So let's talk about Russell Wilson

hawk45

Reaction score
Seemed like Teddy handled the cold much better than Wilson. Not that Bridgewater lit it up, but he looked more or less like himself. Wilson looked like a completely different player.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawk45":1amzjnlj said:
Seemed like Teddy handled the cold much better than Wilson. Not that Bridgewater lit it up, but he looked more or less like himself. Wilson looked like a completely different player.

Yeah, sort of got what they expected out of him I think.

camdawg

Reaction score
Laloosh":3eg3uf6o said:
Uncle Si":3eg3uf6o said:
He missed some throws and the play calling seemed limited at times

Not worried heading next week.

I'm not either, Si. Thought he looked pretty bad today. Was a topic of discussion between friends and I during the game. We were able to discuss it w/out getting upset with one another and I made the mistake of thinking it was possible here today.

My bad.

Ugh....no one's getting upset with you. They're disagreeing with you because of the obvious. While we'd all like Russell to be a bit sharper, you can't really judge him based on a game played in temperatures this cold.

Bart Starr and Don Meredith didn't exactly light it up in the Ice Bowl game. The early 80's Chargers, one of the most feared passing attacks in NFL history, looked pathetic in an AFC championship loss in Cincinnati.

I don't think you can judge anything about how Russ will do against Carolina, from this game. It was a crazy weather outlier.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Teddy passed for 125 yards, and Russel 129. Play calling was also a factor. Kept going for the deep ball and it just wasn't working. I think the Viking's game plan was better suited; quick short to intermediate passes. Dink and dunk. Both teams played great defensive football. The Vikings D is no joke.

As many have stated, it was fricken cold. This point seems to be getting brushed off as though it was barely a factor. I think it was huge.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MrThortan":3ihww8a6 said:
Teddy passed for 125 yards, and Russel 129. Play calling was also a factor. Kept going for the deep ball and it just wasn't working. I think the Viking's game plan was better suited; quick short to intermediate passes. Dink and dunk. Both teams played great defensive football. The Vikings D is no joke.

As many have stated, it was fricken cold. This point seems to be getting brushed off as though it was barely a factor. I think it was huge.

Won't be the last we see the dink and dunk either. No mistakes against the Seahawks is the game plan against us

hawk45

Reaction score
Russ dropped off way worse than Rodgers in last year's NFCC, and he dropped off worse than Bridgewater today.

He sticks with it and is gutsy but I'm at the point where whenever we go into any reasonably severe weather I expect him to struggle worse than the opposing QB relative to their sunny day ceiling.

davidonmi

Reaction score
He's a bad poor weather QB. And these conditions were extreme

Ozzy

Reaction score
I bang the Wilson drum as loud as anyone this side of Anthony! and I can say Wilson had a bad day. I don't think it was all weather related either. The line didn't have a good day and Wilson held on to the ball much too long. Bevell had a terrible opening script and overall approach as well.
That said I'm not worried the offense next week. I think this is a throw away and they will get back on track next week.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Laloosh":1xzclqse said:
SuperFreak":1xzclqse said:
Stayed calm on that LOL snap and set up a touchdown. Might not have been his A game but I don't think anyone in those temps is throwing for 500 yards and 7 TDs.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would/should. Decision making, accuracy, getting plays off. The answer for all of it is, "it was cold"? Okay.

1. You are obviously ignorant to the effects of extreme cold weather. It completely changes the game by negating most of a team's strengths. It's the coldest game the team has ever played in, by far. It's the third-coldest game in NFL history. Check the results for similar games. Case in point...Aaron Rodgers IN LAMBEAU, with similar weather, had amazingly similar numbers against the 49ers. The QB has to throw as if he intends to overthrow, which I'm CERTAIN couldn't be practiced in Seattle.

2. We WERE out coached/out prepared. If you read any Minnesota press, The Vikings consulted heavily with Bud Grant all week about playing in cold weather. Very smart on their part! Pete was hired as DB coach with the Vikings, AFTER they were already playing in the Metrodome. I don't think he fully appreciated the affects of cold weather, because he was largely ignorant to it. No excuse for that though. He shouldn't have just put it all on the equipment managers. I'm sure there are more elements to success in cold wx than equipment.

3. I can't believe you are starting a RW bash thread after a game in weather (temp) that is KNOWN to consistently create outliers for results. This baffles my mind, but, hey, you saw your opportunity and dove head first, eh? Way to sieze the moment.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3kyocs93 said:
Laloosh":3kyocs93 said:
SuperFreak":3kyocs93 said:
Stayed calm on that LOL snap and set up a touchdown. Might not have been his A game but I don't think anyone in those temps is throwing for 500 yards and 7 TDs.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would/should. Decision making, accuracy, getting plays off. The answer for all of it is, "it was cold"? Okay.

1. You are obviously ignorant to the effects of extreme cold weather. It completely changes the game by negating most of a team's strengths. It's the coldest game the team has ever played in, by far. It's the third-coldest game in NFL history. Check the results for similar games. Case in point...Aaron Rodgers IN LAMBEAU, with similar weather, had amazingly similar numbers against the 49ers. The QB has to throw as if he intends to overthrow, which I'm CERTAIN couldn't be practiced in Seattle.

