So... Maybe it was just the Falcons?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2da5xu03 said:
Siouxhawk":2da5xu03 said:
He might as well have been talking to you directly, Roland. These are the best years this franchise has enjoyed and it's really quite sad that you're having difficulties enjoying it. I couldn't be prouder of this team and know deep down that I will truly miss it when this era passes.
You obviously don't understand the fact that Pete is tremendously loyal to his staff and never, ever, ever says anything bad about them, even when he fires them. Loyal to a fault is the very definition of him, at this point. Believe what you want.
No, I don't believe "loyal to a fault" at all. I believe it's a narrative that those who don't understand cling to. In the high-stakes world of the NFL, no coach is going to lean on someone who could potentially bring down their career. It's a ridiculous assumption that actually besmirches the intelligence of Pete, who has forgotten more about football than we will ever learn.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Josea16":11j11kil said:
I just don't buy into Atlanta yet. New England is a whole different beast then what Atlanta faced this year especially with two weeks of preparation time.

It's cool... nobody has been buying into Atlanta all season and we're in the Super Bowl. Atlanta is a whole different beast than New England faced this year.

Anyone seen the murderer's row of QB's their #1 ranked scoring D faced?

Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 Tyrod Taylor x2 Tannehill/Moore x2 Brock Osweiler x2 Trevor Siemian Andy Dalton Joe Flacco Bryce Petty Jared Goff Colin Kaepernick Carson Palmer

The best QB they faced was Wilson and they lost that game. Ben yesterday was the first decent QB they've faced since the Seattle game... We'll find out in 2 weeks how good the Patriot D is... Matt Ryan and the Falcons are just a bit better than Fitzpatrick and Osweiler.

I've got all the respect in the world for Brady and Belichick but lets not pretend their D is the 2nd coming of the 2013 Seahawks. Their stats are severely inflated by a schedule full of weak QBs with weak offenses.

This isn't homerism... it's right there in black and white. If New England shuts us down I'll tip my cap. I don't see it happening though. Atlanta was in every game this year... the 5 losses were by 1,2,3,7 and 9 points and they scored on some of the top defenses in the league. Atlanta hasn't played New England since 2013 when like 48 of our current 53 man roster weren't even on the team... which makes this Super Bowl matchup that more exciting.

Quinn and Shanahan have 2 weeks to prepare as well... I like our chances.

randomation

Reaction score
Why are falcons fans still posting here griping about how people think the NFC was weak this year? The Packer's moved the ball at will when the receivers weren't straight up dropping passes that is with their team by all accounts not just ravaged by injury but a large chunk of them sick. Either way shouldn't Falcons fans be celebrating going to the super bowl and ranting on the Pats forums about how their team is the greatest ever?

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1g3915zu said:
RolandDeschain":1g3915zu said:
Siouxhawk":1g3915zu said:
He might as well have been talking to you directly, Roland. These are the best years this franchise has enjoyed and it's really quite sad that you're having difficulties enjoying it. I couldn't be prouder of this team and know deep down that I will truly miss it when this era passes.
You obviously don't understand the fact that Pete is tremendously loyal to his staff and never, ever, ever says anything bad about them, even when he fires them. Loyal to a fault is the very definition of him, at this point. Believe what you want.
No, I don't believe "loyal to a fault" at all. I believe it's a narrative that those who don't understand cling to. In the high-stakes world of the NFL, no coach is going to lean on someone who could potentially bring down their career. It's a ridiculous assumption that actually besmirches the intelligence of Pete, who has forgotten more about football than we will ever learn.

Coaches aren't infallible. They make mistakes, have weaknesses, and have cognitive biases. Hopefully the coaching staff is more self aware of this than you are.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":28d9fxp2 said:
Siouxhawk":28d9fxp2 said:
RolandDeschain":28d9fxp2 said:
Siouxhawk":28d9fxp2 said:

Coaches aren't infallible. They make mistakes, have weaknesses, and have cognitive biases. Hopefully the coaching staff is more self aware of this than you are.
I'm certain they are more aware of the makeup of their organization and staff than either you or me.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3aj6dla4 said:
I'm certain they are more aware of the makeup of their organization and staff than either you or me.

