Should Macdonald follow Chiefs blueprint?

jeremiah

Reaction score

Seahawks Spending over $40 million on 2 WRs (DK and Lockett). Meanwhile, the Chiefs, instead of signing Tyreke Hill to a massive payday, traded him and won 2 Super Bowls after that trade.

IMHO, one of our WRs need to go.

The key is to not follow what is, but to chart your own course. I would trade DK, keep Lockett on a paycut deal, and try and find a QB tuit suite...or is it toot is sweet? Real fast, like begin this year, cut salary by dumping DK, make the D younger and faster, and aside from a QB search, find some O linemen, we haven't had a top 5 OL since Britt, and the rent a LT who ONCE was a pro bowler. I would try and follow the Detroit way, only with a mobile QB.. like Penix who also has an arm like a rocket... ORRR Bo Nix if possible. Love them both, Nix has the edge in youth and health IMO.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You can't try to emulate their blueprint. They have a HOF Head Coach and a top 2 all-time QB. That isn't attainable. It masks everything else.

What is attainable is the 13-14 Hawks. Play great defense, get nasty, hope to find and develop a top 10 QB on the cheap.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The Niners came within a gnat's ass of winning a Lombardi with Mr. Irrelevant.
Never said there was only one way. Only that the two most recent dynasties followed the same blueprint.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Never said there was only one way. Only that the two most recent dynasties followed the same blueprint.
This is what I was reacting to:

Problem is the HOF QB guy. There are usually 28 teams looking for one every year.

bigcc

Reaction score

Seahawks Spending over $40 million on 2 WRs (DK and Lockett). Meanwhile, the Chiefs, instead of signing Tyreke Hill to a massive payday, traded him and won 2 Super Bowls after that trade.

IMHO, one of our WRs need to go.

Moving dk this year doesn't make any financial sense, but he has an out next offseason.

At which point ABSOLUTELY.... Next offseason (or this offseason) Jefferson and chase are going to DEMOLISH the current wr pay structure. Rookie wr contracts are going to EXPLODE in value and I'd love to get a jump on that (let's hope neither jj or chase get an extension this year).

I love dk (minus penalties), but his next contract is going to be significantly too pricy and long for a guy his size that will go well into his 30s.

I'd be stunned if he's here after this season., the contracts were drawn up this way for a reason.

bigcc

Reaction score
The key is to not follow what is, but to chart your own course. I would trade DK, keep Lockett on a paycut deal, and try and find a QB tuit suite...or is it toot is sweet? Real fast, like begin this year, cut salary by dumping DK, make the D younger and faster, and aside from a QB search, find some O linemen, we haven't had a top 5 OL since Britt, and the rent a LT who ONCE was a pro bowler. I would try and follow the Detroit way, only with a mobile QB.. like Penix who also has an arm like a rocket... ORRR Bo Nix if possible. Love them both, Nix has the edge in youth and health IMO.

Quite a lot of dumb thoughts to go through here so I'll keep it short

Nix is 3 months older than penix, whoops

Britt started 16 more games than "rent a tackle" despite being here two more seasons, and rental got an all pro and 2 pro bowls over 3 separate seasons here, so I don't know why you'd compare bum ass Britt to Duane brown of all people, who was SIGNIFICANTLY better, at a much more important position on the line.....

Also I must have missed when we had a top 5 OL, and even if we did (we didn't), why would you bag on the LT of that unit?

You’re pretty far off on cap mitigation, but at least that's understandable because it's a mess to navigate, but these two takes are stupid enough that you deserve to be shamed.

xray

Reaction score
Without a QB like Mahomes paired with a league's best defense ; how do can you possibly follow KCs blueprint ? You don't . imo

HawkFreak

Reaction score
That's true, but who else are you going to use as a blueprint? Or do you just wing it?
Maybe - just maybe - the hawks finally have some cutting edge creative architects that draw up some of their own blueprints. ;)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Under a fixed salary cap, the only way to improve the talent level on your team is to improve the production per dollar of your contracted players. You can do this by drafting a good player at any position, or extending any good drafted player to a second contract. JSN and LaPorta are both valuable assets that improve the talent level of their teams by having cheap contracts they can easily outperform. Who cares that one is a WR and one is a TE? Puka provided like $25m of production for the Rams on a 800k cap hit this year and was a key reason why they were better than predicted.

It does make the QB's job easier if you give them good weapons to work with regardless of position, and there are plenty of NFL offenses being elevated by WR, TE or RB play. There are also offenses that squander good weapons because of poor QB play or scheming. The obvious advantage of drafting a QB is they have the most upside between the low rookie contracts and the contract value of the average QB, but teams are fully aware of this and so they go earlier than they would otherwise.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Tout de suite is one of the most common expressions in the French language, and is just one of several ways to say “right away, immediately.” * Because the e in de is instable and therefore often silent, tout de suite is sometimes misspelled “toute suite” or even, in English, “toot sweet.” **

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I would try and follow the Detroit way, only with a mobile QB.. like Penix who also has an arm like a rocket... ORRR Bo Nix if possible. Love them both, Nix has the edge in youth and health IMO.
I think the Hawks could trade back in the first round and get McCarthy and a later round pick. We have lots of holes to fill. Lockett and Metcalf contracts are both high, I'm ok paying $24M for Metcalf but not $27.8M to Lockett too. Lockett has to restructure or get cut. Adams has to go at $26.9M. Diggs at $21.2M either needs to restructure now or perhaps give him one more year to prove himself under the new staff. Dissly at $10M for 17 receptions at 172 yards? No thanks. If you do all that, with the new salary cap at $249M you should have some room for new contracts on guys they're retaining and have enough left to get a couple guys like maybe Kendall Fuller and/or Mike Onwenu.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...draft-fit-joel-klatt-lamar-jackson-comparison

“But I will say that that (Macdonald) understands the importance of the quarterback’s ability to create between two and five first downs with his legs a game. Those are monumental because the defense can do everything right, which he’s uniquely aware, and then all of a sudden the quarterback makes you wrong. J.J. has that ability.”

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think the Hawks could trade back in the first round and get McCarthy and a later round pick. We have lots of holes to fill. Lockett and Metcalf contracts are both high, I'm ok paying $24M for Metcalf but not $27.8M to Lockett too. Lockett has to restructure or get cut. Adams has to go at $26.9M. Diggs at $21.2M either needs to restructure now or perhaps give him one more year to prove himself under the new staff. Dissly at $10M for 17 receptions at 172 yards? No thanks. If you do all that, with the new salary cap at $249M you should have some room for new contracts on guys they're retaining and have enough left to get a couple guys like maybe Kendall Fuller and/or Mike Onwenu.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...draft-fit-joel-klatt-lamar-jackson-comparison
More fuel for the fire on McCarthy:

https://fanduel.com/research/2024-nfl-draft-which-quarterback-is-statistically-superior

His 89.2 Total QBR was third in the nation, trailing only Daniels and Nix. Both of those guys are at least two years older than McCarthy, who just turned 21 in January.

McCarthy's Total QBR is more impressive than his AY/A (9.8) partly due to the schedule he faced. More than 63% of his pass attempts came against top-50 defenses by SP+, and the average opposing defensive rank was 38.8. Both were toughest of the six quarterbacks we're looking at today.