So... Maybe it was just the Falcons?

strohmin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2d2pyd7z said:
Do you understand the fact that offense and defense aren't just magically responsible in equal parts for a team's success? Some games, an offense might account for 60% of a win. Some games, 20%. It varies with every team. One thing that has been enormously consistent, however, is that our defense wins us games way more often than our offense.

Tell you what...Go look up how many games in the Russell Wilson era where the Seahawks defense held the opponent to below the league-average points per game number, then look at how many games our offense scored above the league-average points per game number.

Our defense has been way more responsible for our success than our offense has just like how the offense has been way more responsible for New England's success than their defense has in the Tom Brady era.

If that is the case, why isnt the offense playing ball control and TOP? They basically tried to play like they were a world champion offense capable of putting up 30 points a game and screwed our defense over many times with quick 3 and outs and dumb turnovers. In the case of New England, their defense complements their offense. I have no idea what the hell our offense does to help our defense.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Josea16":3pbp6teu said:
Carolina ...will get some good players no matter what. What happened to them this year is what almost always happens to the Superbowl loser. The Superbowl Curse is like death and taxes it is just a reality.

It certainly kept us out of the playoffs after losing #2! :lol: Oh, wait... :roll:

What happened to Carolina is what happens to every team that over-achieves by way of playing a last-place schedule, then starts thinking they're all good and stuff. Like what will happen to *allas next year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
strohmin":mzssersl said:
If that is the case, why isnt the offense playing ball control and TOP? They basically tried to play like they were a world champion offense capable of putting up 30 points a game and screwed our defense over many times with quick 3 and outs and dumb turnovers. In the case of New England, their defense complements their offense. I have no idea what the hell our offense does to help our defense.
You need a run game that is consistently very effective to play that way. Lynch was ours. Our offense very rarely helps our defense, yet our defense even this year helped our offense more than the other way around, and this was the worst defense in the Russell Wilson era.

onepicknick

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":rvy8h2rw said:
Do you understand the fact that offense and defense aren't just magically responsible in equal parts for a team's success? Some games, an offense might account for 60% of a win. Some games, 20%. It varies with every team. One thing that has been enormously consistent, however, is that our defense wins us games way more often than our offense.

Tell you what...Go look up how many games in the Russell Wilson era where the Seahawks defense held the opponent to below the league-average points per game number, then look at how many games our offense scored above the league-average points per game number.

Our defense has been way more responsible for our success than our offense has just like how the offense has been way more responsible for New England's success than their defense has in the Tom Brady era.

I would agree on the 2014 Hawks but you do remember the 2015 Hawks Where the Defense couldn't hold a lead if there life depended on it for some odd reason our offense was the one winning the games for us forth quarter leads just down the drain. Boy I was glad when the Jags wanted Gus, Now we have the same Defense and no Offense

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":33u2fco4 said:

Which, if you go back to what I just wrote, is the fulcrum of Pete's philosophy. And to that end, the majority of our resources are devoted to that side of the ball.

And this is where quite a few on here lose their way when assessing our offense. Simply, it's not asked to carry the team; it's asked to do its part. In fact, when we're doing crazy things on offense, like the counter pass from Doug to Russ, that indicates to me that the formula is out of balance and we're desperately pulling out all the stops to survive. It's a cool play, but it's risky and void of control, which Pete bases his foundation on.

I've always said Bevell is a good fit for these parameters. So you can take your who's responsible for the win percentage malarkey and throw it out the window, because it doesn't apply here. We win as a team with the idea being that each unit does their jobs. As I said, our track record shows that the collaboration of those parts has made us an elite team in the NFC this decade.

Josea16

Reaction score
GeekHawk":t2vvaan2 said:
Josea16":t2vvaan2 said:
Carolina ...will get some good players no matter what. What happened to them this year is what almost always happens to the Superbowl loser. The Superbowl Curse is like death and taxes it is just a reality.

