Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Part of it is the complete lack of continuity along the back line. Seattle has started six different back line combinations in ten matches with eight different players. I know this is mainly due to injury, but still.

Smurf

Reaction score
This team is not healthy.

This team is not confident.

This team has HORRIBLE luck right now.

We'll work through it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":1ujrss69 said:
This team is not healthy.

This team is not confident.

This team has HORRIBLE luck right now.

We'll work through it.

I'm with Seatown Jay, we DESPERATELY need some continuity and better play from the backline. They are flat out awful right now, and I know it's hard with so many guys coming in and out trying to communicate and be in the right spots.

Torres's myriad of injuries are also starting to grate on me. Dude is right up there with Brittle Brad as the most often injured Sounder.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cco8x5j said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2cco8x5j said:
I still worry about deuce and lodeiro playing together.

We kinda knew this going into this year didn't we?

Clint and Lodeiro are both creators occupying the same spaces inside. Both want to be on the ball as much as possible getting their touches.

I see a lot of getting in each other's way, especially on Lodeiro's part, which has neutered what he does best, move all over the pitch touching the ball a million times getting everyone involved.

Not sure what the answer is, but it's getting very frustrating to watch.

Watched the SKC match..

Dempsey doesn't move. He occupies central spaces and never vacates them unless he has the ball. There is little fluidity to his game at the moment and he is clearly obstructing other players. Not to mention he is a liability defensively.

Why not make him a true 9 (or even a false one?) He's still good enough technically and this would push him higher up the field and let the rest of the players move around with more fluidity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zmdxtvn said:
Sgt. Largent":2zmdxtvn said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2zmdxtvn said:
I still worry about deuce and lodeiro playing together.

We kinda knew this going into this year didn't we?

Clint and Lodeiro are both creators occupying the same spaces inside. Both want to be on the ball as much as possible getting their touches.

I see a lot of getting in each other's way, especially on Lodeiro's part, which has neutered what he does best, move all over the pitch touching the ball a million times getting everyone involved.

Not sure what the answer is, but it's getting very frustrating to watch.

Watched the SKC match..

Dempsey doesn't move. He occupies central spaces and never vacates them unless he has the ball. There is little fluidity to his game at the moment and he is clearly obstructing other players. Not to mention he is a liability defensively.

Why not make him a true 9 (or even a false one?) He's still good enough technically and this would push him higher up the field and let the rest of the players move around with more fluidity.

Dempsey didn't play in the SKC match.

But overall I agree, Dempsey needs to be pushed up higher where they're playing Bruin, who's been worthless so far. Then Morris can stay outside and make his runs and Lodeiro can get back to being the possession mid we need him to be.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well don't I feel stupid (granted I was half watching in a hotel room). Who was playing the #8 then? Was that Lodeiro? I thought he was wide?

If that's the case though, then its functional issue with the formation and system. I saw alot of Lodeiro in the middle (was he just playing the 10?) but being closed out of space by his own wingers, who seem to be tucked in. I honestly thought Lodeiro was out wide and that was Dempsey starting in the middle? either way, no room at all for the CAM with the wingers tucked in so tight. And with no support from the wingbacks to create width, players like Lodeiro don't have half spaces to find or outlets to connect.

Sounders had a couple good chances in the first half as I recall.

edit.. Fernandez was my Dempsey.

2nd edit... what formation are they playing? was it just a 4231 with inverted wingers? I thought they played Morris more in the typical 4231 wide?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2elzq2yy said:
2nd edit... what formation are they playing? was it just a 4231 with inverted wingers? I thought they played Morris more in the typical 4231 wide?

idk, they've been playing variations of the 4231 for the entire year pretty much I think.

Flaco was garbage last year, and he's garbage this year. This club doesn't have the depth to roll out the lineup they rolled out against SKC, everything just breaks down so easy in all three thirds........especially the backline.

We desperately need Torres and Fisher back to get that line back in shape.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r78vqpk said:
Uncle Si":3r78vqpk said:

idk, they've been playing variations of the 4231 for the entire year pretty much I think.

Flaco was garbage last year, and he's garbage this year. This club doesn't have the depth to roll out the lineup they rolled out against SKC, everything just breaks down so easy in all three thirds........especially the backline.

I had to go back and watch highlights (still confused by the Dempsey thing... i apparently thought Fernandez was Lodeiro and Dempsey was Lodeiro).

they looked to be in a 4231 with the wingers (Morris and Fernandez) tucked in. It sprung a couple chances, but in the 2nd half gave way too much space out wide, where the wing backs for Seattle struggled to provide any pressure out there

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3alwye5e said:
Uncle Si":3alwye5e said:

Fisher? You mean Jones? Fisher got burned for one of the goals we gave away?

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2akklco6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2akklco6 said:
Uncle Si":2akklco6 said:

I had to go back and watch highlights (still confused by the Dempsey thing... i apparently thought Fernandez was Lodeiro and Dempsey was Lodeiro).

they looked to be in a 4231 with the wingers (Morris and Fernandez) tucked in. It sprung a couple chances, but in the 2nd half gave way too much space out wide, where the wing backs for Seattle struggled to provide any pressure out there

There is zero continuity right now with the personnel and thus the formation changes. We have played just about every version of the 4231 imaginable. We need to get healthy, and we need someone to score a friggin goal.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

Morris is too unselfish. He needs to be more greedy and take shots. He passed up some opportunities because he went for an assist rather take a shot. It resulted in the ball being taken away and an opportunity missed. He did earn a PK which Dempsey decided to waste on a kick straight to Rimando.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2t08r0j8 said:
The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

Morris is too unselfish. He needs to be more greedy and take shots. He passed up some opportunities because he went for an assist rather take a shot. It resulted in the ball being taken away and an opportunity missed. He did earn a PK which Dempsey decided to waste on a kick straight to Rimando.

Its just hilarious how there was Encroachment by Sunny on that PK attempt...where was our retake? HMMMM???

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":31uncwdk said:

I'm OK with the unselfishness, and remember most of those opportunities you'd maybe like to see Morris take are when he's coming in on bad angle runs. Very difficult shots to slip by the goalie.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2xb17g2a said:
hawkfan68":2xb17g2a said:

Its just hilarious how there was Encroachment by Sunny on that PK attempt...where was our retake? HMMMM???

really?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2t25xhoh said:
Smurf":2t25xhoh said:
hawkfan68":2t25xhoh said:

really?

Here are the match highlights https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...oal-gives-sounders-win-over-rsl?autoplay=true

it doesn't seem like encroachment to me.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":tvb1zky7 said:
Uncle Si":tvb1zky7 said:
Smurf":tvb1zky7 said:
hawkfan68":tvb1zky7 said:

really?

Here are the match highlights https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...oal-gives-sounders-win-over-rsl?autoplay=true

it doesn't seem like encroachment to me.
F6JPPFV

Same thing that Roldan got called for vs Chicago.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If you say so Smurf. Not only does that not look like encroachment but I've never heard someone argue for it... like anywhere.

Anyways,... 5 of the 7 games in the MLS were 1-0 tonight. Thought that interesting

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lbv75dx said:
If you say so Smurf. Not only does that not look like encroachment but I've never heard someone argue for it... like anywhere.

Anyways,... 5 of the 7 games in the MLS were 1-0 tonight. Thought that interesting

I only saw it argued one place...the similarities between that photo and the photos from chicago (where fire players were inside the 18) made me laugh.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.