Seattle we have a problem

chris98251

Reaction score
This looks like a good problem, we all of a sudden have a group of DB's that is going to be making a lot of teams radar, Reed, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Adams, Neal, Amadi, Hill, Flowers, Stanley, Stephens, Thorpe, Randall, we have displayed the use of most of them and next year is going to be a year with less Cap space.

We have decisions coming and many of these guys are going to leverage themselves to a good salary.

Ideally skill wise I would like to see Adams, Diggs, Blair, Neal as our Safeties, Neal and Blair are swing guys and Adams and Diggs can play either Safety Spot also.

CB's Dunbar, Reed, Amadi, Griffin,

That leaves Flowers and Hill as odd men out really, Thorpe, Stanley, Randall and Stephens are a step further back.

Now Cash wise if they show up and the defense improves more with a pass rush it is going to be hard to keep this group together next season.

Who stays and who ends up going elsewhere or cut ?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Idk man. I'm not giving up on flowers. He is fine when he actually plays what he is supposed to. Dunbar is the odd man out. I think dunbar is a fantastic player, but he isnt homegrown and honestly qbs pick on him more than any other corner on our team. We typically let these guys walk. It's crazy because coming into the season i thought he was a tremendous add to the depth chart and still can be. Reed played well today. Amadi has been all year, Blair played well before injury but was playing nickel not safety. Neal is balling. Diggs is fine. He is becoming the leader we need back there. I like your roster. I would just make a few changes. Oh and honestly I would keep hill because Blair is a corner now. Hill played well with the other products out there when he was in.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Our secondary players also have a history of under-performing after relocating. There was a time when anyone who played CB opposite Richard Sherman was poached by another team where they were singularly disappointing, while the replacement was a star for us and went on to be poached by another team and the cycle continued.

I think people are wary of picking up secondary players from Pete Carroll teams.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":33lae7ws said:
This looks like a good problem, we all of a sudden have a group of DB's that is going to be making a lot of teams radar, Reed, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Adams, Neal, Amadi, Hill, Flowers, Stanley, Stephens, Thorpe, Randall, we have displayed the use of most of them and next year is going to be a year with less Cap space.

We have decisions coming and many of these guys are going to leverage themselves to a good salary.

Ideally skill wise I would like to see Adams, Diggs, Blair, Neal as our Safeties, Neal and Blair are swing guys and Adams and Diggs can play either Safety Spot also.

That leaves Flowers and Hill as odd men out really, Thorpe, Stanley, Randall and Stephens are a step further back.

Now Cash wise if they show up and the defense improves more with a pass rush it is going to be hard to keep this group together next season.

This is a really good analysis, but the results need to be seen with time and that's what we don't have with a lot of these guys.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think this is why we went all in this year during the season / right before. Dunlap, Adams etc. It is not just because we have a chance to win this year, it is because we may have a big issue next year....

AgentDib

Reaction score
Most of the problem with forecasting is that availability is a really valuable component to this picture and we just don't know how injuries are going to shake out in the future.

If Adams and Diggs stay healthy then they will be easy decisions to pay and keep around. There's also a world in which they don't and it gets a lot more complicated.

Griffin may be the one we let walk. Thus far he looks like a good but not great outside CB, and there's usually a team in FA that wildly overpays that sort of player. Unless we come up with an extension over the next few months then Griffin will be a UFA and odds will be stacked against him returning.

mikeak":1knsnzs9 said:
I think this is why we went all in this year during the season / right before. Dunlap, Adams etc. It is not just because we have a chance to win this year, it is because we may have a big issue next year....
Under the fixed salary cap the real problem is if we overpay good but not great players. Letting them walk instead isn't the end of the world, because we'll still be spending just as much as our opponents but doing so more wisely (and with the potential of compensatory picks).

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. The players that command a lot of money on our team are already signed aside Adam's, snacks, and dunlap. The dbs won't command much money because honestly they arent producing at an elite level. They are playing well enough. Adam's will command a good dollar sign, but beside him...after we lock him up everybody should be on team friendly.

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":1p4dew78 said:

This team has always been based on competition... let the competition sort it out and then let go what we can't afford and let our all pro GM find more players that fly under the radar and start the competition all over again...not really a problem.

JS is way underrated IMO..

LTH

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
LTH":1mk2zaqc said:
chris98251":1mk2zaqc said:

This team has always been based on competition... let the competition sort it out and then let go what we can't afford and let our all pro GM find more players that fly under the radar and start the competition all over again...not really a problem.

JS is way underrated IMO..

LTH

Agree.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1u7cnft0 said:
Most of the problem with forecasting is that availability is a really valuable component to this picture and we just don't know how injuries are going to shake out in the future.

If Adams and Diggs stay healthy then they will be easy decisions to pay and keep around. There's also a world in which they don't and it gets a lot more complicated.

Griffin may be the one we let walk. Thus far he looks like a good but not great outside CB, and there's usually a team in FA that wildly overpays that sort of player. Unless we come up with an extension over the next few months then Griffin will be a UFA and odds will be stacked against him returning.

mikeak":1u7cnft0 said:
Under the fixed salary cap the real problem is if we overpay good but not great players. Letting them walk instead isn't the end of the world, because we'll still be spending just as much as our opponents but doing so more wisely (and with the potential of compensatory picks).

This is a relative nit, but it's clear that Quill is at best a 50/50 stay or keep for a modest salary, and Quem's prospects are almost negligible for a new contract.

I understand their comity for each other but it's not like the team can continue to afford to indulge this. One or both will be moving on and if the one stays it's best to make it clear now instead of holding out false hope.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great post Chris. This team is going from behind held together with duct tape to having some legit depth, and soon.