Seattle won easily BUT

HawkGA

Reaction score
The facemask stands out to me as a horrible non-call
Out in the open, on the guy with the ball. How do they not see that?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":18zmnes0 said:
Laloosh":18zmnes0 said:
That sack that Wilson took wasn't good but he literally had nowhere to go. He can't just throw it away because he's still between the tackles. Jets had three defenders in his face almost immediately.

You can eat a sack without losing 15 yards. Russell did his typical Russell thing, which many times works out. It's like he took off, then realized he really couldn't run, then fell down. He can fall down 10 yards closer to the line, but at least it didn't hurt us.

The refs called a lot of holding on the Jets' OL. They call many more, and it's a choppy and long game.

The problem was, they missed/screwed up very obvious and blatant calls. I don't know how you miss that face mask on Michael, especially when he's drug down from behind. I thought it was a horse collar at first it was so bad. No flag...really ?

The Sherman DPI was the worst call I've seen in any game this season, and maybe last season (might just seem like it because it's fresh). Marshall extends BOTH arms and shoves Sherman away, then cuts away from him. Seriously, you put that in the rule book as the very definition of OPI, yet they not only don't call it, they call it the OTHER way. What ?!

I get frustrated by how many calls go against us where a guy catches the ball, spins, takes 2 steps, loses it, then it's called incomplete. I honestly don't think even the refs know what a complete pass is anymore.

I get pissed about the easy ones. A lot of holding calls in the interior OL are hard to see and I get that. It's why guys do it. But the calls in space with refs right there are just bad, and it reflects poorly on the league. Seriously, they looked like ratings calls in this game to keep it from getting out of hand.

In a closer game with a more talented opponent, this could've hurt us. It didn't so I let it go. But the refs were a shit show this game and it showed because they seemed confused, slow to the calls, and calling it on the wrong players.

Blah, blah, blah... and I suppose he's never back pedaled and made a great play. Win some; lose some.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It was bad and like others have said it has been bad league wide. I just wish there was more consistency and a emphasis on calling things you SEE not what you think you see. It's not being coached into the refs. They call holds when they think they see it and need to be taught to only call what you actually see not what looks like it could of been. Sadly the officiating is an easy fix but they aren't willing to do it. They could have an eye in the sky ref who can quickly make a decision or make phantom flag thrown. The Michael facemask is one that would of been called right with no extra time taken. It doesn't make sense.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1tf433e7 said:
Hawks46":1tf433e7 said:
Laloosh":1tf433e7 said:
That sack that Wilson took wasn't good but he literally had nowhere to go. He can't just throw it away because he's still between the tackles. Jets had three defenders in his face almost immediately.

You can eat a sack without losing 15 yards. Russell did his typical Russell thing, which many times works out. It's like he took off, then realized he really couldn't run, then fell down. He can fall down 10 yards closer to the line, but at least it didn't hurt us.

The refs called a lot of holding on the Jets' OL. They call many more, and it's a choppy and long game.

The problem was, they missed/screwed up very obvious and blatant calls. I don't know how you miss that face mask on Michael, especially when he's drug down from behind. I thought it was a horse collar at first it was so bad. No flag...really ?

The Sherman DPI was the worst call I've seen in any game this season, and maybe last season (might just seem like it because it's fresh). Marshall extends BOTH arms and shoves Sherman away, then cuts away from him. Seriously, you put that in the rule book as the very definition of OPI, yet they not only don't call it, they call it the OTHER way. What ?!

I get frustrated by how many calls go against us where a guy catches the ball, spins, takes 2 steps, loses it, then it's called incomplete. I honestly don't think even the refs know what a complete pass is anymore.

I get pissed about the easy ones. A lot of holding calls in the interior OL are hard to see and I get that. It's why guys do it. But the calls in space with refs right there are just bad, and it reflects poorly on the league. Seriously, they looked like ratings calls in this game to keep it from getting out of hand.

In a closer game with a more talented opponent, this could've hurt us. It didn't so I let it go. But the refs were a shit show this game and it showed because they seemed confused, slow to the calls, and calling it on the wrong players.

Blah, blah, blah... and I suppose he's never back pedaled and made a great play. Win some; lose some.

It's not just blah, blah, blah (which by the way is quite rude considering the person who wrote the opposing view point put thought into their post while you just shrugged it off). Those backpedaling rabbit sacks have cost us field range multiple times and are becoming more frequent. The league has figured out that he will spin backwards and they are gameplanning for it. Result - huge 15 yard sacks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
One of the more poorly officiated games in quite some time IMO and nearly all the calls and non-calls that sucked went against the Hawks.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I agree with those that are upset with the officiating of the Jets game. I told my wife during the game that it wasn't even enjoyable watching this game, even with a good lead and the obvious ass-kicking we were handing the Jets, because the officiating was so poor.

