.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jfduukw said:
According to the article, (there are numerous quotes, including McDaniel...not just Sherman), the issue was Pete..

This.

We all saw the unraveling happening, and we all suspected it was because Pete lost control of the locker room buying into his "Kumbaya." All this article does is tell us why, the special treatment of Russell.

Coolest part of the article is Marshawn drinking an entire bottle of Cognac after the SB loss.

2_0_6

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ufib4ha2 said:
Hawknation,

That makes no sense.

We went to 2 SBs WITH Bevell but magically right afterwards, we could barely get past the wildcard games?

Something went down. .

Winning teams automatically have players that become in demand and sign free agent deals elsewhere. Winning is great, but you lose lots of depth and talent when you do so.

Cant keep everyone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That part on Lynch sealed it. I love Lynch.

Always will.

And I can totally envision him downing a bottle of Cognac while muttering profanity about our playcalling.

Damnit.

Pete Built It. I suppose it was his right to burn it down.

There is an amazing what could have been story that could be written.

This is now Wilson's team regardless. So Pete went all in on Wilson, hopefully he can win playoff games with him without the help of one of the best defenses out there. It isn't like we can unwind this, but it shows a lot of mistakes Pete made that derailed what could have been an All-Time Great team.

To argue the slide was injuries is laughable, we sucked before the injuries. The year after the 2nd SB we only made it past the wildcard game because the kicker blew a kick. This was little more than a wildcard team ever after that game.

It was always a mystery why, now we have some possible answers why.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The article seems sincere.

The article brings up many points that have been discussed here a lot.
In fact, I didn’t read anything that hasn’t been brought up here on .net even if was as speculation.

I was slightly surprised to read that Bennett and Sherman had a rift, and that Bennett stood up for Wilson. Actually I feel that Bennett was standing up for the QB more than the guy that is the QB.

The article is an interesting read, and I’d say worthy of the time it takes.

Even though we’ve discussed most of that stuff I actually felt twinges in my gut while reading it.

I’m confident though, at least somewhat that we are past those problems, and yes I call them problems.

Most startling QBs are afforded protection by the team. It’s the reason they wear a red shirt in practice. It’s understandable too me why that young group of guys may have taken issue with that scenario but I’d guess that it’s an understood thing with new guys coming in.

There is/was an era, that era is over.
Fear not, a “New Era” has begun.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The authors of this fake news each recently wrote puff pieces on John Elway and Sean McVay. They follow it up with a REALLY DUMB hit piece on the Seahawks right before the first game of the season.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Lots and lots of whining/venting from the defense. Blame everything and everyone else. We have read this before.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Stopped reading at
"What kept coming back up at Sherman’s wedding wasn’t the massive overhaul the Seahawks had made. What kept coming back up was why. "

Answer is simple. Age, salary, attitudes and injury.

What did they think they were ALL gonna play together until they were 40, while making millions and millions? :34853_doh:

The length of time C/S kept their core players together was amazing. It fell apart like EVERY team eventually falls apart.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I think Brock Huard is the broiest bro that ever bro'd in Brotown, he said this morning after Brock and Salk interviewed the author of this article that he relates to what Russell's going through not really fitting in with his teammates.

Remember, most of the team leaders, especially on the defensive side of the ball were self admitted "dogs." Meaning tough, from the streets, raw, real, and downright thuggish. Again, self admitted.

In comes a QB that came from an affluent area, didn't drink, talked about abstaining from sex before marriage. Russell was an odd dude to all these guys.

Brock said he went through some of the same stuff, being the coach's son, Christian, etc. all the way through college.

So when there's even a little favoritism, perceived or real? Combine that with one of the worst losses in SB history? How could the whole thing NOT implode?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":wn0eiac3 said:
Lots and lots of whining/venting from the defense. We have read this before.

But it's an opening for the haters.

None of the defense vs offense melodrama that some people want to obsess over had any impact on the field. It certainly had less demonstrable impact than injuries to Marshawn Lynch or Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman/Cliff Avril/Kam Chancellor.

It is funny to read that Michael Bennett of all people (a notorious defense-first, QB hater) was defending Russell Wilson against Richard Sherman in December 2016?

What happened later that month? Bennett would sign a massive contract extension. It's all about the money.

mrt144

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1av3qc33 said:
Lots and lots of whining/venting from the defense. Blame everything and everyone else. We have read this before.

