Serious points to get the O to produce

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Another game sample to show the O can only move the ball with consistency under the hurry up. More proof that Bevell scripted calls are poo poo.

Hey John, you ever going to sign a fullback?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seabowl":2yhd65ue said:
With the O (personnel including coaches) the way it is now, and assuming there is no way Bevell/Cable are going anywhere soon, here are the things IMO that would make the O better:

1- up tempo O. It seems when we run the O the traditional way the O cannot move the ball at all or at least with any consistency. This is a product of defenses running prevent formations late in the half. In other situations, no-huddle is not a guarantee and can only leave your defense tired. The Carson TD drive was not up-tempo.
2- bring some form of the read option back. At least for some plays to keep the D guessing. See 1. Read-option isn't going to give Wilson a lot of open ground until the defense's back seven is playing fifteen yards off the line of scrimmage.
3- Shotgun almost every play. Russ seems to thrive out of the shotgun vs behind center. Can't argue with that.
4- Ok I'll cheat a little by saying bring in a real FB like Marcel Reece to open some holes for sake. Or that.
5- get rid of bubble screens Do people really just coast on perceptions like this, long after they've ceased to be true? I've seen one bubble screen in the last three games that I remember. It went for ten yards. Last year, they were going for six and seven a pop.
6- when you need the 1st down, script a play to throw to the receiver past the 1st down marker. This also annoys me. We don't have enough YAC talent to be doing this.
7- even during running plays spread out the personnel more to allow easier lanes for Russ to throw or the rb's to hit. This is a consequence of wanting to protect Russell.

Look I'm not an NFL coach but these at least to me are pretty obvious things that even a laymen like myself can see improving what we have. Thoughts?

seabowl":2yhd65ue said:
Another game sample to show the O can only move the ball with consistency under the hurry up. More proof that Bevell scripted calls are poo poo.

Bevell's scripted calls got us a TD on the opening drive last week. Or they were about to, until Prosise dropped it.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3lx0yl51 said:
seabowl":3lx0yl51 said:
With the O (personnel including coaches) the way it is now, and assuming there is no way Bevell/Cable are going anywhere soon, here are the things IMO that would make the O better:

1- up tempo O. It seems when we run the O the traditional way the O cannot move the ball at all or at least with any consistency. This is a product of defenses running prevent formations late in the half. In other situations, no-huddle is not a guarantee and can only leave your defense tired. The Carson TD drive was not up-tempo.
2- bring some form of the read option back. At least for some plays to keep the D guessing. See 1. Read-option isn't going to give Wilson a lot of open ground until the defense's back seven is playing fifteen yards off the line of scrimmage.
3- Shotgun almost every play. Russ seems to thrive out of the shotgun vs behind center. Can't argue with that.
4- Ok I'll cheat a little by saying bring in a real FB like Marcel Reece to open some holes for sake. Or that.
5- get rid of bubble screens Do people really just coast on perceptions like this, long after they've ceased to be true? I've seen one bubble screen in the last three games that I remember. It went for ten yards. Last year, they were going for six and seven a pop.
6- when you need the 1st down, script a play to throw to the receiver past the 1st down marker. This also annoys me. We don't have enough YAC talent to be doing this.
7- even during running plays spread out the personnel more to allow easier lanes for Russ to throw or the rb's to hit. This is a consequence of wanting to protect Russell.

Look I'm not an NFL coach but these at least to me are pretty obvious things that even a laymen like myself can see improving what we have. Thoughts?

seabowl":3lx0yl51 said:

Bevell's scripted calls got us a TD on the opening drive last week. Or they were about to, until Prosise dropped it.

Every Bevell finds a nut once in a while.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Now that it has been some time since this was put on .Net I wanted to see what progress if any was made. I think the key is the first point where we need to run an up tempo O to sustain drives. It's beyond obvious now that Bevells scripted plays do not work as a whole and once Russ gets to play calls as he sees it on the field the O just plain plays better.

What does this mean? We are better off without Bevell and his play calling.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3kmuzmfr said:
Now that it has been some time since this was put on .Net I wanted to see what progress if any was made. I think the key is the first point where we need to run an up tempo O to sustain drives. It's beyond obvious now that Bevells scripted plays do not work as a whole and once Russ gets to play calls as he sees it on the field the O just plain plays better.

What does this mean? We are better off without Bevell and his play calling.
Wrong. Instead of being knee-jerk, take a look at the big picture and it's evident Bevell's play designs are working. But feel free to throw the ol' hands up in the air and panic on those rare times we stumble. Even in yesterday's game, the offense had the win on the tee with 90 seconds to go and the defense just needed to prevent a touchdown.

But that didn't happen and we have 4 days to refocus on Drew Stanton.

adeltaY

Reaction score
They got us the lead but 0 offensive points through 3 quarters against a depleted defense is terrible. Shoot, even if Walsh makes them it's only 9 points. That's just not good enough.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This game was a perfect example of why you can't let an inferior team hang around. They had many many many chances to put up more points. Beat themselves, period.