Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1w8v76hr said:
Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Bruins hurt. He broke his arm or similar.

As soon as I heard dempsey and morris were called up and we had no experienced forwards playing I wrote this game off. A joke they couldnt move this game to stop us being disadvantaged. Most leagues dont play when there are national team games nearby.

Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful.

Fernandez is also a waste of a jersey these days. Which sucks as he was good in his rookie season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1m1cy8br said:
hawkfan68":1m1cy8br said:
Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Bruins hurt. He broke his arm or similar.

As soon as I heard dempsey and morris were called up and we had no experienced forwards playing I wrote this game off. A joke they couldnt move this game to stop us being disadvantaged. Most leagues dont play when there are national team games nearby.

Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful.

Fernandez is also a waste of a jersey these days. Which sucks as he was good in his rookie season.

I forgot Bruin had hurt his elbow. Thanks for the reminder :2thumbs:

I would of rather they put Lodeiro or Shipp at forward. But it was a shit show for 90 minutes. Hope never to see that again but I'm sure we will as the season progresses. Depth on the team is very bad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2lu3l66d said:
Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful..

I've been done with Brittle Brad for 4 years, why we continue to give him 300k per year to play half the matches I have no idea.

Torres is the same way, dude can't stay on the pitch.

I'm more concerned with why all of a sudden, full strength or not we've become such a terrible road club. We used to be a great road club, even without being at full strength roster wise we could usually at least make it close, or even pull a match out.

This club is getting it's pants pulled down and spanked almost every road match now. Not a good trend.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2zza3o4x said:

Could someone explain the offsides rule to me. On those first two goals Columbus clearly had a player beyond the defenders before the shot and they were offsides when the ball was struck. Did the refs just miss the calls? The announcers made no mention of it.

I'm not saying it should have been called I am just asking for clarification of the rule.

Here are the highlights of the game.

[youtube]gWQmg3jTpRk[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":xwwkf8ly said:
hawkfan68":xwwkf8ly said:

Could someone explain the offsides rule to me. On those first two goals Columbus clearly had a player beyond the defenders before the shot and they were offsides when the ball was struck. Did the refs just miss the calls? The announcers made no mention of it.

I'm not saying it should have been called I am just asking for clarification of the rule.

Offsides is not when the ball is shot, it's when the pass occurred (past the midfield line). Once the play is deemed onsides, the players can be anywhere when the ball is shot.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aq6jwcz said:
bigtrain21":3aq6jwcz said:
hawkfan68":3aq6jwcz said:

Offsides is not when the ball is shot, it's when the pass occurred (past the midfield line). Once the play is deemed onsides, the players can be anywhere when the ball is shot.

So just to clarify. Those two players that got the goals, as long as they were onsides when they received the pass past the midfield line the play is deemed onsides?

If they pass to the player that is offsides that changes things right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3gcnpfja said:
So just to clarify. Those two players that got the goals, as long as they were onsides when they received the pass past the midfield line the play is deemed onsides?

It can be confusing, so maybe a pic is in order.

Offside2

But yes, it has more to do with who's engaged in the pass than the other players around him.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6cnxq28t said:
bigtrain21":6cnxq28t said:

Offside2

But yes, it has more to do with who's engaged in the pass than the other players around him.

Thanks. I appreciate it. One last clarification from the picture you posted. If the guy with the ball would have just immediately launched a shot on goal instead of passing to the up top, would the guy in the center listed as offsides have been okay or would it technically be offsides?

Smurf

Reaction score
bigtrain21":j15kzcn8 said:
Sgt. Largent":j15kzcn8 said:
bigtrain21":j15kzcn8 said:

Offside2

Thanks. I appreciate it. One last clarification from the picture you posted. If the guy with the ball would have just immediately launched a shot on goal instead of passing to the up top, would the guy in the center listed as offsides have been okay or would it technically be offsides?

He would be offsides.

Smurf

Reaction score
Some notes:

- Will Bruin's injury came at a pretty terrible time for us.

- It's really nice to have Brad Evans back. He's been solid since coming back. He was rested last night, along with Chad Marshall so that they, as older players, don't pick up knocks.

- Torres should be fully fit soon.

- Tony Alfaro has just about played himself off the roster. Besides a decent performance at LA Away, he's been garbage.

- Adekoya has a pretty nice game IMO, He made some good runs, had some good touches. Messed up his one big chance, but He'll learn. Not bad for his second time on an MLS pitch.

- I liked the attempt to play Jones at LM, but we were too weak in the back for it. He should have started at LB (where he moved to later).

- Harry Shipp picking up hip injury in training really hurt our selection. If he's able to go 90, I feel we would have had a better game. He and Bruin were brought in specifically for games like this.

- There is really no reason why the USMNT players had to be unavailable for this game. Kind of a crappy time to call them up, should have left strait from Columbus to Cali.

