Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

pcbball12

Reaction score
FOGHORN":39imuvme said:
Win,lose, or draw I will come back. I actually like most of the posters in here. I think it will be a very good game.

The Seahawks have many variables working in their favor before we even start hashing out players on rosters. I personally can't wait for Sunday.

As for those that think this team is the same as the 2012 team you will be surprised. Many players have changed as well as schemes on both sides of the ball. This game will be a measuring stick for the Falcons, much more than the Seahawks.

The core players on Seahawks are battle tested. Atlanta has many rookies and 1st year starters trying to make their way and name in the NFL. They are young, hungry, and finding confidence.

I can guarantee you the Seahawks players and coaches arent taking this team as lightly as some posters are. Would I be surprised with a Seahawks win? Absolutely not. 2nd road game out West for a young team, 3rd tough game in a row, and lots of inexperience. I would however be much more surprised with a blowout. This version of the Falcons have alot more heart and a closer bond. They fight harder for each other.

And come Sunday, they will need to fight. They will strap on the gloves and go toe to toe with a heavyweight. In my opinion, THE Heavyweight of the NFC.

Only Sunday will reveal what the Falcons have in their team . As for the Seahawks, business as usual. Good luck fellas. Can't wait for Sunday. And should the Falcons lose I will come back and take my licks and discuss the games unfoldings.

Peace to the PNW!
See, now this is a post I can respect. You should be excited about your team, I wouldn't expect any less. Just can't stand the posts acting like new fans with zero respect for the Hawks....acting like our defense and team being good is some sort of new abberation due to weak opponents. I actually thouroughly enjoy watching the falcons and like them because I believe Quinn was the best DC we have had here. Good luck, here's to an injury free hard fought battle.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
pcbball12":zugcmqb8 said:
FOGHORN":zugcmqb8 said:
Win,lose, or draw I will come back. I actually like most of the posters in here. I think it will be a very good game.

The Seahawks have many variables working in their favor before we even start hashing out players on rosters. I personally can't wait for Sunday.

As for those that think this team is the same as the 2012 team you will be surprised. Many players have changed as well as schemes on both sides of the ball. This game will be a measuring stick for the Falcons, much more than the Seahawks.

The core players on Seahawks are battle tested. Atlanta has many rookies and 1st year starters trying to make their way and name in the NFL. They are young, hungry, and finding confidence.

I can guarantee you the Seahawks players and coaches arent taking this team as lightly as some posters are. Would I be surprised with a Seahawks win? Absolutely not. 2nd road game out West for a young team, 3rd tough game in a row, and lots of inexperience. I would however be much more surprised with a blowout. This version of the Falcons have alot more heart and a closer bond. They fight harder for each other.

And come Sunday, they will need to fight. They will strap on the gloves and go toe to toe with a heavyweight. In my opinion, THE Heavyweight of the NFC.

Only Sunday will reveal what the Falcons have in their team . As for the Seahawks, business as usual. Good luck fellas. Can't wait for Sunday. And should the Falcons lose I will come back and take my licks and discuss the games unfoldings.

Peace to the PNW!
See, now this is a post I can respect. You should be excited about your team, I wouldn't expect any less. Just can't stand the posts acting like new fans with zero respect for the Hawks....acting like our defense and team being good is some sort of new abberation due to weak opponents. I actually thouroughly enjoy watching the falcons and like them because I believe Quinn was the best DC we have had here. Good luck, here's to an injury free hard fought battle.

I was just going to say the same thing.

Nice post, Fog!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Us posters can take this game lightly because we pay them lots of money not to.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1y5gktgt said:
Us posters can take this game lightly because we pay them lots of money not to.

Correct. But that wasn't my point. One on every board.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical brought up how many of ATL's players would start on the Seahawks, and well... I might as well add my 2 pennies.

QB Russell Wilson (Offensive Team Captain)
RB Devonta Freeman -ATL
X Julio Jones -ATL
Y Jimmy Graham
Z Tyler Lockett
Slot Doug Baldwin

T Jake Matthews -ATL
G Mark Glowinski
C Alex Mack -ATL
G Germaine Ifedi
T Ryan Schraeder -ATL

NIckel is the New Base

W9 Cliff Avril
3T Michael Bennett
3T Frank Clark
W9 Cassius Marsh

MB Bobby Wagner
WB K.J. Wright
SS Kam Chancellor (Defensive Team Captain)

LC Richard Sherman
RC Desmond Trufant -ATL
NB Jeremy Lane
FS Earl Thomas

6 of 22 players would start on the Seahawks w/only 1 on the Defense.

