Shiano vs Pete in how you treat a QB

plyka

Reaction score
Quite honestly, I saw a MASSIVE difference between how the Hawks teach their defense to treat the opposing QB with these new rules, and how Shiano teaches their defense to treat opposing QBs (at least in this one game since i'm not a big watcher of the Bucs). And in this respect, I take Shiano's way all the way. It may be the only area that I take the Shiano way, but he at least has 1.

I see the Hawks pull up so early on opposing QBs. If they are not there just as he is passing the ball, they pull up. Furthermore, even if they get their, during their hit they seem to pull up. Now Shiano's defense went overboard with all the helmet to helmet hits on the QB. But I would like our defense to punish the opposing QBs. When they throw it, hit them and hit them hard. Punish them. You can't allow an opposing QB to feel comfortable back there. Hits scare QBs, as they would anyone. They make them jumpy in the pocket. They make them think twice about holding it. They make them think about something other than the play. It's important in my mind, to stay away from helmet to helmet, but to PUNISH the opposing QB if you get there as they are throwing. Hit them hard, but legal, and don't ease up as you're going to the ground.

In the HAwks goal of eliminating penalties, I think they have gone overboard in this area. You need to take a few penalties here or there, if on the plus side you get 5-10 good hits on the QB which are going to negatively effect their game.

Another area non-related where avoiding penalties is causing issues is with the O-line ---if you have a free runner going past you, I dont care, GRAB A HOLD OF JERSEY instead of allowing the defender to destroy Russell Wilson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
plyka":mtap1pl3 said:
Quite honestly, I saw a MASSIVE difference between how the Hawks teach their defense to treat the opposing QB with these new rules, and how Shiano teaches their defense to treat opposing QBs (at least in this one game since i'm not a big watcher of the Bucs). And in this respect, I take Shiano's way all the way. It may be the only area that I take the Shiano way, but he at least has 1.

I see the Hawks pull up so early on opposing QBs. If they are not there just as he is passing the ball, they pull up. Furthermore, even if they get their, during their hit they seem to pull up. Now Shiano's defense went overboard with all the helmet to helmet hits on the QB. But I would like our defense to punish the opposing QBs. When they throw it, hit them and hit them hard. Punish them. You can't allow an opposing QB to feel comfortable back there. Hits scare QBs, as they would anyone. They make them jumpy in the pocket. They make them think twice about holding it. They make them think about something other than the play. It's important in my mind, to stay away from helmet to helmet, but to PUNISH the opposing QB if you get there as they are throwing. Hit them hard, but legal, and don't ease up as you're going to the ground.

In the HAwks goal of eliminating penalties, I think they have gone overboard in this area. You need to take a few penalties here or there, if on the plus side you get 5-10 good hits on the QB which are going to negatively effect their game.

Another area non-related where avoiding penalties is causing issues is with the O-line ---if you have a free runner going past you, I dont care, GRAB A HOLD OF JERSEY instead of allowing the defender to destroy Russell Wilson.
I don't like cheap shots taken on a Quarterback, especially when the ball has already been thrown, and a sack is no longer an option, the Defender needs to pull up.
I agree that action should be taken against players that are on a mission to ruin another players career.
I give them a once is a warning , but the second time?, he's carted off the field with a broken bone somewhere South of his nut sack, and North of his heels.
You can get a sack, and get your job done without being a prick, the Seahawks are being Coached up to do it that way

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
In other words, our coach should be bum that endorses a low-browed style of play. No thanks.

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
U say that now until 4+ times a game we make the mistake of keeping their drive alive with 15 free yards because Pete wants to take some poor fragile 6-4 220 pound man out

eastcoast12

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":25x7f812 said:
In other words, our coach should be bum that endorses a low-browed style of play. No thanks.

+1 on this.

I would also like to see a few more flags on the constant hits RW gets. I think they throw fewer on other D's b/c he's a "mobile" QB. Sometimes he's getting utterly killed w/ no calls.

Latest posts