Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":4qnga27u said:
Uncle Si":4qnga27u said:
SeatownJay":4qnga27u said:
Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.

Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)

Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.

Minnesota wasn't terrible by any means. they just could not defend the crosses well. thought both teams were benign in possession, with Portland really preferring to hit on the counter.

Porter is a good coach. I think he will have them in the playoff hunt all season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":mhtdtxr7 said:
Uncle Si":mhtdtxr7 said:
SeatownJay":mhtdtxr7 said:

Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.

You mean Blanco that should be in a Sounders kit!

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21hbx9ek said:
JSeahawks":21hbx9ek said:
Uncle Si":21hbx9ek said:
SeatownJay":21hbx9ek said:

Minnesota wasn't terrible by any means. they just could not defend the crosses well. thought both teams were benign in possession, with Portland really preferring to hit on the counter.

Porter is a good coach. I think he will have them in the playoff hunt all season.

You know they have to play games on the road too right? :p

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":352o3qeg said:
Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover

It was either Dempsey or Svensson. Can't recall which.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So was the plan for Brad to play RB, or is Svennson our starting RB?

Cause he was kinda shaky, not sure that's an upgrade over Mears going forward.

Also would like to know why Schmetzer let Dempsey play a full 90, he was gassed after minute 70 committing bad turnovers. I know he scored, and that's great, but not sure I want him playing full matches until he's 100% fit, which it's obvious he's not.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":341t53dx said:

Also would like to know why Schmetzer let Dempsey play a full 90, he was gassed after minute 70 committing bad turnovers. I know he scored, and that's great, but not sure I want him playing full matches until he's 100% fit, which it's obvious he's not.
Here is how out of the loop I've been this offseason. I heard Svensson was starting at right back and assumed the Sounders signed Jonas Svensson and was wondering why he looked so much older and slower than I expected... Jonas Svensson is Norway's version of Yedlin and would have been an absolute score for MLS and the Sounders. Sadly I looked it up during the game and found it was a different Svensson who apparently plays CDM and given that he is a CDM and looked in your words "shaky" (I agree btw) I would assume Brad Evans is the RB for the Sounders when healthy. It does lead me to question why the Sounders didn't at the very least sign an adequate backup, given the amount of resources they've spent on positions of strength.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":20tx0nap said:
Uncle Si":20tx0nap said:
Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover

It was either Dempsey or Svensson. Can't recall which.

Was so poor. Made no effort to recover.

Just got my free tickets to Seattle at MN United, 8/5, courtesy of the MN High School league (benefits of winning a state title)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
knownone":uhjd5ejw said:
Sgt. Largent":uhjd5ejw said:

Here is how out of the loop I've been this offseason. I heard Svensson was starting at right back and assumed the Sounders signed Jonas Svensson and was wondering why he looked so much older and slower than I expected... Jonas Svensson is Norway's version of Yedlin and would have been an absolute score for MLS and the Sounders. Sadly I looked it up during the game and found it was a different Svensson who apparently plays CDM and given that he is a CDM and looked in your words "shaky" (I agree btw) I would assume Brad Evans is the RB for the Sounders when healthy. It does lead me to question why the Sounders didn't at the very least sign an adequate backup, given the amount of resources they've spent on positions of strength.

I questioned this during the off season, especially as Evans was hurt a ton last year. At the very least why wasn't Fisher playing who is a more natural RB?

As for Dempsey, agreed he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes when he is just coming back. However, going forward when he is fully fit, are we expecting to play a 34/35 year old for full games? Especially when you have Bruin on the bench.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":ri8wq6kv said:
I questioned this during the off season, especially as Evans was hurt a ton last year. At the very least why wasn't Fisher playing who is a more natural RB?.

idk, I didn't read about any new injury to Fisher.

Or how bout finally cutting ties with Evans and keeping Mears as a bench player, and saving 150k. Not sure what our love affair with Brad is for the past 2-3 years. I understand he's versatile, but when's the last time he's made it through even half a season without being Brittle Brad and getting hurt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe Fisher coming on and contributing heavily to the tying goal will show Schmetzer that he belongs in the starting 11 as most of us were confused with last week.

