Should we fear losing Dan Quinn to a head coaching gig?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
McGruff":wj9muk9w said:
Mojambo":wj9muk9w said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":wj9muk9w said:
Carroll runs the defense.

I may be in the minority but I am more afraid of losing Darrell Bevell.

Yep.

I think Bevell is as good as gone. He's probably the top coordinator head coaching candidate.

I'd prefer not to lose Quinn, but mostly because consistency is generally a good thing.

Carroll seems pretty hands on with the defense.

Next man up. Cable as OC, Carl Smith manages the passing game.
Pretty sure Carl Smith is close to retiring, which is why they moved Dave Canales to Asst. QB's Coach for this season, to groom him to take over that position very soon.

I really don't see any of the current offensive assistants taking over as full-time OC if Bevell leaves after this season. Cable comes the closest, but he's not (and has never been) a play-caller at this level. I'd expect PC to bring in a verteran from the outside, perhaps a guy like Hue Jackson of the Bengals, whom Cable worked with in Oakland and who is an outstanding coach, teacher and offensive mind.

Starrman44

Reaction score
As long as we have Pete Carroll things will be all right. He seems to know the right coaches to hire. Look at all the guys he has surrounded himself with. It's pretty cool. I think we will be ok.

Of course, I really want Quinn to stay in his current position, but I got faith that Pete will find a good replacement.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I know this is a thread about Quinn, but on the Bevell topic, another name I wouldn't completely rule out is Lane Kiffin. As we all know, Kiffin and PC were together for nearly all of PC's years at USC, and Kiffin was PC's play-caller there in the late 2000's before going to the Raiders. Kiffin and Cable then worked together in Oakland while Kiffin called his own plays, and the Raiders actually had a pretty darn good rushing offense during that time, despite being an under-manned team overall. PC and Cable do - and would continue to have - a significant stamp on the offense overall regardless of who is in the OC/play-caller role, so I can't completely rule out Kiffin re-uniting with PC in that capacity, post-Bevell. For all of Kiffin's faults, he knows exactly what PC likes/wants in an offense, and I think he could succeed here that way. Personally, I'd prefer a guy like Hue Jackson, and I wouldn't even rule out a wild card like current Alabama OC/QB's coach Doug Nussmeier, but I also wouldn't rule out Lane Kiffin. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out if/when Bevell gets his shot at a HC gig.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1i190d25 said:
I know this is a thread about Quinn, but on the Bevell topic, another name I wouldn't completely rule out is Lane Kiffin. As we all know, Kiffin and PC were together for nearly all of PC's years at USC, and Kiffin was PC's play-caller there in the late 2000's before going to the Raiders. Kiffin and Cable then worked together in Oakland while Kiffin called his own plays, and the Raiders actually had a pretty darn good rushing offense during that time, despite being an under-manned team overall. PC and Cable do - and would continue to have - a significant stamp on the offense overall regardless of who is in the OC/play-caller role, so I can't completely rule out Kiffin re-uniting with PC in that capacity, post-Bevell. For all of Kiffin's faults, he knows exactly what PC likes/wants in an offense, and I think he could succeed here that way. Personally, I'd prefer a guy like Hue Jackson, and I wouldn't even rule out a wild card like current Alabama OC/QB's coach Doug Nussmeier, but I also wouldn't rule out Lane Kiffin. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out if/when Bevell gets his shot at a HC gig.

Kiffin would be a possibility - I could even see him take on a position coach job with the team (Like WR or TE) with a coach he trusts. I do not think that Quinn will leave after only one year, but Bevell is a possibility this next off season. But I really believe that just as the players love playing here, that the same goes with the coaches. Anyone of the current staff who have been with other organizations probably really appreciate the atmosphere and culture. We are entering a long season of sustained success. The staff will likely know that they will have a number of opportunities in the years ahead - successful teams always have coaches hired off their staff. I could see Cable in particular not interested in just ANY job, but if the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, he can wait around for a premier job in the league.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I don't think we'd lose Dan Quinn this year. Maybe next year when he has demonstrated continued success. I do think Bevell is definitely a concern again, unfortunately.

47degreesn

Reaction score
Here's a question, can someone answer?

Salary cap only works for players right? Are coaches limited to a salary cap as well?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Working with Pete and Russell, if Bev leaves, Pete will have a line of men wanting in on what we got. I ain't worried too much. Still prefer to keep both gents for continuity.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Successful programs will always attract talented coaches, so I am not worried at all. As long as Pete and John are here, they will bring in the right people.

The Outfield

Reaction score
47degreesn":12ybma8q said:
Here's a question, can someone answer?

Salary cap only works for players right? Are coaches limited to a salary cap as well?

Coaches don't have a salary cap

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Read petes book , it's fairly short and outlines all this philosophy behind helping people be the best they can be weather that means mock interviews for coaches or trying to help his players make the most out of what they are. He isn't rah rah at all as opposed to being positive and reaching new goals and such.
Rw is his clone.
We couldn't be in better hands and now watch this off season as players take less money to come here again and again.
He looks for something special in a person and knows how to help them see it in themselves
Who wouldn't want to help somebody that goes out of his way to make your life and those around you better.
We are set for a good long run
Go Hawks

mikeak

Reaction score
^ well there is a different approach. You could be as good friends as Bellicheck and Rex Ryan :)

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":368vvdcz said:
NorthDallas40oz":368vvdcz said:

Kiffin would be a possibility - I could even see him take on a position coach job with the team (Like WR or TE) with a coach he trusts. I do not think that Quinn will leave after only one year, but Bevell is a possibility this next off season. But I really believe that just as the players love playing here, that the same goes with the coaches. Anyone of the current staff who have been with other organizations probably really appreciate the atmosphere and culture. We are entering a long season of sustained success. The staff will likely know that they will have a number of opportunities in the years ahead - successful teams always have coaches hired off their staff. I could see Cable in particular not interested in just ANY job, but if the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, he can wait around for a premier job in the league.

While I completely agree with the sentiment I don't agree with the practicality. Coaches who aspire to be HC's WANT to be HC's....they're not going to stay in place for another year out of some sense of loyalty or desire to "be a part of something" per se. If Bevell and/or Quinn get offered jobs after this season which represent the next step in their career evolution, they're gone. Helping the Seahawks win (another?) Super Bowl will be the least of their priorities. As an upwardly-mobile coach, you strike while the iron is hot, and let your agent lock you into that contract. The odds of either Bevell or Quinn, never mind both, being here next year are very slim. And that's a good thing. As the HC, it's PC's job to prepare for that, and have a plan in place. And I think he does. I think on defense it's Richard, and on offense it's someone from the outside who will ostensibly 'co-coordinate' with Cable, as Bevell is now. Regardless, I don't forsee any level of assistant coaching poaching compromising the long-term success that PC has in place for his program here.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Just getting a HC job offer doesn't mean you are going anywhere. while Pete was tearing up the country at USC, he received many HC job offers, year after year, which he turned down. It had to be the perfect job or it wasn't worth leaving.
He was less than successful in his other NFL jobs because he was just the coach. He said he wouldn't accept another NFL job unless he had total control so he could instal all of his goofy ideas. PA offered him the chance to completely run the show, including being involved in hiring a GM. Then he jumped in and put all of his wacky ideas in to play, and darned if they didn't seem to work out pretty well.. He didn't do so well with someone else calling the shots. He must have known something??
I'm sure part of his helping to advance other coaches careers, that is part of the lesson.