Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5yl8zk4d said:
hawkfan68":5yl8zk4d said:
Glasgow Seahawk":5yl8zk4d said:
Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.

I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?

Welcome to the MLS, the no transparency league.

I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.

You watch, now that Blanco's going to Portland, Nagbe is gone to Celtic. Which will only prove I'm right that the league stepped in and told Portland that if they agreed to sell Nagbe, they'd get them Blanco.

The European transfer window is closed so Nagbe is at Portland till the summer at least

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":15wgi8j1 said:
Uncle Si":15wgi8j1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":15wgi8j1 said:
For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.

Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12

Im just talking about already world class established players. Every mls team owns discovery rights to these guys despite never having discovered them and them being common knowledge. I used 36 year old drogba as an example . Montreal had to pay a chunk of change to chicago for those rites. There should be an age limit or a rule stopping players from the top leagues being included as they rarely have to be scouted and are well known.

Yeah I misread the "discovery" rights...

what a sham

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1au76hv6 said:
I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.

Not gonna pretend like i know anything about this, but I read that he's a past teammate, and good friends with, Diego Valeri. Might be as simple as that.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1kzmhyfm said:
knownone":1kzmhyfm said:
I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.

I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).
I actually agree with you on Morris, I'm mostly grading his long-term potential in MLS, I think he'd be a dominant inverted winger long term in MLS. You are right, though, in Europe, he probably doesn't have the skill to play in any of the major leagues at that position. Now, I'd argue that at 22, unless Morris makes a huge jump (which is entirely possible) I have a hard time seeing him play for anything but a low to mid table team in Europe as a CF (Unless he's in Scandinavia or Ligue 1), and for the Nats I actually like Rubio Rubin long term over Morris at CF both are young though so we'll see...

You are right, they could slide Morris out wide, or maybe they are high on Fernandez/Shipp and thus keep Bruin on the bench, which is possible both guys look pretty good so far in the preseason. I don't think we'll see a diamond mid, only because Garth has made it a point to stick with one system to make it easier to swap players in and out. It's possible, though, and let's be real, that's probably the best-case scenario for Dempsey.

Bruin is not gonna wow you, he's not great with the ball at his feet, he's average at hold up play, he's not gonna impress with his creativity or finishing. What he has is great positional awareness and deceptive movement off the ball which I believe will translate well with the number of creative players Seattle has.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3vmbmhi2 said:
It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.

Would you rather have Montero or Dempsey?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":kxg8trbj said:

We have a DP spot open now don't we cause Valdez left?

Is Montero the DP we want? Probably not, but we have an open DP slot.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1qwsl8db said:
We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.

Yep, I think we wait until the summer transfer window and add a winger or back.

Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":uddte2oz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":uddte2oz said:

Would you rather have Montero or Dempsey?
Easily Dempsey for me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1runebi6 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1runebi6 said:

Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.

I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2cjmhhj1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2cjmhhj1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2cjmhhj1 said:

I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).

But what if Dempsey comes back in full form and we want him for 2-3 more years?

That's my point, don't rush out and get another similar DP to Dempsey if Dempsey isn't going anywhere. Then we can use that DP slot on another position of need like winger or defender.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14exa4us said:
Uncle Si":14exa4us said:

That's my point, don't rush out and get another similar DP to Dempsey if Dempsey isn't going anywhere. Then we can use that DP slot on another position of need like winger or defender.

Like i said, then you play with 3 CAMs across the front line with Morris above them for the next 2-3 years..

Its a formation that alot of clubs are moving to. More possession in higher areas up the field, allows for more efficient transitions and more flexibility across the front.

Essentially, instead of playing a 4231 with wide wingers who use speed you play it with tucked in wingers who unlock teams with technical and tactical acumen... like having two Lodeiros on either side of Dempsey

City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are doing the same thing to great effect at the moment.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i7gf9gg said:
Uncle Si":1i7gf9gg said:
Sgt. Largent":1i7gf9gg said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1i7gf9gg said:

Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":22uskcyh said:
Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.

Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2om56y74 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2om56y74 said:

Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.

You run into a situation like United have with Wayne Rooney then. I don't see any way that Dempsey comes back and has the kind of year that would earn him a bigger contract for two more years.

If the Sounders were to re-sign him, it would have to be for less money than he is making. He is certainly going to help the team, but I think it would be a smart play by the Sounders to focus more on his replacement than invest in his future.

re: Honda: would be a good MLS player. Technical winger, not pacey, would play well inside with Lodeiro and Dempsey.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

814a746fb432403abf42ebe47f2b10ea_small.png