We need a true NT

bileever

Reaction score
While true the Bears finished 13th in Defensive DVOA that year as far as I remember and that is with all their injuries and turmoil. Also after Desai left the Bears defense worsened. But that can't be pinned all on the new coaches as the Bears were going through a transition year with the arrival of Eberflus. Very similar to what is happening to the Cardinals in 2023 and Gannon.
Yes, I think the Bears might have had the worst defense last year by any measure. Of course, it was a rebuilding year, and they did trade away a bunch of good players, like Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn and Roquan Smith. It's still hard to figure out from these outcomes how effective Desai is as a defensive coordinator. How the Eagles do this year might answer that question.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Yes, I think the Bears might have had the worst defense last year by any measure. Of course, it was a rebuilding year, and they did trade away a bunch of good players, like Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn and Roquan Smith. It's still hard to figure out from these outcomes how effective Desai is as a defensive coordinator. How the Eagles do this year might answer that question.
His resume shows nothing, people must like him and he interviews well. Be interesting to see if the Eagles falter and the Hawks move up.

toffee

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm not sold on Hurtt yet either, and yiu bring up good points about Desai. Question is, did we keep the right guy between the two.

Hurtt - he SEEMS like he has the 'leader' act down. He looks the part in front of the cameras, but is it an act or does he really have the respect of the lockerroom.

I can certainly see how Clint could have struggled some last year if he was trying to step into the top dog's shoes AND pick up and teach the philosophy Pete might be driving for - one that's not as straightforward as the scheme he ran with the LOB.

I don't think Pete was sold on Hurtt this time last year, not 100%. Pete first hired Donatell to baby sat Hurtt, but Donatell ran once Vikings offered DC. After Donatell quit or refused to accept whatever Pete and him agreed upon, a desperate Pete went out and grabbed Desay. Supposingly, Hurtt was the DC but Desay had the handle on defense backfield and Desay out ranked Hurtt on the coaches hierarchy being asst head coach or something to that effect . I thought at the time that structure wasn't ideal.

What goes around comes around, Donatell was fired after one year, but neither Pete or Clint wanted him back. Desay, we shall see, his Chicago Bear defense wasn't good, if he fails again in Philly, he won't be a DC again for a long time.

As for Hurtt, I am still not sold on him.

On February 4, 2022, it was announced that the Seattle Seahawks had hired Donatell in a senior defensive role.[7] However, on February 10, it was announced that Donatell would not be joining the Seahawks and would instead join the Minnesota Vikings as their defensive coordinator for the 2022 season.