Selective officiating

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":15y9bv47 said:
olyfan63":15y9bv47 said:
Uncle Si":15y9bv47 said:
chris98251":15y9bv47 said:
The Saints game where the Lineman got a interception and he stiff armed him yet the trailer got a flag for block in the back.

was it a block in the back?

HELL YES, it was a block in the back, an obvious flag. I confess I didn't notice that until the second time I saw that clip, then it jumped out at me. None of the clips at the time mentioned there was a flag on the play, so I just figured the refs missed it. Glad to hear it was called. The announcers were too busy crowing about how the QB got lit up making the tackle, and totally glossed over the blatant block in the back on said QB.

He barely touched him if at all, the stiff arm drove him 180 degrees and that touch if that had no effect. In fact if there was contact it probably was due to the stiff arm, I would need to really see it again.

I didn't see it the first time I watched it.

Watch it again, and if you still see it differently, certainly your right to do so. I'd be interested in what you think after a 2nd closer look.

So QB's are not known for being big-time defensive tackling hitters in the first place, and many have been injured on INT return plays. The QB was going to get trucked a bit anyway, but then add the shove in the back from a freakishly strong NFL player, and the not-so-stout QB is going to go FLYING on the hit. Which he did.

The real point is, what the hell is the player shoving the QB in the back thinking? Regardless of how much or how little the pressure of the push, it's going to draw a block-in-the-back flag from any official who has eyes on it. It looks bad, even if he whiffed, which he didn't IMO, and it's simply a brain dead, unnecessary play.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
olyfan63:2murxge9 said:
The real point is, what the hell is the player shoving the QB in the back thinking? Regardless of how much or how little the pressure of the push, it's going to draw a block-in-the-back flag from any official who has eyes on it. It looks bad, even if he whiffed, which he didn't IMO, and it's simply a brain dead, unnecessary play.
It's more understandable (but NOT forgivable) when you realize that even 7th-round draft picks and undrafted NFL players spent their entire lives getting away with breaking pretty much all rules, and many laws, until they got to the NFL.

It's NOT an excuse; but it's easier to understand when you think about the life experiences, on average, these guys have had when they get to the pros. "What do you mean, I had to watch tape last night? I had a cheerleader/rush/pledge do that for me in junior high, high school, and college."

Case in point...JaMarcus Russell was acting exactly like that with the Raiders, lol: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... tched-film

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2h42t5m0 said:
Sports Hernia":2h42t5m0 said:
Uncle Si":2h42t5m0 said:
You guys would lose your mind watching soccer.. (all obvious jokes aside... the officiating is so bad, so subjective, and the players do their best to take advantage)
The final straw with me with soccer is the flopping. Guy acts like he got shot, barely touched or not at all, they stretcher him off, 30 seconds later he back on the field like nothing happened. Same reason I got turned off from basketball especially the NBA. When the officials cannot tell the difference between bad acting and an infraction, that sport has serious issues.

That stuff has pretty much been shamed away in the bigger leagues.

You'll still see embellishment to get a foul/penalty. But the over the top stuff is rarer now and gets called out on TV and social media.

Seeing guys in the NFL throw their hands up alot now as if they're being held. Sort of similar.
I’m sure you are correct I haven’t watched the World Cup level type soccer in years.
That’s good they are trying to clean up the flopping. Yes I cannot stand the gesturing for a call in the NFL either. Receivers especially piss me off when they do the “throw the flag” gesture. I think that should be flagged itself.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":hgv10qmd said:
Sports Hernia":hgv10qmd said:
Uncle Si":hgv10qmd said:
You guys would lose your mind watching soccer.. (all obvious jokes aside... the officiating is so bad, so subjective, and the players do their best to take advantage)
The final straw with me with soccer is the flopping. Guy acts like he got shot, barely touched or not at all, they stretcher him off, 30 seconds later he back on the field like nothing happened. Same reason I got turned off from basketball especially the NBA. When the officials cannot tell the difference between bad acting and an infraction, that sport has serious issues.

That stuff has pretty much been shamed away in the bigger leagues.

You'll still see embellishment to get a foul/penalty. But the over the top stuff is rarer now and gets called out on TV and social media.

Seeing guys in the NFL throw their hands up alot now as if they're being held. Sort of similar.
Or sniveling for an OPI call. Sick to death of it. Best thing about Monday night's game was that the players realized pretty early on there weren't going to be many calls and went about the business of playing football and didn't cry for flags.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I hope that the NFL will realize we don't want reality TV with manufactured drama in re the officiating and just let the game play on.

Just from my feeble brain: 9 times out of 10, non calls that aren't over analyzed by the TV crew are not important to the game. And nobody cares. All of the calls that make peep's heads explode are non-calls.

LET THEM PLAY.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
AubHawk71":dezdty2y said:
I hope that the NFL will realize we don't want reality TV with manufactured drama in re the officiating and just let the game play on.

Just from my feeble brain: 9 times out of 10, non calls that aren't over analyzed by the TV crew are not important to the game. And nobody cares. All of the calls that make peep's heads explode are non-calls.

LET THEM PLAY.
Sure, but let them have the option to challenge every call, too.