Just because we overcame the terrible calls and ended up winning the game doesn't make it right that we had too. If you just accept it and don't make it a point to be corrected the next time could be against a much tougher opponent where it Does effect the outcome of the game. I hope Pete blasts this officiating crew in his report to the league office.

At times In this game, there was almost a feeling of the refs being happy to be able to throw a flag or try to effect the game as much as possible, almost like they were on a mission to be a "part" of the game. Someone posted a perfect gif to illustrate that on the Earl Thomas interception where the ref is staring ET down the entire time and even reaches toward his flag at one point but just can't find a good enough reason to throw it... If I can find where it was posted I'll add it here as well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That roughing the passer call was one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my 25 some years of watching football. Good lord that was bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The PI on Sherm...
Michael having his head go sideways (no call)
Russ getting drilled in the back WAY after his pass on the first long drive (no call)
Clearly a fumble on the JETS first drive (magically called incomplete)

Pathetic

253hawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1cih2c6n said:
Someone posted a perfect gif to illustrate that on the Earl Thomas interception where the ref is staring ET down the entire time and even reaches toward his flag at one point but just can't find a good enough reason to throw it... If I can find where it was posted I'll add it here as well.

That was mine.

https://gfycat.com/WatchfulEveryFlounder

Anyone notice McKinnon grabbing his ding-ding last night after his TD? Watch him not get fined, because he's not Lynch...

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I thought I was watching the other game we had a couple years back in New Yawk. Yanno the drill...I think it had a 48 near it. We just had to play harder so they cant eek out a win in the end.

Threedee

Reaction score
I'll let the refs off on the fumble, because the NFL has essentially codified "sorry, America, but we do not know what a catch is," into the rule book.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Threedee":38dvdhu7 said:
I'll let the refs off on the fumble, because the NFL has essentially codified "sorry, America, but we do not know what a catch is," into the rule book.

So Logic suggests that if they dont know what a catch is, then how would they know what a fumble is???? :twisted: :stirthepot:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1zn8iabp said:
253hawk":1zn8iabp said:
DJrmb":1zn8iabp said:
Someone posted a perfect gif to illustrate that on the Earl Thomas interception where the ref is staring ET down the entire time and even reaches toward his flag at one point but just can't find a good enough reason to throw it... If I can find where it was posted I'll add it here as well.

That was mine.

Looks like he is reaching for his "change of possession" flag, the blue one on his left hip.
Disagree. Looks like he was watching very carefully for an unsportsmanlike celebration though I don't believe he's reaching for either flag.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I've already expressed my frustration with the "questionable" officiating that went on in this game, I always think our guys get a bad call or two in the course of a game, but this game was over the top, and this is the only time I've ever complained out loud about it on the forum.
I have maintained for sometime now that there needs to be some kind of format where refs that engage in this sort of thing can be held accountable. If they want to plead ignorance or innocence that's fine, players do to and still have to suffer the penalties assigned to their actions. How about if we levy penalties or fines against refs who make obvious bad calls and adhere to them even after review, and clear evidence of their mistaken judgement. I think they could and should be held just as accountable for their infractions as the players are.
I have built and hosted websites over the past 20 years, I have my own server, and I had thought for awhile now about creating a site dedicated to rating refs in the NFL. At the end of the season a score would be assigned to each ref, with a summary of their play calling and ratings based on their calls that had effected the outcome of the game.
As a collective of participating fans we would create a summary of our findings in an annual report, complete with all of our electronic signatures, so that the NFL would understand this wasn't something to be ignored, and submit it to the NFL for review.
It seems that if NFL players are expected to maintain a minimum level of performance and adherence to the rules in order to remain on the field and play their positions, maybe it's time the refs be held to those same standards that they impose on the players.
If any of you think this is a good idea, let me know, maybe even suggest some domain names for a website. We could take a few of those suggestions and compile them into a poll and figure out what works best for most. I wouldn't mind dedicating some of my time and resources to creating this monster.
On a closing note, I also agree that in this particular game, that in spite of the terrible play calling, that our Hawks managed to win, but in too many close games this hasn't and won't be the case, and in too many seasons it only takes one or two losses to find your way out of the running for a shot at the Super Bowl title. The Jets game could have had a much different outcome had we not been firing on all 8 that day. The Hawks won two games that day, the one against the Jets and the one against the refs, who in my humble opinion were doing everything they could to effect a much different outcome for the Seahawks. .

