So, what happened?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a damn iPhone, does the same things and isn't a tablet posing as a phone. Lets be real here.

A

Anonymous

Throwdown":2cd9iuw7 said:
Nothing wrong with a damn iPhone, does the same things and isn't a tablet posing as a phone. Lets be real here.

Oh, I'm jus playin. ;)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Throwdown":30nxhh37 said:

Ya saids it yaself thare Throw, it is a DAMN IPHONE....
(snicker) Right iTHROW. LOL :mrgreen: :twisted:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":1zncbp8z said:
No. It doesn't. Well, I suppose it kinda does. Like a generation behind though. I love waiting for Apple press releases about the new features coming out. Most of them are already available on my phone but weren't advertised.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Man, people get so hung up on a phone. Do you care what blender your friend uses? Do you get worked up over the gas station they prefer? So tired of this. Now I have to get pressured over HOW I use .net?

Vetamur

Reaction score
Would it better for .net if tapatalk users left? Is it up for .net users to change to the site or the site to adjust to the users? Odd I'm being shamed for using .net the most convenient way for me to use it...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Vetamur":2nvts6b9 said:
Would it better for .net if tapatalk users left? Is it up for .net users to change to the site or the site to adjust to the users? Odd I'm being shamed for using .net the most convenient way for me to use it...
Tapatalk has its own separate set of security concerns and data mismanagement issues that are valid things, but I completely agree that the "Tapatalk haterade" being swilled by some is kind of above and beyond. None of it changes the fact that it's a good experience for many end users. I'd love to see a real competitor to Tapatalk come out, but there aren't any of note that I've been able to find.

Anguish

Reaction score
I would rather see tapatalk users leave .net than see .net succumb to a malicious attack caused by a security hole in a 3rd party software that I have no control over how and when those holes are patched. The holes do get patched. Sometimes in a day, sometimes in a week, sometimes longer. We have to decide what is acceptable. So far it has been. It's my "job" to be sure that this place continues to exist, and that all of the data contained on it is secure. I'd be more than happy to hand that over to anyone that would like to take it.

No one was shaming anyone. Talk about sensitive.

ivotuk

Reaction score
As far as reading on a phone (Android) I just double tap my screen and it increases the font. Have no idea what TapAtalk is but it sounds uncomfortable.

Rule of thumb for your phone: The fewer the apps, the better. My phone is like my Harley, stripped down, bare necessities.

The Radish

Reaction score
Anguish":22nplnb5 said:
HoustonHawk82":22nplnb5 said:
JesterHawk":22nplnb5 said:
HoustonHawk82":22nplnb5 said:
As far as the outage, you can blame the vast and un-ending security concerns brought forth by cellphone site-reading applications that people insist on using instead of safe and secure browsers using up-to-date security policies. That would be waaayyy more believable than a simple power outage anyway...

Sent from my own PC, after typing into a real keyboard, while glancing at a real monitor, using a secure web browser, while viewing the site as it was intended, while admiring all the colors and organization that took hundreds of hours to produce, while sitting at a real desk, while I'm not actually supposed to be working...

We could eliminate all of these technology problems easily. We could just go back to reading newspapers.

I for one have a family that I spend my non working hours with. Grabbing a quick look at .net from my phone is how I stay connected.

sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities.

Sent from my bathtub.

:roll:

To prevent Anguish from changing his username to "EvenMoreAnguish", allow me (an attempt) to clarify, while you wash behind your ears:

It is absolutely NOT the accessing of our beloved site via the usage of a mobile device that is in any way to be considered a perceived no-no. In fact, one of the major reasons for our recent site re-design was to provide users of surface's, tablets, notes, and cells, a much better site experience. Without users (safely) accessing from any one of the multitude of remote devices and whenever they can sneak the opportunity, this place might be a ghost town. Again, I was in NO WAY discouraging any type of .NET surfing via mobile.

Rather, my barb was squarely directed toward the unsecure mobile applications used to read and respond to the site in a (perceived) "better way". Many of you are familiar with the app which has a name that rhymes with "Crap-on-rock"? It summarizes content for you and that's all great, but It is all the tracking and location baggage un-knowingly riding into the site with you and being stored on your device while you use it that creates countless headaches and security challenges for developers and webmasters everywhere.

It is not your fault. Nope. You are only trying to get your Hawks stuff the quickest and easiest way you can while peeing with one hand and holding your phone with the other, right?. Trust me, Rock and Anguish did not create and attach any signposts on the way to .NET encouraging the use of such crap. It is the cookies you picked up from navigating to "Ford Granada Owner's Society" that grabbed you. The next site you went to after figuring out what color wire is going to the negative side of the wiper motor was us, and your phone told you, "This site uses "Keep-Track-of-you-while-you-talk", would you like to use it? You said "yes", your defaults were set, and the rest is history. Now your every move is not only watched and tracked by Verizon (or whomever your provider is) but all of your activity goes through Crappy-jock's) server too. No wonder your stuff runs so slow...

