Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

Hawks46

Reaction score
Any game is really a conglomerate of individual matchups, so I wanted to go over group vs. group matchups, or individual matchups if anyone wants to get into that. Any Falcons' fans that have input is always welcome.

Seattle OL vs. Atlanta DL: I think we own this match up. Our pass protection has been surprisingly good this year, and we kept a hobbled Wilson mostly clean against a top 3 DL in the Jets, with crowd noise. I don't see Atlanta's being better, or really giving any individual problems. We'll handle their edge rushers...Gilliam is better against quick small guys like Beasley; he has problems against larger power rushers. I'd like to think we can establish the run game, but I haven't seen evidence of dominance there on our part this year, even if Atlanta is bottom third of the league in this category as well. Advantage: Hawks.

Seattle DL vs. Atlanta OL: I don't see them running on us. I know they have good backs, and a decent OL, but I don't see them making their hay on the ground in this game. In looking at some stats, their RB's (especially Colemon) have been doing damage out of the backfield with receptions. I don't see us getting a ton of elite pressure on Ryan. We've struggled with it in the past, and he's good at getting the ball out quickly. He's not holding it and forcing it downfield. I see this as a draw here.

Atlanta RBs vs. Seattle LBers: This one is important, as it really is how they gashed Denver's defense. They literally took a few pages from NE's playbook as this was a very similar game plan to the one the Pats used in the AFCCG. Whoever is studying that can also look at our Super Bowl vs. the Patriots, and the Jets game last week. We've been giving up too much stuff underneath to RBs. That said, our LBers are very good in coverage and get to the ball very quickly, limiting YAC. I think our LBers match up well, but it's going to depend on the scheme. If Richard has them sagging back in a soft zone, they're going to make us pay for it. Advantage: Falcons (due to Richards propensity to go soft zone this year at bad times).

LOB vs. Atlanta WR corps: This one I don't know enough about. I like Shead and Lane vs. their #2 and #3 WRs (wasn't one of their top 3 guys hurt ?). I know Sherman has done well enough against Jones that he can follow him and limit his damage. it's going to be like Marshall.....he'll get his but Sherman limits the production and gets a INT or so. Atlanta chose not to challenge Denver's CB's and I think they might do the same with us. Add that to the weather and I'll give the advantage to the Hawks until I know more.

Seattle WRs vs. Atlanta DB's. This one is pretty simple. They don't have anyone that can cover Graham. I think if Trufant can lock down Baldwin (unlikely) we still have Lockett and Richardson, so we win in 3 wide easily. This depends on the weather, as Wilson hasn't had great games in the rain here lately. Advantage: Hawks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff. I agree, we win in most matchups across the board. Of course anything can happen...Freak plays or turnovers that can turn the game on its heels but for the most part I feel the Seahawks will keep the Falcons from exploding.

They will get their points but their stats will take a hit a bit after this game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Atlanta was averaging a putrid one sack per game until Sunday when they recorded six against the Broncos. Atlanta's pass rush comes predominantly from one guy: Vic Beasley. Unfortunately he's the type of player (speed rusher) that Sowell struggles with. Need to neutralize Beasley because the Falcons can't mount a rush from many other places as the only threat after him is the ancient Dwight Freeney.

fuego

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2rm2as98 said:
Atlanta was averaging a putrid one sack per game until Sunday when they recorded six against the Broncos. Atlanta's pass rush comes predominantly from one guy: Vic Beasley. Unfortunately he's the type of player (speed rusher) that Sowell struggles with. Need to neutralize Beasley because the Falcons can't mount a rush from many other places as the only threat after him is the ancient Dwight Freeney.

Up until the Denver game, Beasley was being considered a bust by many. Then he had that 'breakout' game against a backup I believe for Denver. It will be interesting to see if the light finally went off or just a better matchup for him.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
That matchup might be the one that decides it all
It will be the one I'm most concerned with besides our offense vs their d

RussB

Reaction score
Im a little worried about freeman, he can catch out of the backfield and hawks have shown they give up plays to the runningbacks that can catch sometimes. Freeman can bust a huge play if they dont shut that type of stuff down early.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
How about Spiller? He was pretty effective out if the backfield in receptions. I'm interested to see how well he does from here on out.

treefidy

Reaction score
Our OL dominates your DL. Did you watch film of the Denver game? That was not a fluke. This OL was good last year minus the center and that improved leaps and bounds with Alex Mack (pro bowl center)

DL is definitely more than Beasley. Sunday was his first monster game of his career. Freeney and Clayborne are the more experienced rushers. Freeney will get there on third and passing downs. Clayborne, you never know. Still, the pass rush isn't anything amazing. Not sure how good your line actually is, but from reading these forums over the years, it's seemed to be a weakness. Will be a fun matchup, I can't call this one either way.

