SI preseason Power Rankings

BlueTalon

Reaction score
dogorama":7js0hea0 said:
After Ariens came out after we trounced them in week 17 and insinuated they weren't really trying I hate this team.
In fairness, that wasn't quite what happened. Maybe a day before the game, or the morning of, Ariens said something about not resting the starters. He wanted to take the game seriously, not take it off, and the players felt the same way.

After the game, Ariens said something about being disappointed with the team in practices that week, and he planned to play the starters until they showed him something. And of course, they got their asses handed to them. Ariens was pissed with what he considered to be a substandard performance by his players, but he never said they weren't trying. If the Cards had really not tried in that game, they would have rested their starters and played their backups.

IIRC, the "not trying" stuff came afterward from Cards fans who were trying to rationalize how their team could have been so embarrassed.

dogorama

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1b24s9tc said:
dogorama":1b24s9tc said:
After Ariens came out after we trounced them in week 17 and insinuated they weren't really trying I hate this team.
In fairness, that wasn't quite what happened. Maybe a day before the game, or the morning of, Ariens said something about not resting the starters. He wanted to take the game seriously, not take it off, and the players felt the same way.

After the game, Ariens said something about being disappointed with the team in practices that week, and he planned to play the starters until they showed him something. And of course, they got their asses handed to them. Ariens was pissed with what he considered to be a substandard performance by his players, but he never said they weren't trying. If the Cards had really not tried in that game, they would have rested their starters and played their backups.

IIRC, the "not trying" stuff came afterward from Cards fans who were trying to rationalize how their team could have been so embarrassed.

Sorry, but it was more than that, when asked if he was playing coy he smiled and said something about not tipping his hand. The insinuation was very clear.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
IIRC Hawks were ranked 11th of the 12 playoff teams last year, and they were a blown chip shot away from losing in the WC round. They've also had more losses than gains this off season again (everyone has young guys and draft picks they're excited about; just talking retirement/fa losses v gains).

I absolutely think they'll finish higher than 10 (read that two more times before flaming) but to start the next year, I think 10 makes sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wdwqr6j said:
IIRC Hawks were ranked 11th of the 12 playoff teams last year, and they were a blown chip shot away from losing in the WC round. They've also had more losses than gains this off season again (everyone has young guys and draft picks they're excited about; just talking retirement/fa losses v gains).

I absolutely think they'll finish higher than 10 (read that two more times before flaming) but to start the next year, I think 10 makes sense.

It's where you lose players and when, we have been allowing players to leave when they are satisfied they have a viable replacement and or will get one in the draft. Why Okung wasn't fought for. Lynch retiring is the biggest question mark as far as the power run game, we drafted three players and retained Michael and have Rawls who proved he can play. Again when and where and the plan. This team doesn't put all their eggs in one basket either, they stack competition three deep many times and make them earn a spot and are patient over a few years to develop them.

As far as that blown chip shot, we came out of that game worse for wear, I would like to have seen any other team play there and win from the NFC and then come back and almost beat the Panthers the number 1 seed the next week. At least we won, we were actually in the playoffs, we made our bed and played the hand we dealt ourselves. Lesson learned by the players and staff, don't wait half a season to make corrections you know need to happen. Cary Williams and Nowack I think was the Center they swapped out and later cut took to long to make a decision on.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":2giowoyj said:
Here's what the data-based Vegas linesmaker power rankings look like, for compare and contrast purposes:

1 New England
2 Seattle
3 Arizona
4 Carolina
5 Green Bay
6 Cincinnati
7 Denver
8 Kansas City
9 Pittsburgh
10 N.Y. Jets

FAR more realistic.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":1jxmc8k0 said:
kearly":1jxmc8k0 said:
Here's what the data-based Vegas linesmaker power rankings look like, for compare and contrast purposes:

1 New England
2 Seattle
3 Arizona
4 Carolina
5 Green Bay
6 Cincinnati
7 Denver
8 Kansas City
9 Pittsburgh
10 N.Y. Jets

FAR more realistic.

Yeah, when money is involved things tend to get more real.

253hawk

Reaction score
The Panthers went 7-8-1 before heading into last season, and those 4 final wins were all against bad teams, none of which finished over .500. And 1/3 of their wins last year were by a single score that could have easily gone the other way, so 15-1 is a bit inflated IMO (especially considering the weak schedule). #19 wasn't too far off, other than the fact that they somehow still made the playoffs.

Top-anything lists are dumb and completely subjective. I guess it's kind of nice to see a little respect when it's due, but I couldn't care less if my favorite players or teams are ranked seemingly too low. Who cares? It's settled on the field, not on the internet by keyboard warriors.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^Most games come down to a single score. I don't think it's an insult to predict not winning 17 games, considering the short list of teams in league history that have won that many. I remain convinced the schedule is easier this year than last based on opponent QBs but we'll see how the ball bounces. If training camp videos mean anything (they don't), this guy's https://mobile.twitter.com/BlackBlueRev ... 8500068353 are more impressive than this guy's https://mobile.twitter.com/NoChiIlSport ... 4343063552

We do agree with one thing though-means nothing. Even Vegas had the Broncos favored in SB48.

Crizilla

Reaction score
So stupid. Makes no sense we are below cinci, KC, minny, and even pitt

no logical reasoning for it.