.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

DJrmb

Reaction score
A lot of grown men acting like petulant children... Just like anything I'm sure there's truth in a lot of the article however there's also skewed perspectives too. Don't really care what they think as they're no longer here and they're going to learn that every team makes mistakes.

The thing that pisses me off is that these losers will attack Pete, Russ, and JS, but only anonymously like a bunch of chumps. Put your name on it if you're a man and you actually believe what you're saying is 100% truth. Also that they waited until opening weekend to put this out is BS. Direct attack on a franchise. Hopefully it backfires on them and brings the '18 Seahawks even closer together!

MO Hawk

Reaction score
This is the first time the public has really seen what those of us here have been watching unfold and discussing the past 2 years. What this really all comes down to is 2 things:

1. If Pete successfully make this transition and does not have a winning season this year, BUT clearly has us headed in the right direction then all is good and the SI article is soon forgotten.

2. If we struggle with injuries and excuses all season long, have a contentious (in a public way) locker room, have a losing record and have our team not clearly headed in the right direction, then all the critics are vindicated and Pete and/or John are in trouble.

The attempt to right the ship has been made in the past 9 months, now we wait and see. I'm hoping for the best!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Aros":2nvbt2xh said:
The timing of SI's latest Hit Piece is interesting.

I appreciate all the "dogs" that used to be here and were part of one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history but it's memory now. I am curious why SI feels the need to keep revisiting the past and stirring the pot. What's the point? It's over. Done. OLD NEWS.

Let the new era begin!

I actually agree with you. The media loves a new narrative and team to root for, and this time their shiny new toy are the Niners with Jimmy G, and the Rams. They want to be done with the Seahawks, it helps their business. Idk, my family is in media so I don't think that's so farfetched. Everyone is predicting, as if hoping that the Seahawks really are going to suck. The new gambling factor in the NFL also makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes but I digress

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2v1yjp7i said:
And then this entire narrative of "they wanted to give Russell Wilson the credit" is so incredibly sickening and brain dead. I've heard Stephen A Smith and others repeat this narrative and the stupidity of it drives me nuts. The play right BEFORE that, Marshawn Lynch ran for 4.5 yards and got STOPPED at the 0.5 yard line. So what you're telling me is Pete Carroll is so psychic, he knew Marshawn wouldn't get the touchdown?

Thank you. Angry, jealous people (some of our old players) see what they want to see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2dvjyibm said:
The absolute lack of intelligence from some of our past players is Amazing. Really amazing.

So Russell is treated differently than the other players? Like EVERY OTHER young franchise QB? Seriously? Okay. Even when it came to Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, David Carr etc. etc., coaches care deeply about building up a young Quarterback's confidence

And then this entire narrative of "they wanted to give Russell Wilson the credit" is so incredibly sickening and brain dead. I've heard Stephen A Smith and others repeat this narrative and the stupidity of it drives me nuts. The play right BEFORE that, Marshawn Lynch ran for 4.5 yards and got STOPPED at the 0.5 yard line. So what you're telling me is Pete Carroll is so psychic, he knew Marshawn wouldn't get the touchdown? Maybe idk, he decided to run a play to try something different, based on perceived matchups?? :177692:

Whatever Dude. Over these egotistical crybabies. And they also pretend as if Russell's read option, mobility, and deep throw ability had nothing to do with enhancing Lynch's success. What did the team do when the offense was solely based on Lynch? Glad many of them are gone.

Hold on now.

I agree that just about every other franchise QB is treated differently, but this was not suppose to be like every other franchise.

That was Pete's mantra from day #1.

- compete
- open competition
- I let my players be themselves
- we're going to do things different
- all for one and one for all

On and on, and then when Russell isn't allowed to be criticized and is perceived to not have to be included in Pete's philosophical foundation? You can see where that would undermine his message, and cause the issues it caused.

BUT, I agree that doesn't excuse the downright divisive behavior we saw from some players the last couple of years. Team should always come first, no matter what your personal issues or complaints are. Guys like Wagner, KJ and Doug understand this.................and that's why they're still here, and the rest aren't.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Let me sum up the article for those that didnt read it.