I would encourage anyone utilizing one of these "mobilizing" apps to view .NET consider selecting "view as web-page" (or similar setting) as their default mode of access on their mobile device, or, for your phone's medium to long-term health, removing the reader-app altogether. Turn your display sideways if you can. By doin so, a wonderous world of brilliant Seahawks color schemes, creative fonts, and easy-access buttons await those who simply use their remote device's default web browser. You will see .NET in all its glory, just as the developer intended. As an added benefit, frequent software security updates provide mobile device users with an increased level of security that is not afforded by using alternative reading and responding applications. Lock up much?

Who cares if you gotta use two hands, your experience will be much more pleasant, I promise you. Who knows, with one less database following your every move you make, you might enjoy a little more ambiguity when the apocalypse occurs. :mrgreen:

:thcoffee:

Many paragraphs full of awesome!

Oh Shit,,, you made his A list

:cry:

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Anguish":2cvx0z0x said:
I would rather see tapatalk users leave .net than see .net succumb to a malicious attack caused by a security hole in a 3rd party software that I have no control over how and when those holes are patched. The holes do get patched. Sometimes in a day, sometimes in a week, sometimes longer. We have to decide what is acceptable. So far it has been. It's my "job" to be sure that this place continues to exist, and that all of the data contained on it is secure. I'd be more than happy to hand that over to anyone that would like to take it.

No one was shaming anyone. Talk about sensitive.
I never would have known about tapatalk if not for .net. if the decision is made to stop supporting tapatalk I'm sure it won't kill the site, but at some point somebody made the decision to support it. Not all forums do. If it's really that bad then shut down the tapatalk support.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Rather than first being up the problem mid way trough a tread through a mod, why wasn't there a stickies post somewhere discussing the issues with it? Not everyone is tech savvy or aware if issues with apps or whatever. Told of the issues some people with options (those using tapatalk on phones with larger screens) etc would probably make a change. People are otter reasonable but if not made aware of an issue can't help with it. A sticker post "to users of tapatalk" and discussing what's going on and asking those who don't have to use to not might have been the way I would have gone...

A

Anonymous

Vetamur":3bwgvmbw said:
Rather than first being up the problem mid way trough a tread through a mod, why wasn't there a stickies post somewhere discussing the issues with it? Not everyone is tech savvy or aware if issues with apps or whatever. Told of the issues some people with options (those using tapatalk on phones with larger screens) etc would probably make a change. People are otter reasonable but if not made aware of an issue can't help with it. A sticker post "to users of tapatalk" and discussing what's going on and asking those who don't have to use to not might have been the way I would have gone...

Good point.

I cannot speak for Anguish on this, but for the time being I think 3rd-party apps are being dealt with just like taxes. It may not yet be the time where a stand needs to be made and the tea dumped into the harbor, hence no "users of Tapatalk" announcement. Should it reach that point, we'll start handing out ammunition, poste haste.

I think the reason it was brought up within this thread was that it fell within the context of discussing possible causes of the brief outage (which it wasn't). Since Tapatalk has been a discussion amongst us behind the scenes, I thought it an opportunity to toss it in in a more casual way. As usual, a good deed never goes un-punished. :mrgreen:

I think one of the coolest parts about this site, is that it is loved and needed so much by so many. When something goes awry, all hell breaks loose. I mean, what if Google went down for a few hours? People might start hoarding canned food. To Hawknballs and KidHawk, I'll bet it was almost to that point. How cool is that?

JesterHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2n2voyl9 said:
Vetamur":2n2voyl9 said:

Good point.

I cannot speak for Anguish on this, but for the time being I think 3rd-party apps are being dealt with just like taxes. It may not yet be the time where a stand needs to be made and the tea dumped into the harbor, hence no "users of Tapatalk" announcement. Should it reach that point, we'll start handing out ammunition, poste haste.

I think the reason it was brought up within this thread was that it fell within the context of discussing possible causes of the brief outage (which it wasn't). Since Tapatalk has been a discussion amongst us behind the scenes, I thought it an opportunity to toss it in in a more casual way. As usual, a good deed never goes un-punished. :mrgreen:

I think one of the coolest parts about this site, is that it is loved and needed so much by so many. When something goes awry, all hell breaks loose. I mean, what if Google went down for a few hours? People might start hoarding canned food. To Hawknballs and KidHawk, I'll bet it was almost to that point. How cool is that?
If you had just said there are some issues with security problems in tapatalk rather than go on a 4 paragraph mini rant about how terrible it is and making up several mocking names if it...this thread probably wouldn't have escalated like this. It seemed like the battle lines had been drawn but nobody knew about them on the user side.

I'm over it.