And this is why we're trying to have a conversation you are incapable of having.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":w1001mzr said:
Siouxhawk":w1001mzr said:

And this is why we're trying to have a conversation you are incapable of having.
I'm just replying to your basic assumption with another basic assumption.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1s5xddnn said:
sdog1981":1s5xddnn said:
Also, it looks like Dom Capers owns Bevell. The Falcons just carved Capers defense. It will be interesting to see what Shannahan can do aginst the Pats.
Everybody owns Bevell. Show me one defensive coordinator Bevell has consistently outsmarted; and teams that are perennially terrible don't count, for obvious reasons.

Siouxhawk":1s5xddnn said:
Five straight double-digit win seasons would suggest different.
There you go confusing correlation with causation again. If our defense was league-average throughout the Russell Wilson era, we'd probably have one playoff appearance in that time.
So, hmm, Marshawn Lynch didn't have anything to do with helping Wilson & the Seahawks Offense one iota??

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29p1xwz0 said:
chris98251":29p1xwz0 said:
Siouxhawk":29p1xwz0 said:
As I said, some people feel the need for a scapegoat to cope with their deflated feelings of gratification due to overinflated expectations of reality.

But suffice to say our head coach understands all the nuances of a successful team and wisely chooses his staff accordingly. His words at his year-end presser echoed that brilliantly.

Who's the better OC, Bevell or Shanahan ?

Since Quinn is using Petes Philosophy in Atlanta.
Obviously things clicked for Shanahan and the Falcons this year. Look at Shanahan's body of work, though. It loses its luster when compared to Bevell's career.

And I'm not running Shanahan down. He obviously found a nice fit with Quinn, Ryan and Julio. They also had a pretty nice line allowing them to do their work.

This is exactly why it's useless having this discussion with Sioux. You will not even get a straight answer out of the simplest of questions.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1uj0fz1p said:
Siouxhawk":1uj0fz1p said:
chris98251":1uj0fz1p said:
Siouxhawk":1uj0fz1p said:
As I said, some people feel the need for a scapegoat to cope with their deflated feelings of gratification due to overinflated expectations of reality.

But suffice to say our head coach understands all the nuances of a successful team and wisely chooses his staff accordingly. His words at his year-end presser echoed that brilliantly.

Obviously things clicked for Shanahan and the Falcons this year. Look at Shanahan's body of work, though. It loses its luster when compared to Bevell's career.

And I'm not running Shanahan down. He obviously found a nice fit with Quinn, Ryan and Julio. They also had a pretty nice line allowing them to do their work.

This is exactly why it's useless having this discussion with Sioux. You will not even get a straight answer out of the simplest of questions.
Because the "who's better" question is an exercise in futility. Just too many variables.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1883olvr said:
Our offense is a joke.

And in the playoffs, against a team that can score, with a defense that was hobbled - we had no chance.

Because the guy calling the shots on offense cannot be counted on, unless you are counting on him being substandard.

We have good players but we have a guy that doesn't keep his job because he is better but because his coach feels some misguided loyalty to him even though he consistently gets outcoached by the opposition regularly.

As long as that clown is at the head of the offense, we will always fall short. Eventually it will dawn on someone with the clout to make the change, but until then we are just going to be stuck with them falling short. Year after year.

There you go again, DISMISSING the fact that it's been Darryl Bevell that's been "Hobbled", he's the one that had to TRY and scheme plays while using a shit-the-bed O-Line, and on top of that, he had NO Marshawn Lynch to HELP in keeping Defenses honest.
Pete Carroll was exactly right when he said that, some people don't know what the hell they're talking about.
->Darryl Bevell <-was THERE when we got our first Lombardi win, and make no mistake, it was the injuries to our kick ass Defense that couldn't stop Tom Brady from mounting a 10 point comeback, and THAT is why we didn't come home with our second Lombardi.
People are pissed off with JG being misused in the Offensive scheme, but when you have your Franchise Quarterback being pummeled for lack of protection, you have to do something to slow down the multiple stampedes, AND, Jimmy Graham isn't the first TE to be SUCCESSFULLY used in that way by the Seahawks, and I doubt that he'll be the last.