Honorable Mentions / Rotational Players

Jarran Reed as the starting NT
Ahtyba Rubin as DT depth
DeShawn Shead as DB depth (Special Teams Captain)
Deion Jones as LB depth -ATL
Dwight Freeney as DPR depth -ATL
Justin Britt as the 6th OL
Jacob Tamme as the 2nd TE -ATL
Tevin Coleman as the 3rd down back -ATL
Patrick DiMarco as the FB -ATL (If the Seahawks carried one.)

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Fade":17u1aa6m said:
Tical brought up how many of ATL's players would start on the Seahawks, and well... I might as well add my 2 pennies.

RB Devonta Freeman -ATL
X Julio Jones -ATL
Y Jimmy Graham
Z Tyler Lockett
Slot Doug Baldwin

T Jake Matthews -ATL
G Mark Glowinski
C Alex Mack -ATL
G Germaine Ifedi
T Ryan Schraeder -ATL

NIckel is the New Base

W9 Cliff Avril
3T Michael Bennett
3T Frank Clark
W9 Cassius Marsh

MB Bobby Wagner
WB K.J. Wright

LC Richard Sherman
RC Desmond Trufant -ATL
NB Jeremy Lane
FS Earl Thomas

Ahtyba Rubin as DT depth

Not sure I would rather have Marsh over Beasley, Freeny, or Clayborn. But I guess I understand the homertastic exuberance.

The rest I can agree with.

Mick063

Reaction score
FOGHORN":1hpbl1m9 said:
Fade":1hpbl1m9 said:

RB Devonta Freeman -ATL
X Julio Jones -ATL
Y Jimmy Graham
Z Tyler Lockett
Slot Doug Baldwin

T Jake Matthews -ATL
G Mark Glowinski
C Alex Mack -ATL
G Germaine Ifedi
T Ryan Schraeder -ATL

NIckel is the New Base

W9 Cliff Avril
3T Michael Bennett
3T Frank Clark
W9 Cassius Marsh

MB Bobby Wagner
WB K.J. Wright

LC Richard Sherman
RC Desmond Trufant -ATL
NB Jeremy Lane
FS Earl Thomas

Ahtyba Rubin as DT depth

Not sure I would rather have Marsh over Beasley, Freeny, or Clayborn. But I guess I understand the homertastic exuberance.

The rest I can agree with.

Marsh has been quite good in all facets. Perhaps the biggest "motor" on the team. Plays very well on special teams, is relentless as a pass rusher, runs down backs in pursuit, and is an excellent open field tackler. He has the foot speed to noticeably contribute on a defense filled with foot speed. In other words, he doesn't look slow when the screen includes the likes of Bobby Wagner and Earl Thomas. The Seahawks will think long and hard about keeping him around when his rookie deal expires. When considering his value as measured against the salary cap, he is extremely valuable. It is the Marshes of the world that provide the great cap friendly depth needed for championship contention.

I imagine he will inevitably become too expensive for the Seahawks and will ironically end up on a team like the Falcons. Whoever gets him will be pleasantly surprised. He will be a starter and play well at his new home.

Fade

Reaction score
@ FOG

Freeney vs Marsh was my biggest debate. I chose Marsh because he is faster, plays with his hair on fire, he has gotten pressure just that a couple of his sacks have been negated by penalties. He can also play SLB in a pinch, while ultimately Freeney is a guy at this juncture of his career is a super sub.

@ Mick -Yup.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
treefidy":b3akx5r1 said:
Grahamhawker":b3akx5r1 said:
Yes, Denver offense sucks; that's why they're ranked #26 right now. Does this make the #24 ranked Falcon's defense somehow better? I seriously don't get it.

Your offense is ranked below Denver in every category. Do you really want to get into this?

There have been far too many meaningless stats from ESPN thrown about in this entertaining thread when there is only one that has any true bearing on a most likely outcome of Sunday's game...