2. We WERE out coached/out prepared. If you read any Minnesota press, The Vikings consulted heavily with Bud Grant all week about playing in cold weather. Very smart on their part! Pete was hired as DB coach with the Vikings, AFTER they were already playing in the Metrodome. I don't think he fully appreciated the affects of cold weather, because he was largely ignorant to it. No excuse for that though. He shouldn't have just put it all on the equipment managers. I'm sure there are more elements to success in cold wx than equipment.

3. I can't believe you are starting a RW bash thread after a game in weather (temp) that is KNOWN to consistently create outliers for results. This baffles my mind, but, hey, you saw your opportunity and dove head first, eh? Way to sieze the moment.

Yeah, that's my thing. Wilson bashing threads. Someone finally caught on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
He underthrew and overthrew numerous times today. As many have mentioned, he plays poorly in crap weather I'm afraid and today was not good pure and simple. Guessing that he'll start looking for ways to get better at least in rain and colder temps. Today is really not anything anyone can prepare for in terms of throwing the ball.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Laloosh":3l0jiv20 said:
SuperFreak":3l0jiv20 said:

Try slinging the football with accuracy and touch when you can't feel your own hands. I bet Russell wears gloves next time he has to play is sub 0. Teddy B did.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
JPatera76":34s3uaml said:
GeekHawk":34s3uaml said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.

Yeah when I was in the army, and In germany and Korea... And I honestly would rather roast my ass off being in iraq or Afghanistan than being as cold as I was those days during field training.

I've gotten heat exhaustion from humid and hot conditions with all my gear on. I've frozen my balls off in the rains, snow, and wind of Northern Iraq. I've been trapped under the brutal sun on a hot day in Southern Iraq, and even more brutal days in the Arabian Gulf (hottest I've ever seen). I froze my balls off in Fairbanks and hunting in Alaskan mountains in the winter.

I will gladly take a really, really hot day over a really really cold day. People say "you can always put on more clothes", but I've never been able to put on enough clothes and breathe and use my hands when it's actually really cold. And if I end up wet, there is no way I want to be cold.

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson played great, but I think that is down to a combination of things...

1: Cold weather and Wilson just didn't play a good game today. It happens. Not worried in the long run.

2: The Vikings played amazing defense and the whole city was into it to prove a point. Given our recent history PBQ (post-beast quake) I would have hoped we'd have been more alive to this. Regardless, we escaped and I'm not worried moving forward. This team plays better when doubted anyway.

3: The one that bothers me most. Is I think we changed our mentality on offense today, back to the first half of the season. We played safe "don't turn the ball over" and not to lose. I think we abandoned the attitude that essentially got us to the playoffs and I don't just mean on play calls (although that is a facet of it).

Wilson was hesitant where he's been decisive. Doubtful when he's been confident. I think this has come from Pete himself as ball control is what he preaches. Thing is I think it's having a stifling effect on Wilson and to a lesser extent Bevell. And we end up with a display like today.

I really hope I'm wrong and clearly I most likely am. But on the off chance I'm right, I really hope Pete can adapt once more and realise that just because we are here now doesn't mean he should abandon how we reached the playoffs in the second part of the season. If Pete can do this then I think we will be fine.

TL;DR - JUST LET WILSON PLAY

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":tcnw8803 said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
It was colder than **** out there today?

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1263rf2v said:
Laloosh":1263rf2v said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
It was colder than **** out there today?

lol, so I hear.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
ive skied in -9 degree temps.

Didnt bother me. I actually was sweating at times. When I did go really fast I got a brain freeze headache though.

But then again, I am superhuman.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1uknrk1h said:

Didnt bother me. I actually was sweating at times. When I did go really fast I got a brain freeze headache though.

Did you try to do something that requires accurate dexterity while not wearing gloves, like throwing a football or pulling a trigger? Maybe your superman hands work when it's really cold, but mine don't.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bmorepunk":zmepcj6k said:
Tech Worlds":zmepcj6k said:

Did you try to do something that requires accurate dexterity while not wearing gloves, like throwing a football or pulling a trigger? Maybe your superman hands work when it's really cold, but mine don't.

No, i dont ski without gloves on. silly.

Nobody spends time in very cold conditions without wearing gloves. That might lead to frostbite.

davidonmi

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2dmid8mw said:
JPatera76":2dmid8mw said:
GeekHawk":2dmid8mw said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.

Yeah when I was in the army, and In germany and Korea... And I honestly would rather roast my ass off being in iraq or Afghanistan than being as cold as I was those days during field training.

I've gotten heat exhaustion from humid and hot conditions with all my gear on. I've frozen my balls off in the rains, snow, and wind of Northern Iraq. I've been trapped under the brutal sun on a hot day in Southern Iraq, and even more brutal days in the Arabian Gulf (hottest I've ever seen). I froze my balls off in Fairbanks and hunting in Alaskan mountains in the winter.

I will gladly take a really, really hot day over a really really cold day. People say "you can always put on more clothes", but I've never been able to put on enough clothes and breathe and use my hands when it's actually really cold. And if I end up wet, there is no way I want to be cold.
Exactly, it's the hands. Gripping a ball with frozen hands has to b a nightmare

Latest posts