Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1gkddmvy said:
Sgt. Largent":1gkddmvy said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1gkddmvy said:
razgriz737":1gkddmvy said:
Not the most entertaining match, but points is points. Woo.

What would have made it more entertaining for you?

Pretty sloppy from Seattle's side. Rose played OK, but the Sounder's form is far more cohesive with Pappa in the lineup. Plus after Pineda got sent off, it was pure survival mode. So not exactly the most attractive soccer to watch.

As much as I've hated on Evans, he has played better since the SJ match. I still don't want him at CM long term.

I disagree. The Sounders kept attacking and should have slotted two more goals while short handed. They didn't go to bunker ball until there were only ten minutes remaining.

Shots were 11 to 2 for Houston after the card... with 4 in the last 10 minutes. Possession was something like 70-30 after the card. Both the Sounders attempts came off transitions after being hemmed in.

The game never had a flow, and became even more sluggish and forced after the red. The passing and play was sloppy throughout, and when the better team went down a man, it just made it worse.

The key would be the meaning of "entertaining".. from a neutral standpoint it was a forgettable game of soccer, lacked flow, consistency, creativity.

For a Sounders fan, taking 3 points playing with 10 men for nearly 40 minutes is a nice achievement. I'd never apologize for 3 points.

knownone

Reaction score
The game was fairly dismal to watch... Houston had 16 shots and only 2 of them were on frame.

Can anyone explain to me why Neagle is still starting? Seriously, the man has been awful in every game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":39eqsni9 said:
The game was fairly dismal to watch... Houston had 16 shots and only 2 of them were on frame.

Can anyone explain to me why Neagle is still starting? Seriously, the man has been awful in every game.

Sigi thinks Neagle gives him width, because of his speed and workrate off the ball.

True, but I'd say any benefit Neagle gives us is cancelled out by his horrible touches, passes and getting dispossessed.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I like Neagle because he really does work hard and play his ass off. But yeah, his technical ability is really lacking...

I'd like him better off the bench, but as a starter not so much.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
razgriz737":nlnk2gpm said:
I like Neagle because he really does work hard and play his ass off. But yeah, his technical ability is really lacking...

You just described the MLS.. which is why Neagle still has a role.

The league is lacking in the technically gifted player at the moment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1blkudtg said:
razgriz737":1blkudtg said:

For sure, but I see a remarked roster increase in technical players at least over the past 5 years or so.......maybe not overall technical play just yet, but signing technical players. Most clubs are making a concerted effort to go out and get more guys like Mauro Rosales, Kaka, Manneh, Garcia, Di Vaio, Nagbe, etc.

As far as Neagle? He's a good bench player because he gives you pace, effort and workrate, but as a starter I'm no fan. But then again, we haven't had a really good MLS winger since the Flaco/pre-injury Zakuani days.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h0f3o1g said:
Uncle Si":2h0f3o1g said:
razgriz737":2h0f3o1g said:

For sure, but I see a remarked roster increase in technical players at least over the past 5 years or so.......maybe not overall technical play just yet, but signing technical players. Most clubs are making a concerted effort to go out and get more guys like Mauro Rosales, Kaka, Manneh, Garcia, Di Vaio, Nagbe, etc.

As far as Neagle? He's a good bench player because he gives you pace, effort and workrate, but as a starter I'm no fan. But then again, we haven't had a really good MLS winger since the Flaco/pre-injury Zakuani days.

The issue the MLS will always run into is that if the player is really gifted, they are likely going to be snatched up by the bigger Euro clubs. Same as the 2nd division in England (Championship).

Homegrown players will be the best asset for the MLS. Quality is coming. Just may take a couple years.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think MLS is that far behind other leagues in technical ability. Look at a guy like Marco Pappa, he has the technical ability to play in Europe, but he's severely lacking in the tactical acumen to play at that level. On the flip side you have a guy like Inzaghi who is not technical at all, but had great positioning and timing and he had a great career in Europe.
That is the biggest difference between MLS and most of the Euro leagues. It's more than just knowing how to do something, it's knowing when and where to use that ability... That's my issue with Neagle, I understand that he's not going to weight the perfect ball every time and that's fine. What I don't understand is why he tries to dribble past 3 guys or make the same run as Dempsey further clogging the middle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":gd1gpasd said:
I don't think MLS is that far behind other leagues in technical ability. Look at a guy like Marco Pappa, he has the technical ability to play in Europe, but he's severely lacking in the tactical acumen to play at that level. On the flip side you have a guy like Inzaghi who is not technical at all, but had great positioning and timing and he had a great career in Europe.
That is the biggest difference between MLS and most of the Euro leagues. It's more than just knowing how to do something, it's knowing when and where to use that ability... That's my issue with Neagle, I understand that he's not going to weight the perfect ball every time and that's fine. What I don't understand is why he tries to dribble past 3 guys or make the same run as Dempsey further clogging the middle.

Honestly, it's the opposite in my opinion. Americans are drilled in tactics. Coached like football players. Regimented. Disciplined. When the competition ramps up its the technical ability that lets them down, not their tactical awareness.

We are not talking about the occasional player. There are a very small handful of MLS players who could etch out a place in the starting 11 of any team in the big 5 leagues. The number dwindles to one hand (or less) of players who could make a top half squad in those leagues.

That said, the foundation for developing these players is taking shape. How many spend much time in the MLS is yet to be seen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":zmwmiyf0 said:

The difference between the MLS and the top leagues is MLS players have holes in their game, some more than others.

