Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1m059o5l said:
Smurf":1m059o5l said:
hawkfan68":1m059o5l said:
Is this Sounders' roster accurate - http://us.soccerway.com/teams/united-states/seattle-sounders-fc/13024/

It shows guys like Farfan and Sturgis on the team but I don't recall them being in any matches to this point. You'd think with how much they have struggled in the midfield that they would get a chance to play.

100% accurate roster.

Neither have been on the field for the first team. Both have made the 18 though...and both have played for S2

I don't think they would fix our issues.

Thanks Smurf. I agree I don't believe that Sturgis or Farfan would be a solution to the issues. They seemed like experienced players so that was where I was coming from regarding playing. I think Sturgis played for Houston Dynamo.

Sturgis has bounced around the league. He's kind of a Journeyman type player. Houston, Colorado are two of his stops after his first stint here.

Farfan used to play for Philadelphia before going to Mexico. Experienced players for sure, but well behind Roldan on the Depth Chart.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2sr8brfq said:
GeekHawk":2sr8brfq said:
Heading up to watch my first ever soccer game... Wish me luck! I will have no clue what's going on, but there will be beer.

Hope you had a great time. Good game to go to. The Sounders played their best game of the season so far. Nice solid win. Morris scored again...he's on a scoring streak 4 goals in the last 4 games.

One of the best performances of the season from the lads tonight. Really moved well in the attacking third, passing was better. Dempsey and Friberg had their best games of the season. Kovar was pretty good too. We pressed a lot higher up the pitch today and it made a big difference. Seemed like there was more energy, more desire. We played quicker. It was nice to see.

4 in 4 is great. Love it for that kid. He's getting good looks, and he's getting time at his natural position up top. He did play a little out wide, and some in behind at times, but he's so much better up top.

Smurf

Reaction score
If you care about friendlies in the middle of the season (you shouldn't), you'll be pleased to know that we are playing West Ham United on July 5th.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smurf":3gyzwwo0 said:
If you care about friendlies in the middle of the season (you shouldn't), you'll be pleased to know that we are playing West Ham United on July 5th.

Is the ham from Kim's left, or right flank?

Sorry. I'll see myself out....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":3gnjf796 said:

Not really....................and on a topic that matters, doesn't look like we're making any moves during this transfer window.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... er-waiting

I guess I understand not wanting to overpay, but isn't this why we sold Oba, to have more cash to go out and get a quality DP? Now we're being told it's just too crazy and expensive right now in the transfer market?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Things feel very stale with the Sounders, especially with no Oba to provide a spark. After the first goal it felt like an uphill battle.

Valdez out yet again

I feel Marshall has committed a few dumb fouls this year that he didn't do in other years, perhaps due to age.

Jones seems to follow up one great play with a boneheaded one the next and seems to get caught in posession at times when going forward.

Mears is off the boil. I don't know if he is done or what but Dallas gave him all day to cross the ball in the box and his delivery was atrocious.

We created some good chances at points with poor finishing but equally gave up just as many chances to Dallas.

Things just feel discombobulated. I don't know what the answer is, especially as we can't sign anyone till summer.

Maybe give Fisher a run at full back but our midfield is disjointed. I still don't know what Roldan is bringing to the team. He runs about a lot but that's it.

If the US get out of the group stage of Copa America for any sort of run and we are without Dempsey and Morris for a stretch we could be in danger of missing the play offs for the first time.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1vd322km said:
Things feel very stale with the Sounders, especially with no Oba to provide a spark. After the first goal it felt like an uphill battle.

Valdez out yet again

I feel Marshall has committed a few dumb fouls this year that he didn't do in other years, perhaps due to age.

Jones seems to follow up one great play with a boneheaded one the next and seems to get caught in posession at times when going forward.

Mears is off the boil. I don't know if he is done or what but Dallas gave him all day to cross the ball in the box and his delivery was atrocious.

We created some good chances at points with poor finishing but equally gave up just as many chances to Dallas.

Things just feel discombobulated. I don't know what the answer is, especially as we can't sign anyone till summer.

