Sherman So Far

mikeak

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":bfdmlvng said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/1044284336453779458[/tweet]

So this one was discussed at Brock and Dalk this morning and everyone is using this narrative how much sherman lost by negotiating for himself

He NEVER had that money.

He was an injured aged player. All teams knew there was a big risk signing him. The only way to get that money in the contract was by making them bonuses. If he stays healthy and performs at a high level then good for him. When he gets injured as now then truly no actual money lost.....

toffee

Reaction score
The risk of signing aging stars, they will have superb games, but they also carry higher risk of injury.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Well, I didn't overreact to his injury at all....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1049420110144901120[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1049377896542982144[/tweet]

Msfann

Reaction score
I wish Sherman well, I hope he's a pro bowler or at least the backup for whatever Seahawks play in it. I hope he breaks records and will be a hall of famer, as long as the 49ers keep losing too!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Good for him. I’m glad teams are still avoiding him. He’s a Seahawk for life. I don’t wish him any ill will.

I do think the injuries are likely to catch up with him. And of course, I hope the 4-9ers lose all of their remaining games, unless a win by them would help the Seahawks make the Wild Card.

On the whole, the Whiner defense remains terrible. They are 29th in scoring defense.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2cgtc3kq said:
Good for him. I’m glad teams are still avoiding him. He’s a Seahawk for life. I don’t wish him any ill will.

I do think the injuries are likely to catch up with him. And of course, I hope the 4-9ers lose all of their remaining games, unless a win by them would help the Seahawks make the Wild Card.

On the whole, the Whiner defense remains terrible. They are 29th in scoring defense.

They will be lucky to get 4 wins. and I mean lucky, cuz what's the point of missing out on a top pick now?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
PFF is using traditional statistics to elevate Sherman, but their own advanced stats show that he's not absolutely dominating to the level those traditional stats make it seem to be.

We also shouldn't shift the goalposts on the expectations for Sherman, though. Picking nits about how he has gotten beaten on passes where the ball was off target is beside the point, as you can say that about any CB in any year in the history of the NFL.

The standard here is that Sherman is getting paid to be a Top 20 cornerback in the NFL, not the best cornerback in the NFL.

In terms of if he's performing to expectations or not his comps are guys like Prince Amukamara, Joe Haden, Robert Alford, Logan Ryan, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Kareem Jackson, and Aaron Colvin.

If he finishes in the middle of those 8 guys he's about where he should be in comparison to his salary. If he's in the top half he has over-performed on expectations. So far he has very much over-performed on expectations.

SF49r

Reaction score
I sure hope we lose every game this season. This defense needs a pass rushing edge rusher bad and Bosa looks really good. I hate tanking much rather see Ws but dont want to miss out on the top talent

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ena0rqj said:
Sigh; I miss Sherman...
I miss him ripping an idiot sports radio host a new one, and I miss him calling out an epic failure of an OC..... but hey, that’s just me. 8)

Also miss his play on the field...... but that page has turned..:.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Honestly can't believe Sherm has played so well coming back from that Achilles injury. Figured he'd be a step or two slower which would really hurt his game since he was never really a super athletic, fast twitch type of guy.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2042jc4l said:
PFF is using traditional statistics to elevate Sherman, but their own advanced stats show that he's not absolutely dominating to the level those traditional stats make it seem to be.

We also shouldn't shift the goalposts on the expectations for Sherman, though. Picking nits about how he has gotten beaten on passes where the ball was off target is beside the point, as you can say that about any CB in any year in the history of the NFL.

The standard here is that Sherman is getting paid to be a Top 20 cornerback in the NFL, not the best cornerback in the NFL.

In terms of if he's performing to expectations or not his comps are guys like Prince Amukamara, Joe Haden, Robert Alford, Logan Ryan, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Kareem Jackson, and Aaron Colvin.

If he finishes in the middle of those 8 guys he's about where he should be in comparison to his salary. If he's in the top half he has over-performed on expectations. So far he has very much over-performed on expectations.

Right but teams are flat out not throwing at him so he's about as effective as a CB can be. That said, do you think it's a dam about to burst situation? Meaning the first good QB to really test him exposes him and it all comes crashing down? I hope not as a fan but what are your thoughts pops?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
adeltaY":2v5zlxoy said:
Right but teams are flat out not throwing at him so he's about as effective as a CB can be. That said, do you think it's a dam about to burst situation? Meaning the first good QB to really test him exposes him and it all comes crashing down? I hope not as a fan but what are your thoughts pops?

Nah, I don't think it's a dam about to burst.

From what we can see from the TV angle and replays, to be totally honest with you I think Sherm is down from his peak, but no more so than he was in the last year or two with Seattle either.

To me he's kinda like the Frank Gore of corner backs, in that his raw athletic ability was never the interesting part of his game to begin with. That doesn't mean he'll be able to stay average to above average into his mid-30s (the important part of the story for Gore people always leave out is health), but the things he's good at (quick processing in diagnosing plays and route combos; leverage and position; staying just within the lines of legal grabbing and holding) aren't the type of things that get worse with age.

Within reason I think he'll be able to play the game and not get totally picked on for as long as he's dedicated to doing that. It doesn't mean he's going to be a top CB week in and week out (those days are over, I think), but IMO he has a long window within that expansive gray area of "overall pretty good/not too bad" that Hawks fans who are so inclined will insist is "sucking" :lol:

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I think at some point this year someone's gonna test him and I wonder who it will be. Rodgers has been pretty content to avoid him so we probably won't see that this week. Hopefully he can get back on the INT train.

Marvin49

Reaction score
adeltaY":5b7m1ezc said:
Thanks for the answer. I think at some point this year someone's gonna test him and I wonder who it will be. Rodgers has been pretty content to avoid him so we probably won't see that this week. Hopefully he can get back on the INT train.

Honestly, I think Popeye hit the nail on the head.

I think Sherman has played well and has risen to the challenge when challenged, but he is rarely challenged. Some of that I think is reputation and some of that is that the guys on the other side are a leaving guys wide open. I honestly thought that there would be a big mismatch when they played KC. SOOOO much speed on that team and that's never been Sherman's strength. Through the first half though, it didn't happen (he was hurt for the second).

At some point he's going to give up a few and to some the sky will fall, but to his credit he's played well so far.

I also agree with Popeyes overlying point...Sherman was an athletic player no doubt. His biggest attribute physically was his length. That hasn't changed. He isn't fast but he was NEVER fast.

What made him such a GREAT player though was his eyes and the gray matter between his ears. That hasn't changed.

NINEster

Reaction score
I like the job Sherman has done so far.

Niners need to improve the pass rush and give him a good FS to back him up.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":3mf86ns7 said:

How's he going to hold up when Carson runs him over?

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2pqn1tvo said:
adeltaY":2pqn1tvo said:

How's he going to hold up when Carson runs him over?

He's one of the best tackling CBs, so I'm sure he'll hold his own.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't listen to the BS, we would love him as a player if he was here, yeah his angst against certain Coaches and the message got old but it had its substance also.

Some time a new view clears every ones air.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
NINEster":1xzpb35s said:
I like the job Sherman has done so far.

Niners need to improve the pass rush and give him a good FS to back him up.
I hear Earl Thomas might be a free agent next year.