So What Do We Do About This Defense?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, Jamal has been a wonderful gift and has seemed to give life back to our defense that we haven't seen since Kam and Earl and Richard were in their heyday...Our DL is still a mess. Zero pass pressure. Anytime you give Cam Newton the opportunity to throw nearly 400 yards is a problem.

Irvin went out early with an injury so that probably had some effect, but other than that I just think we stink at DL. Talk me off the ledge here.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Griffin, Matthews, and pray for Quinn.

Not sure we can do anything else. We are the worst defense in the NFL.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":3p8ucqq2 said:
Yes, Jamal has been a wonderful gift and has seemed to give life back to our defense that we haven't seen since Kam and Earl and Richard were in their heyday...Our DL is still a mess. Zero pass pressure. Anytime you give Cam Newton the opportunity to throw nearly 400 yards is a problem.

Irvin went out early with an injury so that probably had some effect, but other than that I just think we stink at DL. Talk me off the ledge here.

I dont believe you believe that Aros...

LTH

CPHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":259i9k58 said:

I don't know about that. So far every QB seems to be putting up insane stats on a weekly basis around the NFL. That might be a product of no pre season to be honest. Lets judge this D after week 5.

I also wonder if Jacksonville or Houston have a DL they would part with, for a mid round pick. Not a superstar, bit a solid player, to help us out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
To be fair, we are not the worst. But we are easily, easily bottom-five.

If Dak does this to us, it only cements what we are seeing right now.

The interesting thing is this is after a win. What happens when Wilson scores 33 and we lose?

This place is going to go crazy.

mistaowen

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1g04gj1f said:
To be fair, we are not the worst. But we are easily, easily bottom-five.

If Dak does this to us, it only cements what we are seeing right now.

The interesting thing is this is after a win. What happens when Wilson scores 33 and we lose?

This place is going to go crazy.

I mean, given it's unlikely much will change between this week and next Dak will certainly put up some big numbers. They have 3 very solid WR's and a top 5 run game, Jamal will need to be everywhere next week. Dak only struggles when the defensive line flusters him, which as we've seen for 2 weeks against lesser OL's will not be the case. Will come down to what they do within the red zone, if they can limit them to FG's and not all TD's.

We somehow have gone full KC model with an awesome high flying offense and a defense that might still lose the game if the offense scores 35 points.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bring in as many D-line free agent visits as we can, what else is there.

The is the best offense we've had in Pete's tenure, and if we don't get back to a SB because Pete and John failed to address the BIGGEST GLARING NEED THAT THEY'VE KNEW ABOUT BEFORE THE DRAFT, then I'm going to be one pissed off Hawk fan.

No excuses for how bad this D-line is. They knew it, thought they could band-aid it together with midling free agents and unproven draft picks......and so far it's backfired, and even been worse than we thought.

Matthews, Harrison, Sheard, McCoy, Wake.......hell, bring back Mikey B. Idk, but we don't just need one D-lineman, we need multiple, especially if Irvin's out for any time at all.

lukerguy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":q9ewtht4 said:

Yep. Hope the Falcons fire Quinn.

I don't know about Quinn, he sure hasn't done much with that squad on D.

The solution is of course improving the pass rush but that costs-a-lotta to get guys who can make a difference and who are healthy and can stay healthy.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":2jo5e5h1 said:

OK... gosh dang Ill bite...

The Hawks could have signed JC but they thought they would have gotten better production out of #33 for over all play... Good choice in my opinion because obviously they felt that JC was not worth the money or they would have pulled the trigger...

Obviously they think that any of the FA were not going to improve over what they have, Hoping that in the progression of the season they are going to be able to coach up the young guys enough , along with the production from the secondary and Blitz packages, to have just enough to compete for the SB with the outstanding play of Wilson and the O...

But the thing that could blow it all up is injuries... if they lose Irvin or #33... if they stay healthy they are going to be fine.. might see some close games again but it will be good enough...

we just have to be patient and let the young guys develop lets see where we are in 5 weeks..

Just my take

LTH

Teahawks

Reaction score
Trade Hollister and a 3rd to someone. Bring up the practice squad guys. Sign guys off the street. That's all I got.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Griffen was cheap. (relatively)

There was no excuse not at least driving up the price, considering Dallas had very little cap room.

Let's not pretend the Seahawks had to all or nothing on Clowney.

We clearly miss Clowney but there were other options we let slip past us, not sure why.