Maybe give Fisher a run at full back but our midfield is disjointed. I still don't know what Roldan is bringing to the team. He runs about a lot but that's it.

If the US get out of the group stage of Copa America for any sort of run and we are without Dempsey and Morris for a stretch we could be in danger of missing the play offs for the first time.

I'm starting to think that a run of time without Dempsey may actually help the team....I've said it before, but I don't think Dempsey has a proper role in a 433....We might be better for a stretch without him....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1e2g3zq1 said:

Valdez out yet again

Jones is listed as a left back but there's nothing like that in his play from a "back" point of view. Yedlin played forward from that position but at least he made the effort to come back and help out defensively when needed. Jones doesn't. Defensively this team is terrible and teams have been strategically attacking the area where Jones should be. If I had my way, I'd drop Jones off the team. Playing Remick or Fisher couldn't be any worse that what Jones has given thus far.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":142ay6y0 said:
I'm starting to think that a run of time without Dempsey may actually help the team....I've said it before, but I don't think Dempsey has a proper role in a 433....We might be better for a stretch without him....

He does if he has at least mediocre mids like Ivanschitz and/or Friberg helping and servicing him.

That's why when either or both of these guys play, we look more dynamic and play better, which helps Dempsey. Dempsey's a creator, he can't play in a direct predictable lineup and formation.

IMO which is why we were supposedly going hard after an offensive DP center mid, cause everyone knows it's the key to unlocking what Dempsey brings to the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2asjh3pk said:
Smurf":2asjh3pk said:

He does if he has at least mediocre mids like Ivanschitz and/or Friberg helping and servicing him.

That's why when either or both of these guys play, we look more dynamic and play better, which helps Dempsey. Dempsey's a creator, he can't play in a direct predictable lineup and formation.

IMO which is why we were supposedly going hard after an offensive DP center mid, cause everyone knows it's the key to unlocking what Dempsey brings to the team.

To be fair... its the key to unlocking any team's offense...

but if Dempsey is not your CAM, then where do you play him? in a 4-4-1-1 under Morris? It works if you have a CDM that can break up play and a box-to-box mid that can run forward. You still need more pace out wide.

The Sounders issue from day one this year, even with Oba, was that they lineup seemed disjointed and unbalanced. Oba just gave the team an outlet.

That said, Sporting is struggling with virtually the same issue. An underwhelming midfield and no pace or power out wide or up top to unlock things

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Think this could be the year we miss the play offs. We weren't even bad just unlucky...but it feels like that every game lately. The team needs a spark.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders can't score. That's been a season long issue. Oba would definitely help in that dept. The defense was alright yesterday. They Sounders just couldn't finish their scoring chances. I said at the beginning of the season that they should have let Dempsey go and give an increase to Oba to keep him. A 4-4-2 with Oba/Morris would be very good. Dempsey is a great player but he doesn't consistently impact the games like he used to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1jr7ojct said:
Sounders can't score. That's been a season long issue. Oba would definitely help in that dept. The defense was alright yesterday. They Sounders just couldn't finish their scoring chances. I said at the beginning of the season that they should have let Dempsey go and give an increase to Oba to keep him. A 4-4-2 with Oba/Morris would be very good. Dempsey is a great player but he doesn't consistently impact the games like he used to.

Lagerwey and ownership made their choice, they chose Morris and Valdez over Oba as a stop gap until they could find an offensive mid.

Hopefully by the time that player arrives, it won't be too late..........and hopefully that works out.

IMO they made a huge mistake. Oba was under contract, and had a dynamic fantastic playing relationship with Dempsey.......for at least 2-3 more years. Why disrupt that for Morris who even if he played well is gone in a year or two?

We traded a sure thing for a maybe, and it's blowing up in our faces.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gioiq8n said:
hawkfan68":1gioiq8n said:

Lagerwey and ownership made their choice, they chose Morris and Valdez over Oba as a stop gap until they could find an offensive mid.

Hopefully by the time that player arrives, it won't be too late..........and hopefully that works out.

IMO they made a huge mistake. Oba was under contract, and had a dynamic fantastic playing relationship with Dempsey.......for at least 2-3 more years. Why disrupt that for Morris who even if he played well is gone in a year or two?