Big ego'd defensive players jealous of superstar quarterback.

That's it and that's why those players are gone. They no longer bought into the system and management shipped them off. BTW, everything out of Sherman's mouth anymore is so negative. He has some maturity and humility issues for sure. I firmly believe he will be a nobody on an under performing defense for the rest of his career. Should have realized how good he had it when a coach like Pete builds a defense to individual strengths and your more than just a piece of it because that is what he will be now.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":t829aepq said:
The absolute lack of intelligence from some of our past players is Amazing. Really amazing.

So Russell is treated differently than the other players? Like EVERY OTHER young franchise QB? Seriously? Okay. Even when it came to Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, David Carr etc. etc., coaches care deeply about building up a young Quarterback's confidence

And then this entire narrative of "they wanted to give Russell Wilson the credit" is so incredibly sickening and brain dead. I've heard Stephen A Smith and others repeat this narrative and the stupidity of it drives me nuts. The play right BEFORE that, Marshawn Lynch ran for 4.5 yards and got STOPPED at the 0.5 yard line. So what you're telling me is Pete Carroll is so psychic, he knew Marshawn wouldn't get the touchdown? Maybe idk, he decided to run a play to try something different, based on perceived matchups?? :177692:

Whatever Dude. Over these egotistical crybabies. And they also pretend as if Russell's read option, mobility, and deep throw ability had nothing to do with enhancing Lynch's success. What did the team do when the offense was solely based on Lynch? Glad many of them are gone.

Dealing with wrong perceptions is part of being a HC. If you posit the players piping up were unreachable and there's nothing PC could have done to help then that's a lot of wrong perceptions to ride the back of for 2+ years.

TwilightError

Reaction score
So much bitterness and hipocracy. Easy to see there were many reasons to move on from many core players.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Brock and Salk were talking (a few days ago) about how they pretty much guaranteed Sherman would make some sort of release leading up to the game. I cannot believe they know him so well to be this accurate.

Even though this wasn't his article, his finger prints are all over it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Steve2222":uhqwl16f said:
The more I hear these guys whine, the more glad I am that they are no longer here. What a bunch of babies.

Wilson cannot be further from the issue. The issue was trading draft picks for auxiliary pieces that weren’t really needed (Harvin and Graham) while forfeiting a 1st round draft pick, 2nd round draft pick, and an All Pro center. This in turn left us dry when trying to resign guys like Tate, Mebane, and McDonald. Also factor in almost all the cap was dedicated to the defense, you were left with an elite defense and Wilson having to do everything on his own on offense.

I think this team will be miles better this year than they were last simply because you don’t have guys in the locker room who hate their QB and coaching staff for stupid reasons.

Couldn't agree with this more. I hated the Harvin trade, not necessarily because of the draft picks but because of the contract they gave him. That said, looking back on it I think the draft picks were a big deal too. So much money going to star players, they needed quality draft picks on cheap contracts and they just didn't have those.

adeltaY

Reaction score
There's not much new here compared to the Wickersham article last year. More specifics I guess, but the theme is exactly the same.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1trwlsio said:
hawknation2018":1trwlsio said:
Aros":1trwlsio said:
The timing of SI's latest Hit Piece is interesting.

I appreciate all the "dogs" that used to be here and were part of one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history but it's memory now. I am curious why SI feels the need to keep revisiting the past and stirring the pot. What's the point? It's over. Done. OLD NEWS.

Let the new era begin!

100% it's intended to F with Russell Wilson's head.

Most authors aren't this vindictive, but it is because the season's about the start and SI will get the most attention and clicks now..........as opposed to six months ago when they could have released it.

I think it helps us, this team and Pete have always thrived in being disrespected and having the world against us mentality.

Reporters rely on sources. A fluff piece there, a hit job here, gets you sources. They can also become heavily invested in a story they are writing, like the monumental fluff job on John Elway.