As far as nobody being able to cover Graham. Ishmael has had to cover Graham before. We moved him from Safety to LB last week and I assume he'll be there again. With Neal (very Chancellor like) at safety, we've done well in back to back weeks vs the TE (Olsen is no slouch). Alford will be the guy you want to attack. Not because he isn't good, but he's a bone head ala Browner. He commits stupid penalties on plays he actually makes without committing them. Whoever Trufant is on will have very limited catches. That's a promise. He is WAY underestimated. Especially on this board.

Your defense is great. No doubt. Denver's is better all around. Our offense is no fluke and I can promise you, there will be more than a few match ups exploited. We have 8 receivers with over 100 yards receiving, 6 with over 150, 3 with 200 or more and 2 with 300 or more. We also have two running backs with 150 or more yards rushing and one with over 400 yards. There are way too many options for Ryan and as long as he keeps it mistake free, this Offense is scoring a lot.

This should be an awesome game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
treefidy":4d0keri7 said:
Our OL dominates your DL. Did you watch film of the Denver game? That was not a fluke. This OL was good last year minus the center and that improved leaps and bounds with Alex Mack (pro bowl center)

DL is definitely more than Beasley. Sunday was his first monster game of his career. Freeney and Clayborne are the more experienced rushers. Freeney will get there on third and passing downs. Clayborne, you never know. Still, the pass rush isn't anything amazing. Not sure how good your line actually is, but from reading these forums over the years, it's seemed to be a weakness. Will be a fun matchup, I can't call this one either way.

As far as nobody being able to cover Graham. Ishmael has had to cover Graham before. We moved him from Safety to LB last week and I assume he'll be there again. With Neal (very Chancellor like) at safety, we've done well in back to back weeks vs the TE (Olsen is no slouch). Alford will be the guy you want to attack. Not because he isn't good, but he's a bone head ala Browner. He commits stupid penalties on plays he actually makes without committing them. Whoever Trufant is on will have very limited catches. That's a promise. He is WAY underestimated. Especially on this board.

Your defense is great. No doubt. Denver's is better all around. Our offense is no fluke and I can promise you, there will be more than a few match ups exploited. We have 8 receivers with over 100 yards receiving, 6 with over 150, 3 with 200 or more and 2 with 300 or more. We also have two running backs with 150 or more yards rushing and one with over 400 yards. There are way too many options for Ryan and as long as he keeps it mistake free, this Offense is scoring a lot.

Didn't we read this post before the Super Bowl against Denver?

2_0_6

Reaction score
I remember hearing similar chatter from the ATL fanbase last year. Well, ya we all know how that went.

My matchups to watch.... Jimmy and ADB against the less than lockdown secondary.

The Atlanta Falcons are allowing 290 yards passing a game and have allowed a league-worst 14 passing touchdowns through five weeks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Bobblehead":5i4b8b4c said:

Congratulations, you are the first post I read today that literally made me LOL.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Aros":1lsbxihl said:
Bobblehead":1lsbxihl said:

Congratulations, you are the first post I read today that literally made me LOL.

It was my only job for the day :)
Thank You.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
fuego":wmzwwno7 said:
CodeWarrior":wmzwwno7 said:

Up until the Denver game, Beasley was being considered a bust by many. Then he had that 'breakout' game against a backup I believe for Denver. It will be interesting to see if the light finally went off or just a better matchup for him.

Yea, he absolutely abused the backup RT for Denver. I haven't paid enough attention, but in the Denver game, they had Beasley rushing from the right side. Gilliam is better against speed rushers vs. power rushers. If Atlanta was smart, they'd switch sides and let Beasley go against Sowell and Clayborn go against Gilliam.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
treefidy":1yd6d170 said:

I don't know about "dominate" our DL. Your rush attack is good this year at 124/game, our rush defense is great this year at 80/game. Like I said, something has to give. I gave you the edge for pass pro, but our DL gets an advantage in get off with the crowd noise. This is one of the hinging points of the game, whether we can get to Ryan. We also historically feast on pass heavy teams.

I forgot about Clayborn, he's good, but even then you guys were averaging 1 sack/game. Clayborne rushes off the left side and speed guys are the ones that give Sowell (LT) headaches, while our RT is really good against speed guys like Beasley. I know our board has melted down about our OL, but they're actually top third in the NFL this year in pass protection so far. They're a young OL coming off of a bye and we'll have our 1st rounder on the line for the 2nd game.

Our defense is better than Denver's in every meaningful category other than 4th down percentage.

Atlanta's defense is the big mismatch here. You're 26th in total defense, while we're 1st. You're tied for 31st in points allowed, we're 1st. We're middle of the pack offensively, going against a bottom tier defense, while both your offense and our defense are the statistical best.