A player will have blinding speed and quickness, but below average technical ability (Neagle, Yedlin, etc.), or above average technical ability, but average to below average speed (Mauro Rosales, Pappa, etc.)

The top clubs in top leagues have no player on their starting 11 that isn't a fully formed well rounded soccer player with every box checkmarked. Speed, technical ability, decision making, pace and effort, etc.

That's why most MLS players are making 200k in the MLS instead of 2M a year in a top league. As Si has stated, you fix this by developing our own players............and the MLS also knows this, which is why now finally they're committing serious dollars and resources into things like the S2 league, homegrown players and underage DP rules.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
mikeak":24u3p5fg said:
razgriz737":24u3p5fg said:
Zlatan has applied for a US visa...
:stirthepot:

Came here to state this. Speculations are that it is for other business that would tie in to playing career here later.

I doubt he does the MLS now.

Eurosport: Zlatan Ibrahimovic signs contract with Universal Studios, sparks movie rumours

For whatever that means, atleast explains the visa

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":u4rm9nhv said:
mikeak":u4rm9nhv said:
razgriz737":u4rm9nhv said:
Zlatan has applied for a US visa...
:stirthepot:

Came here to state this. Speculations are that it is for other business that would tie in to playing career here later.

I doubt he does the MLS now.

Eurosport: Zlatan Ibrahimovic signs contract with Universal Studios, sparks movie rumours

For whatever that means, atleast explains the visa

Universal Studios > Orlando > Orlando FC

j/k............but it sounds good!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in the MLS. He's a mercurial personality and being the center of attention (while this hating being the center of attention) is sort of how his universe works

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ka033o9 said:
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in the MLS. He's a mercurial personality and being the center of attention (while this hating being the center of attention) is sort of how his universe works

What is he now? 33? 34?

Still could play for a couple years, but he doesn't seem like the type of Euro DP that'd fare well in the MLS. Going from Champions League Matches in front of 80k to 12k in San Jose doesn't sound like a good fit for a guy like Ibrahimovic.

But I guess $$$$ talks, if the MLS throws 5-6M a year at him he'd probably take it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o51hkc0 said:
Uncle Si":1o51hkc0 said:

What is he now? 33? 34?

Still could play for a couple years, but he doesn't seem like the type of Euro DP that'd fare well in the MLS. Going from Champions League Matches in front of 80k to 12k in San Jose doesn't sound like a good fit for a guy like Ibrahimovic.

But I guess $$$$ talks, if the MLS throws 5-6M a year at him he'd probably take it.

I get the feeling he wants to brand himself over here (thus the movie deal?). A short playing career to "introduce" Zlatan to the Americans would make sense for him.

Playing wise, he's still one of the better strikers in the world at the moment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ei61ixd said:
Sgt. Largent":2ei61ixd said:
Uncle Si":2ei61ixd said:

What is he now? 33? 34?

I get the feeling he wants to brand himself over here (thus the movie deal?). A short playing career to "introduce" Zlatan to the Americans would make sense for him.

Playing wise, he's still one of the better strikers in the world at the moment.

I don't really understand any soccer star thinking he can come to America to "make it big." Beckham was the most recognizable soccer star on the planet, and even he couldn't really do anything other than a handful of commercials.

What makes Ibra and his agent think anyone in the US gives a crap about a soccer player 99.99% of the US population knows nothing about?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They see something here though, as others do. Its not 99.99%

Soccer is the 2nd most watched sport in the United States. People just aren't watching it on the networks or at the stadiums. They are streaming the games. Again, you drop in on any elementary, middle or high school in the continental US (outside maybe the Seattle area) and you will find the ratio of Euro club team jerseys being worn to MLS ones about 20-1 if an MLS team exists there, 100-0 if they don't.

Now, Zlatan is a brand. And a very popular one. He's probably one of the most recognizable players in the world at the moment. Popular enough to make it "big" here? Debatable. But I'm sure he recognizes a market exists, because of Beckham.

I don't think you're giving Beckham (the brand) enough credit. His name went far beyond a handful of commercials. He instilled marketability in the MLS. He brought attention to the league. He put people in the stands. For a 2-3 year stretch he was the most popular player in the United States... and he's from England. His path and progress here seems to be one that other aging European stars want a part of as well. Steven Gerrard is not coming over here for soccer. He wants to cash in on his popularity as a Liverpool legend... in Los Angeles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Becks was unique, even suburban housewives who don't even like sports knew who he was because of his brand and who he was married too.

Iba isn't even close to that level of celebrity. Not saying he can't come over stateside and have a little success. But if he thinks he's going to be warmly embraced by mainstream America and make tens of millions like Beckham doing endorsements, TV, movies, etc. I just can't see that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":125iq4fl said:
Becks was unique, even suburban housewives who don't even like sports knew who he was because of his brand and who he was married too.

Iba isn't even close to that level of celebrity. Not saying he can't come over stateside and have a little success. But if he thinks he's going to be warmly embraced by mainstream America and make tens of millions like Beckham doing endorsements, TV, movies, etc. I just can't see that.

I don't think any of the Euro league players coming over think they will be Becks (Ronaldo would in fairness). But they see the path that Becks followed and the opportunity.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3nd43jyo said:
Sgt. Largent":3nd43jyo said:

I don't think any of the Euro league players coming over think they will be Becks (Ronaldo would in fairness). But they see the path that Becks followed and the opportunity.

What do you think the impact would be if Chicharito would join MLS?