Largent80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2by8n7t6 said:
TwistedHusky":2by8n7t6 said:
Our offense is a joke.

And in the playoffs, against a team that can score, with a defense that was hobbled - we had no chance.

Because the guy calling the shots on offense cannot be counted on, unless you are counting on him being substandard.

We have good players but we have a guy that doesn't keep his job because he is better but because his coach feels some misguided loyalty to him even though he consistently gets outcoached by the opposition regularly.

As long as that clown is at the head of the offense, we will always fall short. Eventually it will dawn on someone with the clout to make the change, but until then we are just going to be stuck with them falling short. Year after year.

There you go again, DISMISSING the fact that it's been Darryl Bevell that's been "Hobbled", he's the one that had to TRY and scheme plays while using a shit-the-bed O-Line, and on top of that, he had NO Marshawn Lynch to HELP in keeping Defenses honest.
Pete Carroll was exactly right when he said that, some people don't know what the hell they're talking about.
->Darryl Bevell <-was THERE when we got our first Lombardi win, and make no mistake, it was the injuries to our kick ass Defense that couldn't stop Tom Brady from mounting a 10 point comeback, and THAT is why we didn't come home with our second Lombardi.
People are pissed off with JG being misused in the Offensive scheme, but when you have your Franchise Quarterback being pummeled for lack of protection, you have to do something to slow down the multiple stampedes, AND, Jimmy Graham isn't the first TE to be SUCCESSFULLY used in that way by the Seahawks, and I doubt that he'll be the last.

Excellent post Scutter and spot on.

ivotuk

Reaction score
randomation":2bg06ynv said:
Why are falcons fans still posting here griping about how people think the NFC was weak this year? The Packer's moved the ball at will when the receivers weren't straight up dropping passes that is with their team by all accounts not just ravaged by injury but a large chunk of them sick. Either way shouldn't Falcons fans be celebrating going to the super bowl and ranting on the Pats forums about how their team is the greatest ever?

As long as they post within the rules, they are more than welcome here. Their team has one of our former coaches, and I hope that he trounces the Pats.

And I do believe it was the Falcons #1 offense that beat us this year. That wasn't an "old Man Peyton" leading that team, it was a young MVP in Matt Ryan with a beast of a receiver in Julio Jones. Kyle Shanahan is pretty damn good too. But I don't think he's going to have much success in SF.

Mike McCarthy after the game "We ran in to a buzzsaw."

We'll be better prepared next year with Earl back. We need to get the Boom back in the Legion of Boom.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Seymour":uu43xles said:
Siouxhawk":uu43xles said:
chris98251":uu43xles said:
Siouxhawk":uu43xles said:

Have to say this board is getting frustrating with every thread devolving into Bevell squabbles. I don't know if Sioux or Roland are right about him, I can't honestly say I care anymore. Why not keep this stuff in the Bevell threads?

Largent80

Reaction score
This is the Falcons year and not ours. It's really pretty simple. they put that roster together while we were winning and competing in superbowls.

In that time, we were winning, and competing in superbowls. We have paid the price for that with pieces leaving, salary cap, and also injuries. It's a crap shoot to win a superbowl even with everything in alignment.

So why freak out?....Big deal, the Falcons have a young team of hungry players. Sound familiar?

We DON'T now. That core is so different than when we won. It's going to take luck and a hell of a lot of good play for us to get back to the SB, even with this group.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Re: "Have to say this board is getting frustrating with every thread devolving into Bevell squabbles. I don't know if Sioux or Roland are right about him, I can't honestly say I care anymore. Why not keep this stuff in the Bevell threads?"

