SI preseason Power Rankings

v1rotv2

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1eawev8l said:
So we're lower then Minnesota, Cincinnati and Kansas City with no Eric Berry and Houston still recovering from injury? Interesting to say the least.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I think it's more that they want those teams to be better than the Hawks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh you can bet that's on the bulletin board, GOOD, I hope everyone shits on us starting out the season, this team plays best disrespected.

dogorama

Reaction score
Arizona just signed Honey Badger to a 60 mil contract. This is a player coming off of his second ACL injury in three years. Is that really smart? After Ariens came out after we trounced them in week 17 and insinuated they weren't really trying I hate this team. I hope this SI article becomes good locker room fodder.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love it. This team really does seem to thrive on disrespect. More bulletin board material, here. :irishdrinkers:

kearly

Reaction score
Here's what the data-based Vegas linesmaker power rankings look like, for compare and contrast purposes:

1 New England
2 Seattle
3 Arizona
4 Carolina
5 Green Bay
6 Cincinnati
7 Denver
8 Kansas City
9 Pittsburgh
10 N.Y. Jets

kearly

Reaction score
dogorama":30pzsa7i said:
Arizona just signed Honey Badger to a 60 mil contract. This is a player coming off of his second ACL injury in three years. Is that really smart? After Ariens came out after we trounced them in week 17 and insinuated they weren't really trying I hate this team. I hope this SI article becomes good locker room fodder.

I get what you're saying, the risk is substantial, but they pretty much had to do it. Without Honey Badger that defense becomes toothless in a hurry.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think the top 4 are defensible, even if I would change the order a bit. I think Denver is too high with their qb issues but I wouldn't bump them down below any of the teams they have in the 6-8 positions. I would, however, bump the Seahawks and packers up into the top 6. I think put the Seahawks in the top 5 and just about any ordering of the top 5 would be justifiable.

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":1n4p51no said:

Its' really just a two year deal, with team options for 2018 and beyond. Its' pretty low risk.

Mick063

Reaction score
This may be the best Seattle team ever. What are those guys smoking?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I.So.Do.Not.Care.About.Power.Rankings.

I don't care if the Hawks are last or first in a "Power Ranking".

The only power ranking that counts is the one that ends with a team holding up that silver trophy after the final game.

Why should I care about what some no nothing dork's opinion about my team that he has probably not even seen play much is?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":14uiejvm said:
Here's what the data-based Vegas linesmaker power rankings look like, for compare and contrast purposes:

1 New England
2 Seattle
3 Arizona
4 Carolina
5 Green Bay
6 Cincinnati
7 Denver
8 Kansas City
9 Pittsburgh
10 N.Y. Jets
I'm good with the Seahawks at 5-6 so this is great. And obviously far more realistic. That list looks pretty spot on right down the line just as a bonus.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":2dea0x9q said:
dogorama":2dea0x9q said:

I get what you're saying, the risk is substantial, but they pretty much had to do it. Without Honey Badger that defense becomes toothless in a hurry.
You have a good point but seriously? Paid like a cornerback and also as fragile as peanut brittle. Risk is one level and stupid is a whole different higher level, you figure out which is which in this scenario. I figure it's the latter but rock on you crazy Redbirds.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
What did you want Arizona to do - not sign him? They had no choice. I'd be a little wary about longevity based on the injury history but you have to re-sign a player of that caliber.

Each new contract is the "highest ever", it doesn't mean much other than that is the market.

Regarding the power rankings, Arizona is getting waaayy too hyped. Ridiculous.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Archer":2vdi6apw said:
What did you want Arizona to do - not sign him? They had no choice. I'd be a little wary about longevity based on the injury history but you have to re-sign a player of that caliber.

Each new contract is the "highest ever", it doesn't mean much other than that is the market.

Sign him. That isn't the issue. The ridiculous amount is. He's not even the best guy at his position much like Peterson "I'm totally easy to torch" yet both are grossly overpaid with nobody actually even trying to raise the price. Just stupid.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":10qeitbl said:
Archer":10qeitbl said:

Sign him. That isn't the issue. The ridiculous amount is. He's not even the best guy at his position much like Peterson "I'm totally easy to torch" yet both are grossly overpaid with nobody actually even trying to raise the price. Just stupid.

For me, the stupidest part wasn't that they signed him, but that they actually guaranteed 40mil of the 60 mil contract. That is just crazy when someone has had two ACL's in the last three years. What part of negotiating leverage did Arizona fail to understand?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1d9u1p3n said:
I love it. This team really does seem to thrive on disrespect. More bulletin board material, here. :irishdrinkers:

:ditto: This is a great article. Would've been better if they left the hawks out of the top 10. Thank you SI!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Arizona are a classic Power ranking favourite.

We know they'll be good for most of the year. They'll get more than 10 wins. They have a media-popular coach who wears a funny hat and says outrageous and amusing things.

But at some point Carson Palmer's arm will go floppy again. Or he'll pop a knee. Or his hands will fall off.

And it'll unravel.

And that'll be that.

He's 37 this year and Larry Fitz is 33.