This is kinda what Sigi used to do, stick with the steady veterans over young and maybe lose some dependability.

But Fisher played a lot last year, so still confused as to why Schmetzer's going with Svennson over Fisher?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
35K out for the MN United opener... 4 inches of snow fell, starting literally at kick off.

they've lost now 5-1 and 6-1. I've got nothing. They're bad.

Saw the Sounders recovery. Despite needing 2 goals late I thought they actually deserved the 1 point based on their overall performance. They were rather unlucky not to score prior to that.

That said... they need help defending.. and I'm not just talking about the back line. There is a mentality issue there

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ecrl3qw said:
That said... they need help defending.. and I'm not just talking about the back line. There is a mentality issue there

I agree, and that's the Dempsey effect. When playing a recessed center mid position it puts too much strain on Ozzie and Roldan (and even Lodeiro) to have to work so hard at both ends of the pitch cause Clint doesn't track back as far as he should to help..........that's why there's always so much space for the other team in our side of the midfield.

You need all 4 of your mids to help defend, not just two.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1v76f1u5 said:
Uncle Si":1v76f1u5 said:

I agree, and that's the Dempsey effect. When playing a recessed center mid position it puts too much strain on Ozzie and Roldan (and even Lodeiro) to have to work so hard at both ends of the pitch cause Clint doesn't track back as far as he should to help..........that's why there's always so much space for the other team in our side of the midfield.

You need all 4 of your mids to help defend, not just two.

Or just hold the ball better and then press defend when you lose it.

I'm not a fan of the tactics i'm seeing. The only team that I think defends well with a true CDM is Chelsea (Kante and Matic). But they build so methodically that when they do lose the ball its typically on their attacking 3rd and they use the 3 forwards and the wing back on that side to press it back.

Its fun to watch. Liverpool press defend similarly to remove pressure off the 6/8 player to defend. They struggle with long balls that skip the press as their back line is poor.

I saw a few times in the Montreal game and then the 2nd goal from Houston where once the ball was lost (at half field by the way) there was no effort to press the ball immediately. This allowed the opponent to start their transition and force the attacking players to race back. Mentality there needs to change. Dempsey doesn't need to track back, but he could certainly delay the transition a little better... or just be better balanced when you bring bodies forward to attack

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":774rzn3u said:
I saw a few times in the Montreal game and then the 2nd goal from Houston where once the ball was lost (at half field by the way) there was no effort to press the ball immediately. This allowed the opponent to start their transition and force the attacking players to race back. Mentality there needs to change. Dempsey doesn't need to track back, but he could certainly delay the transition a little better... or just be better balanced when you bring bodies forward to attack

Definitely need to clean up the careless turnovers that turn into quick counter attack opportunities for the other team.

That is EXACTLY how most clubs are playing us now, pack it in tight to stop Lodeiro from working the ball through the middle and make breaks on the counter from turnovers.

Even more of a reason to start Fisher to have good speed on both sides, I also like Morris out wide more than by himself up top.

knownone

Reaction score
The team needs to make a concerted effort to give Lodeiro the ball more. Morris up top is a work in progress and I still believe we need to play Bruin or another forward up top who can distribute in hold up play.

The Sounders don't appear to have an identity right now...

knownone

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3kmejwum said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3kmejwum said:
Thought that was already a thing? Or was that husky stadium?

It's currently only an NFL thing...
The NFL, UW, and the Sounders all had similar bag policies last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":2gwfnx21 said:
The team needs to make a concerted effort to give Lodeiro the ball more. Morris up top is a work in progress and I still believe we need to play Bruin or another forward up top who can distribute in hold up play.

The Sounders don't appear to have an identity right now...

Maybe Lodeiro's touches are down this year a little because Dempsey is back in the lineup, but last year he averaged double the touches of any other player on the pitch routinely.

touchmap%20vs%20LA.jpg

I've already seen an improvement over the first match with distribution and the pace of play, so give it time. People forget it's never the same look or feel year to year, even with the majority of the same players. Dempsey's back, so IMO that is what's looking a little different from the end of last year as far as shape and distribution of the ball trying to get everyone involved.

But like I said, you can already see an improvement from game 1 to game 3.