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pacific101":3mfspues said:
I've already expressed my frustration with the "questionable" officiating that went on in this game, I always think our guys get a bad call or two in the course of a game, but this game was over the top, and this is the only time I've ever complained out loud about it on the forum.
I have maintained for sometime now that there needs to be some kind of format where refs that engage in this sort of thing can be held accountable. If they want to plead ignorance or innocence that's fine, players do to and still have to suffer the penalties assigned to their actions. How about if we levy penalties or fines against refs who make obvious bad calls and adhere to them even after review, and clear evidence of their mistaken judgement. I think they could and should be held just as accountable for their infractions as the players are.
I have built and hosted websites over the past 20 years, I have my own server, and I had thought for awhile now about creating a site dedicated to rating refs in the NFL. At the end of the season a score would be assigned to each ref, with a summary of their play calling and ratings based on their calls that had effected the outcome of the game.
As a collective of participating fans we would create a summary of our findings in an annual report, complete with all of our electronic signatures, so that the NFL would understand this wasn't something to be ignored, and submit it to the NFL for review.
It seems that if NFL players are expected to maintain a minimum level of performance and adherence to the rules in order to remain on the field and play their positions, maybe it's time the refs be held to those same standards that they impose on the players.
If any of you think this is a good idea, let me know, maybe even suggest some domain names for a website. We could take a few of those suggestions and compile them into a poll and figure out what works best for most. I wouldn't mind dedicating some of my time and resources to creating this monster.
On a closing note, I also agree that in this particular game, that in spite of the terrible play calling, that our Hawks managed to win, but in too many close games this hasn't and won't be the case, and in too many seasons it only takes one or two losses to find your way out of the running for a shot at the Super Bowl title. The Jets game could have had a much different outcome had we not been firing on all 8 that day. The Hawks won two games that day, the one against the Jets and the one against the refs, who in my humble opinion were doing everything they could to effect a much different outcome for the Seahawks. .

The problem with this is the fact that all games would have to be watched....that is ALL GAMES in the league. Then you or the quorum would have to decide if the weak team was the underlying factor as to how they were called. Also is there a Bias that needs to be taken into affect. THen the point would need to be made that the replay officials need to be put in this big ball of worms too. If you try to take out the subjective and make it totally objective, there is a problem there too in that the rules seem to have some subjectivity in some of the sub categories. Not trying to define what you are doing, just giving you potential problems with this effort. Some people have time to do all the analysis on this type of activity, and they work at EsPN and Nfl Network along with the other sporting channels.
If this was made into an effort, then you would need a quorum of people that are fans of all teams that can be totally unbiased in their approach to the game. Finding that would be almost impossible. Everyone is biased to one extent or another...even me. Ugh..I just said it.
Good luck with this endeavor if you prove to decide to make it work.

rjdriver

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3nn9viot said:
It's not just us. Check out this botch job in the Cleveland Washington game. The Redskins tricked the ref into giving them the ball.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index. ... o_red.html

The roughing the passer called on SF in the Dallas game was mind blowing! Absolutely mind blowing. It cost the Niners a chance for the game as it was third down and the call gave Dallas the opportunity to score which they did.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":6gwlws9d said:
FlyHawksFly":6gwlws9d said:
253hawk":6gwlws9d said:
DJrmb":6gwlws9d said:

That was mine.

Looks like he is reaching for his "change of possession" flag, the blue one on his left hip.
Disagree. Looks like he was watching very carefully for an unsportsmanlike celebration though I don't believe he's reaching for either flag.

I don't see a problem with this though. The play was clearly over. About the only thing to watch closely is if a taunting/unsportsmanlike penalty occurs.

Also worth noting, seeing how other games were officiated this week (excessive twerking anyone?) -- that the league likely dictated a 'point of emphasis' on these situations leaguewide. Particularly in the wake of another OBJ emotional blow up the week prior.

It's reasonable to argue that the refs were told (and the teams as well) that they would be looking to crack down on this.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Rams, also at home, got some amazing calls too.

The financial incentives that go along with home teams winning games in front of their paying, color-wearing fans makes the possibility that the games are rigged all the more believable - and gross. Yikes, for what that means to rules integrity.

Largent80

Reaction score
You can type a mountain of text but it can be summed up in one sentence.

An NFL team must beat the other team AND the officials, which means, a team needs to dominate the other team to win.

It has been proven for decades.

CHawk

Reaction score
I'm not defending the ref's in this game, but you have never been on the field as an official you wouldn't know some angles your vision is blocked out by players or just the way the tackler is positioned. I'm a high school official and on the face mask play I'm thinking the umpire was behind the offense (I personal don't like that set-up and we never do in high school) and his responsibility is holding but vision was blocked by the tackler and the wing official because he grabbed it inside turning him outward. Deep officials have receivers responsibility. That is one of the reasons they were experimenting with 8 officials. Remember they are looking at this in really time and the farther away from the play you will see more. I didn't watch a replay and could be wrong but sometimes those plays that seem an easy calls are not. We did get hosed in the Superbowl.