It certainly kept us out of the playoffs after losing #2! :lol: Oh, wait... :roll:

What happened to Carolina is what happens to every team that over-achieves by way of playing a last-place schedule, then starts thinking they're all good and stuff. Like what will happen to *allas next year.
Ouch! I try to forget about Curry. I'm just of the opinion that the draft is deep where a lot of teams will be able to get some really good players especially teams that have a good talent base in place like Carolina or Seattle. And yes a 4th schedule is definitely a factor. Though both Atlanta and Dallas should be long term factors in the NFC but you never know.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
adeltaY":t05bwrke said:
Falcons offense is great but GB was absolutely decimated by injuries. They lost six players during this game alone and were playing a second year UDFA CB in man coverage against Julio. Lost 3/5 OL players, which led to Rodgers facing way more pressure than usual .... and they still looked far superior to the Hawks OL. Jordy and Davante Adams were playing hurt as well. Add the poor turnover luck, dropped passes, and you have almost no chance and certainly zero margin for error to even have a shot.

There just aren't/weren't any truly dominant defenses in this year's playoffs. The Giants got waxed @ Lambeau and the Seahawks got dismantled in ATL. Even if Denver made it, they probably would've got wrecked by NE. Houston had the best defense left, but Osweiler was so terrible it didn't matter.

BTW I've been reading around and GB fans are absolutely calling for Capers' head, as well as McCarthy's and Ted Thompson's.

As they should

Mccarthy and Caper are two of the most overrated coaches in the entire league

Capers has been the dc since 2009..in the playoffs

09- 51 points given up to Arz
11- 37 points given up to Giants
12- 45 points given up to SF
This year-44 points given up against ATL

How is this man not fired?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1yzhsesl said:
I've always said Bevell is a good fit for these parameters.So you can take your who's responsible for the win percentage malarkey and throw it out the window, because it doesn't apply here. We win as a team with the idea being that each unit does their jobs. As I said, our track record shows that the collaboration of those parts is better than every other team in the NFC this decade.
LOL. Bevell's not a good fit for anything we're doing here. He's got a MAJOR weakness that will affect him being an OC on literally every team in the NFL.

Also, I love how you call hard data that isn't even biased "malarkey." There is just no discussing something logically with some people. Unbelievable. It's not some biased statistic; our defense performs above average by any major statistic you care to measure by way more often than the offense does in the Pete Carroll era.

onepicknick":1yzhsesl said:
I would agree on the 2014 Hawks but you do remember the 2015 Hawks Where the Defense couldn't hold a lead if there life depended on it for some odd reason our offense was the one winning the games for us forth quarter leads just down the drain. Boy I was glad when the Jags wanted Gus, Now we have the same Defense and no Offense
Our defense was not as good in 2015, yeah; more feast-or-famine overall. Still good enough to be the #1 scoring defense in the league, however. Not in 2016, though; the Patriots defense allowed 42 fewer points than ours and we finished 3rd. Granted, the Patriots also faced a real murderer's row of QBs, lololol.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":kvsufw04 said:
Siouxhawk":kvsufw04 said:
I've always said Bevell is a good fit for these parameters.So you can take your who's responsible for the win percentage malarkey and throw it out the window, because it doesn't apply here. We win as a team with the idea being that each unit does their jobs. As I said, our track record shows that the collaboration of those parts is better than every other team in the NFC this decade.
LOL. Bevell's not a good fit for anything we're doing here. He's got a MAJOR weakness that will affect him being an OC on literally every team in the NFL.

Also, I love how you call hard data that isn't even biased "malarkey." There is just no discussing something logically with some people. Unbelievable. It's not some biased statistic; our defense performs above average by any major statistic you care to measure by way more often than the offense does in the Pete Carroll era.

onepicknick":kvsufw04 said:
Our defense was not as good in 2015, yeah; more feast-or-famine overall. Still good enough to be the #1 scoring defense in the league, however. Not in 2016, though; the Patriots defense allowed 42 fewer points than ours and we finished 3rd. Granted, the Patriots also faced a real murderer's row of QBs, lololol.
And this is why Pete answered a reporter's question regarding Bevell detractors by stating: "They don't know what they are talking about."

He might as well have been talking to you directly, Roland. These are the best years this franchise has enjoyed and it's really quite sad that you're having difficulties enjoying it. I couldn't be prouder of this team and know deep down that I will truly miss it when this era passes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our offense is a joke.