This is re-packaged ancient history that is essentially plagiarized from an equally-dumb article last year. The why is the interesting part.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pay the divas what they want and everything is great. Don't, and the Hawks have lost their way.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well, the 'big ego' defensive players are gone. Or most are.

Unfortunately, those were the ones responsible for the winning and were the ones propping up this team.

So if Wilson is going to produce, he is going to have to do it this year. 1 quarter per game is not going to cut it.

Though little of this issue was Wilson, most of it was Pete. More accurately, most of it was how Pete handled everything.

Pete did not address the concerns of the players that were carrying this team. That isn't just Sherman, much as the new narrative gets spun here. There were plenty of other quotes in that article and plenty of supporting details.

The other issue is that it does not matter if it was Sherman if it was true. The supporting details seem to indicate it is/was.

We drove off the guys that were upset. But many of those guys might have been upset for a legit reason. Now it is on Pete to assure that the people and system he enabled, at the expense of the people/system he drove off, are worth it.

Maybe it will be. I think we have all the pieces to be great. But there needs to be production by the offense now because we dismantled the great defense we had.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3p6v66pu said:
Unless you're going to contend that there's always 31 mediocre teams and one good one, and that the Patriots were mediocre from 2005-2013 purely because they didn't win a Super Bowl, then Seattle never hit mediocrity. They just lost the war of attrition. It ----ing happens..

People address problems on the team and often speak of potential fixes as automatic Super Bowl wins. That's not how it works. The 2007 Patriots are the poster child. The 2009 Patriots and 2010 Patriots couldn't win a playoff game (and the latter went 14-2). The greatest coach/QB combo of all time can't make it work most of the time even when things are going in their favor. No team can.

Everybody's all pissy over a play during a lost Super Bowl that the Seahawks really shouldn't have been in anyway. They just got really lucky and hot in that NFC Championship game. It wasn't just because they were good.

DJrmb

Reaction score
lukerguy":pb2h3yk1 said:
Brock and Salk were talking (a few days ago) about how they pretty much guaranteed Sherman would make some sort of release leading up to the game. I cannot believe they know him so well to be this accurate.

Even though this wasn't his article, his finger prints are all over it.
Yeah, Salk was saying just yesterday he guaranteed an article like this would come out this opening weekend. I fully believe this was 90% Sherman too, especially the suspect timing of the release. Sherman wined about the backlash from fans in an earlier article he put out on the Player's Tribune, talking about all he gave to the Seahawks and the fans and how he can't understand anyone being mad at him for going to SF... I could care less where he went to play, it's things like this that are what takes away from Sherman's legacy. Sherman is that guy in a divorce that goes out of his way to talk about how horrible his wife was because he can't stand the thought of her with anyone else and he never wants her to be happy without him...

TreeRon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3su30g3h said:
As much as I think Brock Huard is the broiest bro that ever bro'd in Brotown, he said this morning after Brock and Salk interviewed the author of this article that he relates to what Russell's going through not really fitting in with his teammates.

Remember, most of the team leaders, especially on the defensive side of the ball were self admitted "dogs." Meaning tough, from the streets, raw, real, and downright thuggish. Again, self admitted.

In comes a QB that came from an affluent area, didn't drink, talked about abstaining from sex before marriage. Russell was an odd dude to all these guys.

Brock said he went through some of the same stuff, being the coach's son, Christian, etc. all the way through college.

So when there's even a little favoritism, perceived or real? Combine that with one of the worst losses in SB history? How could the whole thing NOT implode?

You put this in a way I could not (or at least Brock did). Your second paragraph alludes to the fact that had Wilson NOT been black, there'd been less of a problem.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":er4ktfuf said:
We drove off the guys that were upset. But many of those guys might have been upset for a legit reason. Now it is on Pete to assure that the people and system he enabled, at the expense of the people/system he drove off, are worth it.

Welcome to the hater culture, where nobody has a legit gripe, they're just haters.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Damn after reading this article it seems like these disgruntled ex-Seahawks are still stuck in high school.