Even if people are wrong in their perception, you still have to deal with them being on your team, or jettison them if they can't be helped.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The timing of SI's latest Hit Piece is interesting.

I appreciate all the "dogs" that used to be here and were part of one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history but it's memory now. I am curious why SI feels the need to keep revisiting the past and stirring the pot. What's the point? It's over. Done. OLD NEWS.

Let the new era begin!

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nn21v4m said:
As much as I think Brock Huard is the broiest bro that ever bro'd in Brotown, he said this morning after Brock and Salk interviewed the author of this article that he relates to what Russell's going through not really fitting in with his teammates.

Remember, most of the team leaders, especially on the defensive side of the ball were self admitted "dogs." Meaning tough, from the streets, raw, real, and downright thuggish. Again, self admitted.

In comes a QB that came from an affluent area, didn't drink, talked about abstaining from sex before marriage. Russell was an odd dude to all these guys.

Brock said he went through some of the same stuff, being the coach's son, Christian, etc. all the way through college.

So when there's even a little favoritism, perceived or real? Combine that with one of the worst losses in SB history? How could the whole thing NOT implode?

I would even posit that Pete shrouding Russell to some extent is due to wanting to foster a culture of relentless belief and positive attitude. If everyone is dogpiling on the one guy who tries to find sunshine in a hurricane that would subvert that. I'm not going to discount the perception of defensive players in the article and I will take the article mostly at face value. Guys feel what they feel sometimes and managing those feelings is part of the job.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Aros":1l3yezv6 said:

I appreciate all the "dogs" that used to be here and were part of one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history but it's memory now. I am curious why SI feels the need to keep revisiting the past and stirring the pot. What's the point? It's over. Done. OLD NEWS.

Let the new era begin!

100% it's intended to F with Russell Wilson's head.

getnasty

Reaction score
Man the team that drafted/brought them in, built them up, paid them and let them be themsevles and this is how you say thanks. At least if your gonna say something man up and do it publicly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1en2gin2 said:
Aros":1en2gin2 said:

Let the new era begin!

100% it's intended to F with Russell Wilson's head.

Most authors aren't this vindictive, but it is because the season's about the start and SI will get the most attention and clicks now..........as opposed to six months ago when they could have released it.

I think it helps us, this team and Pete have always thrived in being disrespected and having the world against us mentality.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
*Shrug*

That article was written (metaphorically) and sitting on an editors desk for years.

None of it is all that surprising, really. With as big a group of guys as it takes to put together a football team, there will always be a spectrum of personalities, from mature and accountable all the way to narcissistic and childish. Some of our biggest stars were the latter. That's tolerable (possibly even mildly beneficial) when guys are still making their names and team success is rising. They bask in the glory of dominance and success that is being built solely on their backs. Success is their magnificent creation.

Failure, on the other hand, is the domain of all the scrubs around them, trying to drag them back in to the mud. The more veteran this player becomes, the more it becomes his DUTY to call out the weak links all around him responsible for this mess.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3r1ym9zr said:
Hawknation,

That makes no sense.

We went to 2 SBs WITH Bevell but magically right afterwards, we could barely get past the wildcard games?

Something went down.

Yeah. Lynch.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The absolute lack of intelligence from some of our past players is Amazing. Really amazing.

So Russell is treated differently than the other players? Like EVERY OTHER young franchise QB? Seriously? Okay. Even when it came to Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, David Carr etc. etc., coaches care deeply about building up a young Quarterback's confidence

And then this entire narrative of "they wanted to give Russell Wilson the credit" is so incredibly sickening and brain dead. I've heard Stephen A Smith and others repeat this narrative and the stupidity of it drives me nuts. The play right BEFORE that, Marshawn Lynch ran for 4.5 yards and got STOPPED at the 0.5 yard line. So what you're telling me is Pete Carroll is so psychic, he knew Marshawn wouldn't get the touchdown? Maybe idk, he decided to run a play to try something different, based on perceived matchups?? :177692:

Whatever Dude. Over these egotistical crybabies. And they also pretend as if Russell's read option, mobility, and deep throw ability had nothing to do with enhancing Lynch's success. What did the team do when the offense was solely based on Lynch? Glad many of them are gone.