- I'd like to see Aaron Kovar on the pitch at some point. I think the kids a solid possession midfielder who can swing in a good ball. Pair him up with Will Bruin and I think good things will happen.

- Nico is KILLING me with his dead ball service this year. It's so poor. Lofted balls, not on target. Killing me. He needs to be better.

- I think this team has some pretty bad luck right now, but I also don't feel like they are doing enough to create their own luck. They aren't taking enough shots. I'd like them to just pepper the goal in their next outing. Be selfish. Shoot, and FFS shoot to the far post with your off foot. Deuce is the only one on the team who can do it, and its frustrating.

- Keep playing youngsters. Not just Morris. Get minutes to Wingo, Adekoya and others.

- I 100% still believe in Brian Schmetzer and that he is the man for the job.

- I also thing that, Despite there being 7 open roster spots, that Garth Lagerway has done a good job in not bending away from his philosophy. He has not bought a player yet that didn't have a distinct role within our club. He hasn't panic bought anyone.

- I'd like to see us try a few different things tactically, but I understand that with our fixture congestion that may be difficult. I'd like to see them try a 352/532 or a 343/541. I think we have better talent at CB then we do outside back and it could alleviate some of our roster issues.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":31hv48kq said:
They aren't taking enough shots.
They are 3rd in the league in shots taken. Their problem isn't that they aren't taking shots, it's that their shot accuracy is terrible.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It seems the Sounders are always the club most impacted by USMNT call ups. Each season it's the Sounders losing ground during call ups. Quite frustrating. Considering they are not playing well, it's even more frustrating now.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":80muyudd said:
Smurf":80muyudd said:
They aren't taking enough shots.
They are 3rd in the league in shots taken. Their problem isn't that they aren't taking shots, it's that their shot accuracy is terrible.

I'm aware we are 3rd in the league in shots taken...but its till not enough. The way we were playing early in the season we should be league leaders.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

I hate to say this, but the Sounder's are a far more fluid and dynamic attacking side without Dempsey clogging up the middle demanding his touches and taking away from what Lodeiro does best, distribute.

Even shorthanded last night without Dempsey and Morris, I saw more possession, more GOOD possession (in final 3rd), and far more dangerous chances.

Lastly I like Jones at mid, he was for most of the match the only one putting pressure on Houston's back line, and worked very well with Lodeiro and Flaco.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32u34js2 said:
Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

I hate to say this, but the Sounder's are a far more fluid and dynamic attacking side without Dempsey clogging up the middle demanding his touches and taking away from what Lodeiro does best, distribute.

Even shorthanded last night without Dempsey and Morris, I saw more possession, more GOOD possession (in final 3rd), and far more dangerous chances.

Lastly I like Jones at mid, he was for most of the match the only one putting pressure on Houston's back line, and worked very well with Lodeiro and Flaco.

They changed when they took Cubo out. Elis is FAST and they tried to beat us using his speed. It nearly worked.

Smurf

Reaction score
Thoughts:

- Gutsy performance by Bruin. Not the best, but it was enough.

- Christian Roldan is the best player on our roster right now.

- Aaron Kovar looked really solid. He took players on, made good passes, showed strength on the ball, defended well, and most of all, he looked comfortable with the ball on his right foot. If we can get that type of performance from him consistently...watch out. He was awesome last night, and a big reason why we won.

- Torres gotta be careful. He's gotten caught a few times too high up the pitch.

- Ref missed a few calls last night, including a clear handball in the box. Par for the course this season.

- Gustav Svensson was a tremendous pick up. I'm curious if they could pull off a 343/352 with him in the back line of three with Marshall and Torres. He was great last night in the holding MF role.

- Joevin looked dangerous all night.

- Nouhou was pretty solid. He's QUICK and not afraid to go at someone with his pace. Picked out Jones last night really well.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1aegb2jt said:

Dempsey is a tremendous player and his achievements are worldly but I still believe the wrong guy got sent to China at the beginning of last season. They should have let Dempsey go and made a serious effort to hang on to Martins. This team would be much better with a Martins and Morris combo on top.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":4o4igat5 said:
Sgt. Largent":4o4igat5 said:

They changed when they took Cubo out. Elis is FAST and they tried to beat us using his speed. It nearly worked.

Houston subbed, but they never changed to a more aggressive formation to put more numbers forward.........Keller even commented on this during the match.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Fernandez has announces to urugian media he has played his last game for the sounders and is leaving shortly.

Not fussed by this, would rather give a young player a chance to develop.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1c6eabj6 said:
Fernandez has announces to urugian media he has played his last game for the sounders and is leaving shortly.

Not fussed by this, would rather give a young player a chance to develop.

Ditto.

Appreciate Flaco, but he never came close to his prior form with the club. My guess is yes, we'll go young until the summer transfer window opens and try and get a DP winger.