Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Smurf

Reaction score
Largent80":2wxmo4si said:
I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

814a746fb432403abf42ebe47f2b10ea_small.png

We can't afford even 1 of Ronaldo's abs.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3q4tbf0e said:
Sgt. Largent":3q4tbf0e said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3q4tbf0e said:
Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.

Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.

You run into a situation like United have with Wayne Rooney then. I don't see any way that Dempsey comes back and has the kind of year that would earn him a bigger contract for two more years.

If the Sounders were to re-sign him, it would have to be for less money than he is making. He is certainly going to help the team, but I think it would be a smart play by the Sounders to focus more on his replacement than invest in his future.

re: Honda: would be a good MLS player. Technical winger, not pacey, would play well inside with Lodeiro and Dempsey.

4231 seems to be the formation we will play. Honda fits nicely into that. Might look more like a 4-4-1-1 like Dempsey use to run with Fulham back in the day.

knownone

Reaction score
Any updates on the Honda rumors? I'm seeing conflicting reports that Honda has been sold and will be a Sounder by the start of the MLS season and other reports showing AC Milan's CEO confirming they are not selling Honda. I don't know what's true anymore!

I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Sounders sign Honda - This feels more like a public relations signing than a signing based solely on performance and overall benefit to the club. Honda is, after all, a bit of a cult hero and with that comes an insane following and a brand globalizing effect that reaches into the dedicated and widely untapped Japanese market in MLS. All of that is good long term for the Sounders and the league...

But is it good for the Sounders on the field? I really don't know if Honda at this stage is better than the multitude of other guys the Sounders have been rumored to be following. On top of that, the fit doesn't seem natural, he's not a goal scorer, he doesn't offer much in pace, and he's not much of a defender. He is at best a complimentary piece that fits squarely in between a Dempsey type player and a Lodeiro type. I don't mean that to demean Honda who very well may be a better player than both Dempsey and Lodeiro, I just don't see how adding Honda is the best option for the club on the field.

I'm open to being wrong on this, so if anyone has any insight that could sway me one way or the other, please lay it on me.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Anything i've read says summer if at all. Seems like a high risk move. I just hope it doesn't affect Lodeiro, not sure how I'd feel if he got punted wide.

If it's anything like Nakamura at Celtic, this could be a huge money spinner for the Sounders. They got Japanese fans turning up at random games in Scotland just to see him play and there added tv deals to that market along with increased jersey sales.

I'm not sure if he is as popular as Nakamura was but if he is this could be beneficial to both the Sounders and MLS.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":xkr5467l said:
Largent80":xkr5467l said:
I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

814a746fb432403abf42ebe47f2b10ea_small.png

We can't afford even 1 of Ronaldo's abs.

If he ever went to MLS it would be to NY or LA. Probably NY where the sheiks could pay his ridiculous salary and probably not till he is old.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3o8xbbxq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GeoffBakerTIMES/status/836441897044430848[/tweet]

Brittle Brad be Brittle Braddin'

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Oh Brad :( carrying on last years injuries. Either his body is breaking down or he isnt training right.

We are extremely light at rb, guessing fisher plays this week?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I know Zach Scott's testimonial is on wednesday and he'll make money from it but did the Sounders offer him a gig as a coach or ambassador similar to Levesque?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":21l8ink3 said:
I know Zach Scott's testimonial is on wednesday and he'll make money from it but did the Sounders offer him a gig as a coach or ambassador similar to Levesque?

I haven't read anything on this, but the Sounders would be stupid to not do something similar.

Scott IMO is a very similar story as Schmetzer, hard assed hard working player that everyone respected. He'd make a great coach to incorporate into the organizational side........obviously if that's what he'd like to do.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nhdq471 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2nhdq471 said:

I haven't read anything on this, but the Sounders would be stupid to not do something similar.

Scott IMO is a very similar story as Schmetzer, hard assed hard working player that everyone respected. He'd make a great coach to incorporate into the organizational side........obviously if that's what he'd like to do.

He is now a member of the Broadcast team. He'll be doing pre, half, and post-game stuff occasionally.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Little disappointed that MN United only started one of the 4 carry overs from the NASL team. Hope Ibarra and Ramirez come on 2nd half.

Scrappy affair. Portland creating better chances. United stringing together neater play but nothing in the attacking 3rd.

So Ramirez comes in and gets franchises first goal... fitting. Team then concedes 3 goals in 15 minutes.. also fitting

hawkfan68

Reaction score
First game out of the way...hopefully the Sounders will show up for a full 90 rather than just 45 minutes in the next game. Pathetic first half but looked much better in the 2nd half. I think Alonso wanted to be a part of the Dynamo in the first half the way he was passing the ball to them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1wkrs8sp said:
Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.

Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Thought frei, ozzy, morris and dempsey looked very rusty. Did they play much preseason? I know dempsey scored but felt he didnt do much else which is to be expected.

The guy playing rb looked like he got exposed at points, probably as he isnt a rb.

Better 2nd half, hopefully we improve with games and fitness.

Joevin jones looked good second half

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kinda what I expected after the lackluster preseason matches, a rusty club that wasn't quite ready to start the season.

But the 2nd half was encouraging, and more of what I expect going forward now. Much more energy and urgency.

I actually liked our formation when Flaco came out, Bruin came in and Morris was pushed out wide. Not a fan of Flaco anymore, he doesn't bring a whole lot to the club when on the pitch. Makes Lodeiro's job much harder, and makes us easier to defend because everything was going down the left side.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3083xcwi said:
SeatownJay":3083xcwi said:
Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.

Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)

Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.