For the sake of $2million it seems dumb. Heck if Oba was unhappy I would have given him a raise, even if it meant selling/trading Dempsey. Not that Dempsey is a bad player but I think a) Oba is better, b) Dempsey is in the downswing of his career and c) I think Oba would have done better partnering Morris.

Now we've got to survive/not keep dropping points until the summer and hope to get someone in. Even then who knows if that person will be game fit. Seems that any person we get from abroad doesn't show their best until their first full season when they've had a preseason with the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1kagxrsk said:
Sgt. Largent":1kagxrsk said:
hawkfan68":1kagxrsk said:

For the sake of $2million it seems dumb. Heck if Oba was unhappy I would have given him a raise, even if it meant selling/trading Dempsey. Not that Dempsey is a bad player but I think a) Oba is better, b) Dempsey is in the downswing of his career and c) I think Oba would have done better partnering Morris.

Now we've got to survive/not keep dropping points until the summer and hope to get someone in. Even then who knows if that person will be game fit. Seems that any person we get from abroad doesn't show their best until their first full season when they've had a preseason with the team.

That's the thing, Oba's contract with Shanghai is for 6.6 million per year, which is a substantial raise over the 3.6 he was making here.

So I guess I understand the Sounders not wanting to get into a bidding war..........and maybe there would have been some politics with Dempsey being pissed that Oba was making as much or more than him?

Idk, work it out. The DP rule is there for a reason, to make your best players happy. Now we're paying Valdez over a million to not produce and get hurt like he always does.

Again, if you're gonna get rid of your best player UNDER contract, you better get more than 2M, especially to a league like China that's handing out ridiculous transfer and loan fees like Tic Tacs.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Fair point about us maybe not matching the wages but we had him under contract so we could have had him for at least a half season to a season longer until we got a replacement in whether Oba liked it or not. If he demanded to leave then the summer would have been more appropriate not weeks before the season started. $2million just seems low, if the Chinese had money to burn, make them pay up.

I'm guessing they thought Morris would not be a drop in standard which is a crappy thing to do placing everything on him. Morris is good but he is young and raw and will no doubt be extremely streaky at points while he learns. I'm guessing they also thought they could lean on Valdez despite history showing he is injury prone.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":350hnigi said:
hawkfan68":350hnigi said:

They chose to pay 2 players who want to be here, half of what they would have had to pay a player who didn't want to be here.

Martins is a merc of a player. Always have been. Look at his career history.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":2umxgvmi said:
Sgt. Largent":2umxgvmi said:
hawkfan68":2umxgvmi said:

They chose to pay 2 players who want to be here, half of what they would have had to pay a player who didn't want to be here.

What players aren't this way? Let's not be naive, even Dempsey only came here because we're paying him 8M a year, a salary he couldn't get in Europe.

If we didn't want to pay Oba 6M to match Shanghai? That's fine. I don't agree, but that's fine.

Where's Oba's DP replacement? That's the question we need answered. Supposedly this extra 2M we got from Oba's transfer fee was suppose to go to a top tier attacking CM, but nope, hasn't happened. Because once again the Sounder's overestimated their ability to get the top tier transfer market players.

I honestly haven't agreed with hardly any of Lagerwey's moves. I liked the Morris signing, but not at the expense of our best player.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pbhisum said:
Smurf":3pbhisum said:
Sgt. Largent":3pbhisum said:
hawkfan68":3pbhisum said:

What players aren't this way? Let's not be naive, even Dempsey only came here because we're paying him 8M a year, a salary he couldn't get in Europe.

If we didn't want to pay Oba 6M to match Shanghai? That's fine. I don't agree, but that's fine.

Where's Oba's DP replacement? That's the question we need answered. Supposedly this extra 2M we got from Oba's transfer fee was suppose to go to a top tier attacking CM, but nope, hasn't happened. Because once again the Sounder's overestimated their ability to get the top tier transfer market players.

I honestly haven't agreed with hardly any of Lagerwey's moves. I liked the Morris signing, but not at the expense of our best player.

I'd rather we find the right player, than sign a player just to sign a player.

Latest posts