We also sent a potential pass rusher to the practice squad. That tells me that they had no idea they were going to be this inept. Or Carroll's nonsensical obsession with stopping the run - he focused more on that than a barely there pass rush.
It is probably the former more than the latter though.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z89dynl said:
No excuses for how bad this D-line is. They knew it, thought they could band-aid it together with midling free agents and unproven draft picks......and so far it's backfired, and even been worse than we thought.

This is what scares me. The DL reallly is as bad as we feared. Ugh. So Russ has to have a MVP season just to mask the truth of our deficiencies on D. We will win despite this horrible DL only because of Russell Wilson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":3dwtrkx5 said:
Aros":3dwtrkx5 said:

The Hawks could have signed JC but they thought they would have gotten better production out of #33 for over all play... Good choice in my opinion because obviously they felt that JC was not worth the money or they would have pulled the trigger...

Obviously they think that any of the FA were not going to improve over what they have, Hoping that in the progression of the season they are going to be able to coach up the young guys enough , along with the production from the secondary and Blitz packages, to have just enough to compete for the SB with the outstanding play of Wilson and the O...

But the thing that could blow it all up is injuries... if they lose Irvin or #33... if they stay healthy they are going to be fine.. might see some close games again but it will be good enough...

we just have to be patient and let the young guys develop lets see where we are in 5 weeks..

Just my take

LTH

The Adams trade had nothing to do with Clowney. Adam's cap hit this year is only 3.5M.........and if you brought in a safety to bulk up your D-line and pass rush? Then that's insane.

We didn't sign Clowney because he was only coming back here for MUCH more than he was getting elsewhere because he didn't want another season of being double and triple teamed heading into free agency next year with only one sack again.

Pete and John didn't want to pay him that much, which rightly so. But Plan B shouldn't have been "lets get a couple mid-level DE's and trust them with a couple 1st and 2nd year guys.............AND we're still bad at DT, Reed hasn't done anything.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1srihcd4 said:
Griffen was cheap. (relatively)

There was no excuse not at least driving up the price, considering Dallas had very little cap room.

Let's not pretend the Seahawks had to all or nothing on Clowney.

We clearly miss Clowney but there were other options we let slip past us, not sure why.

Maybe the Hawks feel any of the FA available are not going to be better than what they have.

Guys... Give things a chance to develop its way early in the season you know the Hawks dont even hit their stride until way later in the season... It's a learning progression... by the 4th quarter of the season they will have it figured out and everything is going to be fine... that's the way it always works...

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yes, it isn't like Carroll has any kind of history of riding with substandard coordinators that lead to early exits in the playoffs or anything.

And it is laughable to think that Griffen is not better than what we have. Not even that big a Griffen fan but that should be obvious.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bvg5ktde said:
LTH":bvg5ktde said:
Aros":bvg5ktde said:

Just my take

LTH

The Adams trade had nothing to do with Clowney. Adam's cap hit this year is only 3.5M.........and if you brought in a safety to bulk up your D-line and pass rush? Then that's insane.

We didn't sign Clowney because he was only coming back here for MUCH more than he was getting elsewhere because he didn't want another season of being double and triple teamed heading into free agency next year with only one sack again.

Pete and John didn't want to pay him that much, which rightly so. But Plan B shouldn't have been "lets get a couple mid-level DE's and trust them with a couple 1st and 2nd year guys.............AND we're still bad at DT, Reed hasn't done anything.

Really? seems to me that #33 has already has good sack numbers...I just think the reason they haven't signed a DE is because there is nobody they think is worth the money and or they dont think any of the FA are better than what they are developing... this is a fair point... why else would they not sign a DE? I just think you guys need to be patient and let things play out...

LTH

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The bright side for me is that the new parts in the secondary should improve as they play together. They've got a lot of talent, but just need to learn to play better as a unit, imo.

Some of the pass rush is scheme. Yesterday was about as vanilla as it gets. Stunts, shifts, creative blitzes...?
For personnel it is later than it should be, but get back to the no-stone-left-unturned approach. Bring in FAs who might have something left. Look for teams wanting to deal before the trade deadline. 9ers just signed Ahnsah fwiw.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I like Ryan Kerrigan. Washington is 1-1 and needs help all over. Kerrigan is in a contract year and on a team that already has Chase Young and Montez Sweat, they may be willing to part with him for some offensive help for Haskins. Say maybe Hollister, and Moore. Throw in a 4th round pick if needed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Why would Washington help a team they might have to face in the playoffs?

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Well, we got rid of the vanilla offensive calls for most of the game when Pete relinquished some control to Schots and Russ.

Maybe he needs to do the same on the Defensive side. Tho I know Pete is a Defense Man thru and thru...But I also know when he tries to get sneaky it usually ends up super mega face palm.

Latest posts