, but I know their importance and achievements.

He's a sounders legend along side the likes of the players you listed, Alan Hinton, Preston Burpo, Rodger Levesque, Sebastian LeToux, Brian Schmetzer, and Kasey Keller.

Montero's accomplishments speak for themselves in this clubs history, especially in the MLS era.

I'm just giving you a hard time

Just don't forget the glory years so soon

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2znvlweo said:
Smurf":2znvlweo said:
Uncle Si":2znvlweo said:

I'm just giving you a hard time

Just don't forget the glory years so soon

Every year is a Glory Year.

Smurf

Reaction score
Lord Bendtner just scored a hat trick to beat the USMNT 3-2.....

Rumor is he is going to be LAFC's first DP (not joking).

Latest posts