And in the playoffs, against a team that can score, with a defense that was hobbled - we had no chance.

Because the guy calling the shots on offense cannot be counted on, unless you are counting on him being substandard.

We have good players but we have a guy that doesn't keep his job because he is better but because his coach feels some misguided loyalty to him even though he consistently gets outcoached by the opposition regularly.

As long as that clown is at the head of the offense, we will always fall short. Eventually it will dawn on someone with the clout to make the change, but until then we are just going to be stuck with them falling short. Year after year.

RussB

Reaction score
Yes falcons are good. But seahawks still arent better. They still need to uprade o line, get an interior pass rusher and depth in the secondary. They are supoosed to beat the falcons if they want to be the best, and they didnt beat them because falcons were the better team, just like they were the better team than the packers today.

To get over the hump seahawks need to improve their weaknesses or get bounced in the second round again.

RussB

Reaction score
Soem of you honestly need to wake up and realize seahawks arent as good as they used be be in 13-14, thats why they cant get back to another superb owl. Its gonna take some offseason work and coaching changes to get back. Hawks have lost 2 years in a row now because they arent superior to the best teams anymore like they used to be. And they also have a horrendous offense which was exposed multiple times the past 2 years.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
As I said, some people feel the need for a scapegoat to cope with their deflated feelings of gratification due to overinflated expectations of reality.

But suffice to say our head coach understands all the nuances of a successful team and wisely chooses his staff accordingly. His words at his year-end presser echoed that brilliantly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":11add8du said:
As I said, some people feel the need for a scapegoat to cope with their deflated feelings of gratification due to overinflated expectations of reality.

But suffice to say our head coach understands all the nuances of a successful team and wisely chooses his staff accordingly. His words at his year-end presser echoed that brilliantly.

Who's the better OC, Bevell or Shanahan ?

Since Quinn is using Petes Philosophy in Atlanta.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2awebwl2 said:
Siouxhawk":2awebwl2 said:

Obviously things clicked for Shanahan and the Falcons this year. Look at Shanahan's body of work, though. It loses its luster when compared to Bevell's career.

And I'm not running Shanahan down. He obviously found a nice fit with Quinn, Ryan and Julio. They also had a pretty nice line allowing them to do their work.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1k3sks21 said:
He might as well have been talking to you directly, Roland. These are the best years this franchise has enjoyed and it's really quite sad that you're having difficulties enjoying it. I couldn't be prouder of this team and know deep down that I will truly miss it when this era passes.
You obviously don't understand the fact that Pete is tremendously loyal to his staff and never, ever, ever says anything bad about them, even when he fires them. Loyal to a fault is the very definition of him, at this point. Believe what you want.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":se7en45j said:
chris98251":se7en45j said:
Siouxhawk":se7en45j said:

Obviously things clicked for Shanahan and the Falcons this year. Look at Shanahan's body of work, though. It loses its luster when compared to Bevell's career.

And I'm not running Shanahan down. He obviously found a nice fit with Quinn, Ryan and Julio. They also had a pretty nice line allowing them to do their work.

Are you doing that thing where you compare offensive coordinators by team records? Try comparing offensive stats. Take into account the players too. Bevell is not on Shanahan's level. 5 years with the Hawks and we can't execute a rb screen or a quick slant. The only innovation we have really seen was the read option, if you can call it that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sdog1981":2vlxl4w7 said:
Also, it looks like Dom Capers owns Bevell. The Falcons just carved Capers defense. It will be interesting to see what Shannahan can do aginst the Pats.

I don't know about Bevell, but he sure is in Russell Wilson's head. I'm fairly confident in saying that Bevell's game plan doesn't involve the QB throwing multiple picks every game.

Call a spade a spade....Wilson just plays like ass against the Packers. I can't think of one truly good game against them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Falcons were a very good team all year. Dan Quinn has done an incredible job.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
sdog1981":u7nehkvt said:
Also, it looks like Dom Capers owns Bevell. The Falcons just carved Capers defense. It will be interesting to see what Shannahan can do aginst the Pats.

Capers definitely owns Bevell. Look at our scores against them the last few years. If it wasn't for the miracle NFC Championship comeback they would have smoked us 3 times in a row.