But we were talking individual matchups.

byau

Reaction score
Just watched the game. I thought it'd be a good study because if there's a comp for the Seahawks defense I'm guessing it would be the Denver Broncos D with a few differences.

These are the few things I noted while watching

Hawks46":18d741s8 said:
Any game is really a conglomerate of individual matchups, so I wanted to go over group vs. group matchups, or individual matchups if anyone wants to get into that. Any Falcons' fans that have input is always welcome.

Seattle OL vs. Atlanta DL: I think we own this match up. Our pass protection has been surprisingly good this year, and we kept a hobbled Wilson mostly clean against a top 3 DL in the Jets, with crowd noise. I don't see Atlanta's being better, or really giving any individual problems. We'll handle their edge rushers...Gilliam is better against quick small guys like Beasley; he has problems against larger power rushers. I'd like to think we can establish the run game, but I haven't seen evidence of dominance there on our part this year, even if Atlanta is bottom third of the league in this category as well. Advantage: Hawks.

I'll call this more Seattle offense vs Atlanta defense.

The Atlanta DL got to Paxton Lynch often and fast. I don't think that will happen with the Seahawks, however the Seahawks really need to be on their game and not take it for granted. That said, the reason I don't see it happening is it looked like the Atlanta D was playing similar to the Rams vs Seahawks in week 2.
* They knew they could take chances because the QB was limited.
* In this case, watching Paxton working the pocket showed he has a long way to go.
* His decision making was poor, his throwing was not accurate, he really was not good under pressure.
* He felt most comfortable with short throws in the middle of the field.
* Also some of the offense play design looked terrible circa the Seahawks bubble screens without blocking from two years ago.

I would say the Atlanta DL did a great job stopping the run. But again I think it was because they likely didn't bother covering downfield that much instead focusing on short throws or the run.

With the Seahawks, if Christine Michael can use his burst to hit the hole I think he will have some better success then CJ Anderson who was a bit more lateral. Denver's second running back Booker who seemed more the power runner dowhill seemed to do a bit better so if Michael can do that I think that will help open things up. I still have visions of him running over Miami Dolphins players (could have been 49ers) and MIchael popping up right away leaving one, two, or three Dolphins players slow to get up.

So if we see that, combined with Russell's vision and accuracy, I think the Seattle offense will do well against the Atlanta defense. Not a given, they need to be on their game, but if both sides play to their best the Seahawks O will take it.

Seattle DL vs. Atlanta OL: I don't see them running on us. I know they have good backs, and a decent OL, but I don't see them making their hay on the ground in this game. In looking at some stats, their RB's (especially Colemon) have been doing damage out of the backfield with receptions. I don't see us getting a ton of elite pressure on Ryan. We've struggled with it in the past, and he's good at getting the ball out quickly. He's not holding it and forcing it downfield. I see this as a draw here.

I was not super impressed with Atlanta's OL. Then again the Broncos have a great DL and Atlanta held enough on their own. However, there were a lot of rushes on the QB and I was *really* surprised how panicked Matt Ryan looked in the pocket. I was expecting at least a bit more Carson Palmer: calm, and also more long throws.
* Matt Ryan started the game with a log of short throws (dinking and dunking). \
* Didn't see long throws until early in the 2nd quarter
* Those first long throws, they were WAY off target, all of them went long.
* It really was a lot of the Atlanta playmakers getting great yards after catch from short throws as well as the Atlanta running game that got the big yardage plays and not long bombs.

Unfortunately, this may play into the Seahawks weakness if they are still letting those dink and dunks go. I do expect it to be a bit different because Atlanta's receivers were getting a lot of good yards after carry, while I expect/hope the Seahawks will be able to hit the Atlanta receivers right on the catch.

Atlanta RBs vs. Seattle LBers: This one is important, as it really is how they gashed Denver's defense. They literally took a few pages from NE's playbook as this was a very similar game plan to the one the Pats used in the AFCCG. Whoever is studying that can also look at our Super Bowl vs. the Patriots, and the Jets game last week. We've been giving up too much stuff underneath to RBs. That said, our LBers are very good in coverage and get to the ball very quickly, limiting YAC. I think our LBers match up well, but it's going to depend on the scheme.

Agreed here. Looking at Freeman, wow that guy is fantastic. He reminds me of Jamaal Charles in the KC game from last year where he tore us up. Then again I think we were without Mebane our main run defender for that Chiefs game.

If the entire D-line is healthy AND they exercise super discipline in their gaps AND they are fast and on top of their game, I think that will limit Freeman and the rest of the run game. But I think the Seahawks main Run D is covering gaps and getting those power runners to not ..well..power run through. I will be curious to see how Freeman does. I think he has a pretty good game, wouldn't be surprised if it goes over 100 yards.

