Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
For those that care, Sounders beat Kitsap 2-0 last night in the 4th round of the US Open Cup. They will face RSL in the Round of 16 on the 28th or 29th.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Really can't get into the Open cup until the semi finals. Watching mostly back up players is pretty boring and other MLS teams just go through the motions.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders have been a hot mess all season and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. They have zero offense and their defense hasn't been much better either. Alonso's play has really regressed. His passing is extremely poor. There were a number of times he short kicked the ball right to the Red Bulls player in the back half of the pitch. It just seems like his effort is waning too. There needs to be a concerted effort to find his replacement soon. Is he still taking up a DP spot?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":13i134co said:
Sounders have been a hot mess all season and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. They have zero offense and their defense hasn't been much better either. Alonso's play has really regressed. His passing is extremely poor. There were a number of times he short kicked the ball right to the Red Bulls player in the back half of the pitch. It just seems like his effort is waning too. There needs to be a concerted effort to find his replacement soon. Is he still taking up a DP spot?

I said last month, Alonso looks fat and out of shape............not sure what's going on with him, not in his nature to not be fit. Maybe never recovered fully from his injuries the past couple of years idk.

It's only June, but this season seems lost to me. Even when we get Clint back, and maybe add our 4th choice DP if that ever happens we can sneak into the playoffs. But even that seems far fetched with how poor our form's been thus far.........and even if we do sneak in, we're gonna get crushed. Too much quality in the West right now.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2juzobhp said:
hawkfan68":2juzobhp said:

I said last month, Alonso looks fat and out of shape............not sure what's going on with him, not in his nature to not be fit. Maybe never recovered fully from his injuries the past couple of years idk.

It's only June, but this season seems lost to me. Even when we get Clint back, and maybe add our 4th choice DP if that ever happens we can sneak into the playoffs. But even that seems far fetched with how poor our form's been thus far.........and even if we do sneak in, we're gonna get crushed. Too much quality in the West right now.

I 100% agree....

...but, this is MLS. You don't necessarily need to be good to win the cup. Get in, and your luck could change.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":17olx2e3 said:
...but, this is MLS. You don't necessarily need to be good to win the cup. Get in, and your luck could change.

Yeah well this is the Sounders, we're suppose to have higher standards than settling for this mentality.

If we don't make the playoffs........and even if we barely do and get bounced I better see both Lagerwey and Sigi get bounced.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":4lpftpmx said:
Moving Joevin Jones up to winger didn't work out, that's for sure.

Jones is fast, that's about it. He's too raw and inconsistent to give us any real production. Good prospect, and can come on in minute 75 to wear out a defense, but that's about it.

That's the sad part of this club right now, with Ozzie not being Ozzie our entire midfield needs an overhaul, our backline is a mess and our best scorer is a 33 year old aging vet on the downside of his career.

We're still the Sounders, a club with deep pockets and the ownership, city, training facilities and presence in the MLS to turn it around.........but it ain't gonna be this year.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2r8p11aq said:
hawkfan68":2r8p11aq said:

We're also paying Valdez good money when he is injury prone and old. I expect a DP striker to carry a team when Dempsey is out like Oba did. He hasn't done that.

Our defense has also been poor, play Evans at RB or not at all. Marshall has lost a step, your expecting miracles from Zach Scott at this stage of his career, Mears has been out of form and Jones is good going forward but poor at defending.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1pmoly3t said:
Our defense has also been poor, play Evans at RB or not at all. Marshall has lost a step, your expecting miracles from Zach Scott at this stage of his career, Mears has been out of form and Jones is good going forward but poor at defending.

Both Evans and Scott should have been off this club years ago, especially considering we're still paying Evans 300k per year. Just the fact that we're having a conversation about two over the hill journeyman MLS vets being the anchor of your center defense due to injuries is damning enough. We knew Torres was gone for at least half a season, to not go out and at least get an experienced backup was shortsighted at best.

And everyone already knows what I think about Valdez, not much. If a player has been oft injured forever, then why would you expect him to be anything less than that here? On top of that, to make him the focal point of your center attack paired with an unproven rookie? Disaster.

I was OK with the Lagerwey hire initially, he had done a great job with far less talent and money in SLC.......but the longer this season goes the more it seems he was in over his head given the purse strings and power of a bigger club.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Get joevin jones to eff.

Yes we lost a goal that shouldnt have stood but we could have played for 3 hours and not scored.

Whats worse is we're not even fun to watch. If we were losing exciting games id be less pissed but its an absolute chore right now.

Changes needed asap

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders can't score. Last season's team would have won this game 3-0 even if they didn't have Dempsey or Oba. I wish that Barrett and Neagle were still on the team. It's that bad. The biggest issue is the lack of player development. None of young guys are ready for league play. Morris can't do it by himself. It's getting to the point where each game is vital. They are giving games away. It's Christmas time on the pitch when the Sounders play. For opponents that is...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":17qa5rue said:
SeatownJay":17qa5rue said:
Seattle really are a bad team this year. Can we please dump Sigi now?

Keep Morris.

Everyone else can go.

And Frei..........but that's it. It's time to clean house, from top to bottom. There isn't a position, manager, assistant or executive that should be safe.

This is the worst club this franchise has put on the pitch since inception, and it's time for changes.

btw, what the hell happened to having the best international scouting staff in the MLS? Where are the new crop of Ozzie's, Montero's and Flaco's? Also, what happened to the Sounders purchasing African Lyon? Remember all we saw were Tanzania tourist ads all over the Clink for 2-3 seasons because there was a supposed effort to scout players in Tanzania and the rest of Africa?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d986wue said:
Smurf":2d986wue said:
SeatownJay":2d986wue said:
Seattle really are a bad team this year. Can we please dump Sigi now?

Keep Morris.

Everyone else can go.

And Frei..........but that's it. It's time to clean house, from top to bottom. There isn't a position, manager, assistant or executive that should be safe.

This is the worst club this franchise has put on the pitch since inception, and it's time for changes.

btw, what the hell happened to having the best international scouting staff in the MLS? Where are the new crop of Ozzie's, Montero's and Flaco's? Also, what happened to the Sounders purchasing African Lyon? Remember all we saw were Tanzania tourist ads all over the Clink for 2-3 seasons because there was a supposed effort to scout players in Tanzania and the rest of Africa?

I don't think it ever materialized...the African Lyon purchase. According to the article - http://blog.seattlepi.com/sounders/2010/08/24/sounders-gm-hanauer-explains-interest-in-african-lyon/.
I went to Wikipedia and it had no mention of the Sounders being owning them and trying to go to their website resulted in this - http://www.africanlyonfc.com/. Doesn't look like they exist anymore.

Latest posts