Amen. We already know where RD and these other posters stand on the OC criticism and so the endless repetition is not only 'frustrating' - it is booooooriiiing.

About the best comparison (boring) is the endless diatribe by Salk on B&S lately, him going all Judge Judy on Sherman - not just a couple times but endlessly.

We need fresh air! :)

Josea16

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1rk9pfdv said:
Re: "Have to say this board is getting frustrating with every thread devolving into Bevell squabbles. I don't know if Sioux or Roland are right about him, I can't honestly say I care anymore. Why not keep this stuff in the Bevell threads?"

Amen. We already know where RD and these other posters stand on the OC criticism and so the endless repetition is not only 'frustrating' - it is booooooriiiing.

About the best comparison (boring) is the endless diatribe by Salk on B&S lately, him going all Judge Judy on Sherman - not just a couple times but endlessly.

Agreed, especially since Bevell isn't leaving until Pete is gone. On the otherhand any OC will look like a genius with what Atlanta has on offense even someone run of mlll like Shanahan. While any OC that can go 10-5-1 with our current OL is neither bad or average. They may not be a genius but they aren't the opposite.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Josea16":d6uw6zli said:
LeftHandSmoke":d6uw6zli said:

Agreed, especially since Bevell isn't leaving until Pete is gone. On the otherhand any OC will look like a genius with what Atlanta has on offense even someone run of mlll like Shanahan. While any OC that can go 10-5-1 with our current OL is neither bad or average. They may not be a genius but they aren't the opposite.
I do somewhat sympathize with the idea that JFG could be a lot more effective but also think that with a healthy receiving corps of ADB, TL, PRich, plus our RB's, then Jimmy could be an even bigger factor this year in scoring range.

Looking forward to still beating the 49ers, and with Shanahan.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1sfiivjl said:
This is the Falcons year and not ours. It's really pretty simple. they put that roster together while we were winning and competing in superbowls.

In that time, we were winning, and competing in superbowls. We have paid the price for that with pieces leaving, salary cap, and also injuries. It's a crap shoot to win a superbowl even with everything in alignment.

So why freak out?....Big deal, the Falcons have a young team of hungry players. Sound familiar?

We DON'T now. That core is so different than when we won. It's going to take luck and a hell of a lot of good play for us to get back to the SB, even with this group.

Overall I agree, but the offense is full of very good veteran players.. and very unappreciated veteran players. Matt Ryan has been a Top 10 QB since his rookie year. Julio Jones is an animal. They added some great pieces to that OL (god I wish we had Alex Mack) and found the perfect complementary players to fit in around them.

The defense is the real story though when it comes to Atlanta. They still give up yards, but they make plays when they count. They have a very Dan Quinn vibe to them and they're only going to improve.

Carolina wasn't the team we should be looking out for in 2017, 2018, 2019, etc. It's Atlanta.

As far as our own group. This group is fine. We have holes, as does every team in the league, but luck wasn't on our side. I think that's the key theme here.. look at what happened to get Atlanta to this place. They're a tremendous team, but they also caught some breaks (namely us punting away the 2 seed and losing Lockett and Thomas along the way, running into a Packers team that was banged the hell up and avoiding Dallas, having the NFC South be relatively down, being very healthy all things considered and on and on.)

You need to be really good to win championships in this league and you need to be really lucky too. The Falcons have been both.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29vvcc6h said:
Carolina wasn't the team we should be looking out for in 2017, 2018, 2019, etc. It's Atlanta.

I wonder about this. The Panthers have a fantastic DL and LBs and their young corners are actually pretty good, especially Bradberry. If they fix their OL and get Cam another receiver, they could shoot right back up to dominance. Then there's the Bucs, who have a really good young QB and stud WR to build around. Who really knows, I guess. Maybe the Falcons will fade into mediocrity next year and some other random team will rise up (heh) to replace them as the NFC's shooting star.

I'm just glad we'll be right back there and have been in it in at least some capacity these past several years.