LOB vs. Atlanta WR corps: This one I don't know enough about. I like Shead and Lane vs. their #2 and #3 WRs (wasn't one of their top 3 guys hurt ?). I know Sherman has done well enough against Jones that he can follow him and limit his damage. it's going to be like Marshall.....he'll get his but Sherman limits the production and gets a INT or so. Atlanta chose not to challenge Denver's CB's and I think they might do the same with us. Add that to the weather and I'll give the advantage to the Hawks until I know more.

Jones seemed to have a really quiet game. And again it looked ilke Matt Ryan REALLY did not do well under pressure. So a better pass rush plus better dbacks and Matt Ryan and the Falcons go shorter passing game which worked really well.

I would be surprised if Matt Ryan beats the LOB on long passes. I definitely see them doing the dink and dunk. They really did well vs. the Broncos so the LOB and the linebackers and safetys really need to be on their game to hit the guys before they get a chance to make big plays.

Seattle WRs vs. Atlanta DB's. This one is pretty simple. They don't have anyone that can cover Graham. I think if Trufant can lock down Baldwin (unlikely) we still have Lockett and Richardson, so we win in 3 wide easily. This depends on the weather, as Wilson hasn't had great games in the rain here lately. Advantage: Hawks.
[/quote]

Couldn't tell much about the Atlanta DBs since Paxton was so terrible and the rush got to him so quickly. However the few times it looked like he threw down field, if he had been accurate, there were some small openings. The rest of the time it was hard to tell, I didn't see many openings, but I think this is a factor of Paxton Lynch. I think there *were* openings but by the time Paxton saw them and tried to pass they already closed up.

Overall, keys to the game for me after watching Atlanta vs Denver:

So with Russell and our receiving corps and the chemistry, I think the Seattle WR will be able to do much better. I don't think it's a Jimmy Graham thing, I think if anything it is a Russell Wilson thing and chemistry with the entire receiving corps. . I think there will be some good openings in the midfield, I think we will be good for maybe a few plays downfield (Prich and lockett), but if anything it will be up to Russell and the receivers to be in sync so that Russell and the receivers together will spot the openings and the ball will be headed there as the receivers head there.

Overall, I think Atlanta is a great team, I think they are 9 wins, possibly 10 or 11 if the ball bounces their way. They seemed very consistent all game with how they played, and if I extrapolate that, I see them being the type of very consistent team all season that can beat the 9 win and under teams but will have problems with the 10 win and over teams. They will win them with some lucky bounces or if the opposing 10-win team is not at full health (e.g. playing the inexperienced and not-good rookie qb). I have a feeling the Seahawks will be close to full health out of this bye. I see the Seahawks doing well, but I don't think they'll own Atlanta by any means.

NINEster

Reaction score
OP, good review.

If I'll make one change, it's that the Falcons breathe a sigh of relief that Zach Miller is no longer on the team.

They'll take their chances with Jimmy Graham because they know him very well.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm sorry tree fondler but you are the most uneducated fan I've seen around here in a while if you think the falcons OL will dominate the Hawks DL, especially in Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NINEster":1stafydx said:
OP, good review.

If I'll make one change, it's that the Falcons breathe a sigh of relief that Zach Miller is no longer on the team.

They'll take their chances with Jimmy Graham because they know him very well.

Jimmy Graham career stats against Atlanta:

2010: 4 for 26 yards and a TD
2011: 7 for 82 yards and 1 TD; 4 for 42 yards and 1 TD
2012: 7 for 146 and 2 TDs; 4 for 59 yards
2013: 4 for 45 and 1 TD; 5 for 100 and a TD
2014: 8 for 82 yards; 6 for 53 and a TD

So, in 9 games vs. ATL he has amassed: 49 receptions, 635 yards and 8 TDs. He's a tight end by the way.

treefidy

Reaction score
Largent80":3j9ulek0 said:
I'm sorry tree fondler but you are the most uneducated fan I've seen around here in a while if you think the falcons OL will dominate the Hawks DL, especially in Seattle.

Funny. I heard this all week from the Denver fans.

Then during the game, heard plenty of "Well damn, maybe their OL is better than we though"

Seattle does not have the pass rush that Denver has. Not even close...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
treefidy":ikw3nuts said:
Largent80":ikw3nuts said:

Funny. I heard this all week from the Denver fans.

Then during the game, heard plenty of "Well damn, maybe their OL is better than we though"

Seattle does not have the pass rush that Denver has. Not even close...

Atlanta won a game with a raw scared qb.. changes the whole dynamics of the team, wonder how the Falcons would have done had Lynch been your qb.

but hey, you guys won, well done, pat your self on the back because had you lost to Lynch, I'd say your season would have been over.