Secret star or over rated?

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":1zespilk said:
"But there is one gaping hole in this theory. Even if it is true that Maxwell blows 40% of his coverages, how can you explain the fact that NFL QBs are only completing 40% of the passes targeting him? Maxwell has some extra help from Earl Thomas, but I don't find that alone to be enough of an explanation"

I think what the author is saying is that he charted ALL of Maxwell's plays. He can blow 40% of his coverages, but QB's don't always take advantage of it with a completion. He even mentioned that the pass rush sometimes makes up for this.

I know. My point is that how much does it matter if QBs cannot capitalize on it? Brees and Manning are two of the best ever, and other than a garbage time TD in XLVIII, they simply could not take advantage of Maxwell's mistakes.

The 34-7 game on MNF really stood out. Brees was "sacked" when he threw that forward fumble to Bennett for a pick-six. But other than that play, he had 5+ seconds to throw on an alarming number of passing opportunities. And yet he couldn't find anyone to throw to. The playoff game was similar, in fact Brees actually had less success in the first 3 quarters of the rematch than he did in the first go.

Manning was pressured enough, but against a normal secondary he would have had plenty of time to do his Peyton Manning thing and unload the ball in 1.8 seconds on most snaps. I don't think our pass rush forced Manning to hurry throws, he was actually taking more time to unload the ball than usual. It was the secondary forcing him to hold the ball longer than what he was comfortable with, and the pass rush was able to benefit from that with hits and hurries.

If there is an excuse for those all time great QBs failing to punish Maxwell, it's not the pass rush. My theory is that between Maxwell's precocious ball skills and Earl Thomas' elite ability to cover ground and ball hawk, the elite QBs we've faced have been loathe to target Maxwell, even when by appearances he seems to be behind his man by a step.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":20ncn9ve said:
hawk45":20ncn9ve said:
Browner, Maxwell, doesn't matter who's manning that side of the field when Earl can basically disregard Sherm's side and cheat to help corner #2. Before Sherm re-upped there was talk that even Sherm was a system CB who could be replaced, I don't buy that at all, but with Sherm and Earl locked in? FFFF... bring on Lane or whoever, we're just fine.

You wouldn't be saying this if it were Kelly Jennings as the #2CB

Truth.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Not worried about Sherm's health. Unless he gets bored to death, he should be fine.

Perfundle

Reaction score
kearly":2g7j1zzv said:
Brees and Manning are two of the best ever, and other than a garbage time TD in XLVIII, they simply could not take advantage of Maxwell's mistakes.
Except that Fahey's numbers show that he hardly made any mistakes against New Orleans in either game. As for Manning, he certainly did take advantage; other than giving up the TD, Maxwell gave up a few other passes and was called for a pass interference, and got away with another one on the TD.

My point is that how much does it matter if QBs cannot capitalize on it?
It will matter if teams notice this on the tape and make a point to run routes that he's weak against; they didn't know what those routes were last year because he was too much of an unknown.

The biggest issue with Fahey's numbers is that while he distinguishes between successful and failed coverages, he doesn't distinguish between a typical successful coverage and one that ends up as an interception. It is here that Maxwell shines in coverage, as he was as good as Sherman at picking off passes last year.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I think BMax is a player and I would want to keep him.
Many Seahawk haters say Sherm is overrated because he doesn't have to cover the opponents #1 like PP does in AZ.
If Sherm isn't covering the #1, BM is. My limited old man eye test saw very few TD's and long completions given up by 41.