This weeks ESPN power rankings. Seahawks #5 and the Falcons #6. This fact by itself should end any debate as to the better team.

Or

Can Dan Quinn snatch the pebble from Pete Carroll's hand?

Alright, done with some fun, for now.

Straight up? I would call this game a toss up and in fact won't be surprised at all if Atlanta beats us but it won't be because they are a superior team, although their offense is clicking on all cylinders and they're rolling, but what concerns me most about the Hawks is we ARE coming off a bye week and the weather is suppose to be crappy ( It is funny how some fans think it won't rain or blow on us) and it's like we're starting the season over again. and we all know how well we play in opening games. It starts with a few wet farts and the next thing you know, we shat the bed.

I won't at all be concerned though if we do lose because as we know Pete has that weird philosophy about not winning games in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarters and the players have not only bought into that, they live it and as the season goes we're playing game 5 Sunday, or the start of the 2nd quarter.

We all saw what this team did in the second half of the season last year and if not for a wet fartin', bed shattin' of a first half against Carolina, who knows? What we can say now is that we have a team that has played together for the better part of 5 and 6 years who are in their primes and know how to win when it matters most. Something the Falcons might say to themselves but couldn't back it up with experience.

That might just be the NFCCG in Atlanta in January. With all things being equal and both teams are healthy, seriously, who in their right mind would bet against us?

FOGHORN

Reaction score
I cannot wait for tomorrow. Win, lose, or draw I am ready to see where the Falcons are at. I'm also ready to see Cassius Marsh in action against Schrader. Havent seen much of this guy other than clips.

I already know what Earl T can do. He went to West Orange Stark high school and I got to see him alot. Wish he didnt have to leave UT early. But worked out for the Seahawks. Love me some Earl Thomas. Bennett too. I root for all Texas players. Damn, almost forgot about Christine Michael who went to school with my sister.

Heres to an injury free game fellas. Good luck and I will check in tomorrow.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":268v5f8m said:
pcbball12":268v5f8m said:
Julio, Freeman and Trufant. I considered Mack, but Britt is younger, far cheaper, and on the come. If there was a competition for a spot between the two, the Hawks would go forward with Britt. I probably should include Schrader though, he's pretty good.
I'm pretty sure we'd take Jake Matthews at LT.
I dunno that I'm ready to go there yet. I know he's improved, but I still have visions of him getting Matty killed through most of 2014.

He's got to be better than Sowell though, right ?

Sowell has actually been better than advertised in run blocking, but boy he's sure bad at pass pro. Not fast enough to mirror speed rushers and gets beat inside too easily because he leans and anticipates the speed rush outside.

I'd totally agree on the Mack/Britt debate. I mean, right NOW I'd take Mack on past performance. But Britt is actually larger and more athletic and he's been playing really well. Couple that with the fact that he's only played Center for 4 games and he hasn't hit his ceiling...then top it off with the salary differential and age difference and it's Britt hands down.

Glowinski has been playing decent, but I don't know enough about Atlanta's LG to say whether Glow is better. I'd take Ifedi over their RG even though he's pretty good. I also don't know enough about their RT to take him over a solidly average Gilliam.

Outside of Trufant, I'm not sure I'd take any of their starters on our defense. Half their starters might not beat out our 2nd string to be honest.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Fade":21jvy0vj said:
@ FOG

Freeney vs Marsh was my biggest debate. I chose Marsh because he is faster, plays with his hair on fire, he has gotten pressure just that a couple of his sacks have been negated by penalties. He can also play SLB in a pinch, while ultimately Freeney is a guy at this juncture of his career is a super sub.

@ Mick -Yup.

The other thing about Marsh vs. Freeney would be age.

It's also why I would go with Britt over Mack. Is Mack better ? Yup, right now he is. Britt hasn't reached his celing, and is more athletic. The other factor is salary. Is Mack 5 times better than Britt ? Probably not, but that's the salary differential. Then you go with age, and there you are. And this is from someone that wanted us to trade for Mack.

The one thing Atlanta really has going for them is that we seem to be sluggish coming out of the bye. That might be offset by Wilson and Lockett both healing up over the bye week.

