Should we consider doing everything possible to keep B-Max ?

raisethe3

Reaction score
I would say we wait out to see how it goes first. But Wilson, Wagner and Lynch are top priorities first in that order. I am crossing my fingers that he stays. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to have the LOB intact?

Speaking for corners, what about our previous pick Eric Pinkins? Dude is 6' 3" and heard that the Hawks want to convert him to playing cornerback?

Funny because I once said that I rather not pay Okung because he cost quite a bit. Then I got railed on this forum because someone here said finding replacing at LT is not easy.

evergreen

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2asvqu3f said:
I'd rather pay Max than Okung.
This. Watch how often OPkung is offsides. He is always early. I can't believe he isn't caught more. He is good when healthy, but kinda fragile. Maxwell is key. Can we Tag him?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Simon was terrible but he was also playing in the slot against small receivers and had almost no chance. He's been better when playing outside. I love Max but would take Wagner and Okung all day over him and trust they go get a guy or two

IrishNW

Reaction score
We already have an ELITE corner in Sherman. We don't need to pay B-max. Draft develop and lock up key players. B-max is just not a key player IMO.

timmat

Reaction score
Who knows if it's a one-or-the-other situation, but to play along, I'd take Max over Okung. Keep your strength in tact. If Max is gone, in nickel that puts Lane and Simon on field at same time - and that's with everyone healthy. All of a sudden there are obvious spots in the secondary to attack.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think they made the decision after they signed Sherman that it would be extremely difficult to afford another highly paid CB.

They will roll with Lane or Simon at Maxwell's spot and will roll Thomas to that side of the field for help over the top.

kearly

Reaction score
Considering that our #1 corner never gets thrown on, the importance of our #2 and #3 corners is closer to that of a #1. I'm afraid of what our pass defense might look like when Maxwell is gone. I think he is worth the money, but I understand if the team disagrees. To me there is no question the Maxwell brings more value to the defense than Wright does, but that's water under the bridge now.

crosfam

Reaction score
He will get (over)paid and go to a new team, and good for him. He hasn't made big money yet and now is the time for him to strike gold. I say draft a physically talented corner in rd one or two. See what Pinkins can do when healthy. Switch Tharold to back-up free safety where he can cover less and hit more (Jeron Johnson will go for the $ too). Sign a veteran or two that want a shot at rings.

We will need the savings to extend Wagner. If he hits the FA market he will get paid superstar money. I hope he gives us a hometown discount and takes an extension like Kam, Wright and Avril did.

OR - we could go after Revis for the other corner. Wouldn't that be fun?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up on Tharold Simon so soon, although I do think he has a lot of work to do on his technique. Before he separated his left shoulder, he was playing at an extremely high level. We saw very little of that in his last two games. The pass he broke up in the end zone in the Super Bowl was the kind of spectacular play he is capable of once he refines his technique.

Jeremy Lane is already an excellent corner. Before the season, I thought he would be the one to takeover for Maxwell. If that's the case, then Burley can play in the slot.

628x471.jpg

olyfan63

Reaction score
We need to keep Okung over Maxwell, if Okung can be had at a team-friendly price. Good LT's don't grow on trees and Okung is very good when healthy. He's had freak injuries, especially the Trent Cole fiasco, and I see the odds as more favorable for Okung to have a couple healthier years now. John and Pete will re-sign Okung, you heard it here first, or 43rd or whatever.

It's going to be tough to pay BMax but we absolutely should do everything we can to keep him. Wagner, aside from Wilson, is a top priority over BMax, but, if we can find a way to keep him, JS will find it. If not, draft and develop. Losing Jeremy Lane is arguably what cost us big in SB49, with Simon mismatched on too-quick receivers. Losing our #2 corner could have a negative ripple effect all through the LOB.

I hadn't heard Simon was injured in a way that affected his game against the Edelman's and Amendola's of the NFL. Does a bum shoulder really affect the way Simon was getting beaten?

original poster

Reaction score
I don't doubt that Simon can really step up next season. I can't remember which game it was this season but I remember thinking "wow this Simon guy is alight"...

I think Maxwell is gone and it could go either way for us.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":eed8xzwp said:
Simon was terrible but he was also playing in the slot against small receivers and had almost no chance. He's been better when playing outside........

I thought explosive quickness and change of direction of smaller men verses length and height of bigger men was the constant match up theme thru out Super Bowl 49.

Jville

Reaction score
“Hopefully it’s not the last game (for the Seahawks). I love it here,” he said of the Super Bowl, in which he had five tackles and again played nickel some after Lane broke his arm in the first quarter. “But I’ve got to think of what’s best for my family.”

Asked if he thinks his 2014 season as a starting corner and new nickel back indeed increased his value as a free agent, Maxwell said, “I don’t see how it could hurt.”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

I expect to see something of a bidding war for his services. I think Maxwell "was" the most versatile and pliable of their defensive backs. I think he will be a big loss.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/563171575046737920[/tweet]

Happypuppy

Reaction score
morgulon1":15kg5s0e said:
RobBaker7714409":15kg5s0e said:
Keeping Maxwell would probably mean not retaining one of Wagner, Lynch, or Okung.

My guess is that Okung is gone.

I agree. If I was the agent for Wilson I would press them to show they are going to improve the OL before I'd sign. If not at some point the odds catch up and Wilson gets hurt.

Okung is not the player be was and is paid as a top lineman but is not anymore.

crosfam

Reaction score
If we are going to improve the O-line I think the agent should not look to make his client the highest paid quarterback in the league. That designation leads to a decline, either right away or in the next couple of years after the signing. He deserves every penny, but can't we let Microsoft and Nike and all the sponsors make up the difference? Pretty please?

(As if I would ever take a 50% pay cut)

Hyak

Reaction score
I'd rather pay Wagner than Maxwell as BWagz is one of the top MLB's in football whereas Maxwell is good but far from being the best at his position. Add in that the Hawks seem to have a knack for finding corners and that helps.

If the market is somehow not there for him, then you re-evaluate but I have a feeling someone will pay big money for him.