If you haven't watched a lot of Seahawk football, you'd know our OL annually stinks, we play better in the 2nd half of the season, etc. Well, it's because our OL is almost always been remade in the offseason and starts to gel in the 2nd half. Right now, we have the best OL we've had to start a season, and they'll only get better. Yea, we're a bit average in the run game (in today's NFL it's really hard to say 93 ypg is bad) but you can bet Cable has been working with them all bye week on it. That and we have Ifedi back.

The other intangible that I could be wrong on (going off of history) is that this game is going to be a wet sloppy game. I don't think Atlanta has the physicality to slug it out in a phone booth with us and win ugly. Yea our offense has been lacking so far, but it's shown progression. On top of that, no one can discount the physicality of the Seattle team. We're annually one of the most physical and athletic teams in the league.

ball4life34

Reaction score
Hawks46":i4ov2gwr said:
Tical21":i4ov2gwr said:
pcbball12":i4ov2gwr said:
Julio, Freeman and Trufant. I considered Mack, but Britt is younger, far cheaper, and on the come. If there was a competition for a spot between the two, the Hawks would go forward with Britt. I probably should include Schrader though, he's pretty good.
I'm pretty sure we'd take Jake Matthews at LT.
I dunno that I'm ready to go there yet. I know he's improved, but I still have visions of him getting Matty killed through most of 2014.

He's got to be better than Sowell though, right ?

Sowell has actually been better than advertised in run blocking, but boy he's sure bad at pass pro. Not fast enough to mirror speed rushers and gets beat inside too easily because he leans and anticipates the speed rush outside.

I'd totally agree on the Mack/Britt debate. I mean, right NOW I'd take Mack on past performance. But Britt is actually larger and more athletic and he's been playing really well. Couple that with the fact that he's only played Center for 4 games and he hasn't hit his ceiling...then top it off with the salary differential and age difference and it's Britt hands down.

Glowinski has been playing decent, but I don't know enough about Atlanta's LG to say whether Glow is better. I'd take Ifedi over their RG even though he's pretty good. I also don't know enough about their RT to take him over a solidly average Gilliam.

Outside of Trufant, I'm not sure I'd take any of their starters on our defense. Half their starters might not beat out our 2nd string to be honest.

Matthews played hurt his whole rookie year...only gave up 1 sack last year and had a positive grade in the run game. He's looking like a franchise Left tackle. Our whole OL has been great this year outside of our RG (Chris Chester).

Falcons defense is so young. We start

Grady Jarrett DT (2nd year) Beast
Vic Beasley DE/LB (2nd year) 6th in the NFL in sacks
Deion Jones MLB (rookie) Defensive rookie of the month. 2nd round pick
De'Vondre Campbell WLB (rookie) 4th rounder. MVP of the defense in training camp. Starting today.. been out since week 1
Desmond Trufant CB (4th year) Pro bowler
Robert Alford CB (4th year) Top 20 corner
Brian Poole CB (rookie) Has been the top rookie corner in the league according to PFF. UDFA
Keanu Neal SS (rookie) Highest rated guy on the defense so far this year. 1st round pick
Ricardo Allen FS (2nd year) Meh on him..had a pick last week but might need an upgrade next year

Our defense is certainly not on Seattle's level but I think it can be top 10 in a year or 2. Probably see us drafting a DE in the 1st this year.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3aer797c said:
Clark and Kam both out. Ouch.

As a Falcon fan I am actually bummed about this. Wanted Seahawks at full strength.

But I can also relate. The Falcons had their top 4 Linebackers out last week and played 4 games so far without Keanu Neal.

Injuries have plagued the NFL this year for sure. Hope everyone else stays healthy.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
treefidy":xls4w3aa said:
Sarlacc83":xls4w3aa said:
A ) You seem to have confused me with a Broncos fan. Their opinion doesn't matter.

B) The Broncos D can't be as good as last year because your finesse team scored more than 20 points against them.

A.) I do not. But I assure you the Bronco's fans know their defense.

B.) You don't really believe that do you? The Steelers offense put up 550 yards and 30 points on your World Class D last year.

Bye Felicia

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Good game Hawks. I think it was a lot closer than most expected. Especially with the refs in the Seahawks corner.

All in all, good game. The game was more than likely lost on that Julio drop for an int.