bbsplitter

Reaction score
Is it possible they move Pocic to RT?

LT Brown
LG Fluker
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Pocic

You would have two road graders in Ifedi and Fluker to still run it up the middle with smoother tackles on the exterior? I think Pocic's lack of strength would be less of a liability on the outside. He seems to be pretty tall and lanky for an interior lineman. Fluker would have an experienced tackle in Brown beside him.

This would take a leap of faith in Pocic but I believe sets up everyone else fairly well.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the only one you pencil in is Brown. Everything else is up for grabs, best 5 guys not doing the Cable musical chair routine and let them go.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":7fykd7t8 said:
Britt is probably pretty safe too, I would think.

Pocic if he adds muscle may force him out, line calls are as important as the QB calling route and audibles, Pocic seemed to handle that well in his short stints as well as Joey Hunt.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you consider that Solari is the guy who decided to play him at RG last season it seems like a stretch to slot him at RT based largely on PFF ratings. Even if those ratings are 100% correct that difference in play could be due to other factors, such as health and the players he is playing next to. Last season was a train wreck for the Giants across the OL at least partly due to injuries and nobody looked good.

I don't see Pocic at RT simply because I think with Fluker it is clear they are trying to run the ball. Fluker RG/Ifedi RT may be a pass protection liability but that's quite a lot of run blocking power on that side.

Fade

Reaction score
LT Brown -- LG Pocic -- C Britt -- RG Fluker -- RT Ifedi

Is the obvious lineup right now. I would like for them to get better at LG & RT.

Pocic I think is a better prospect at Center than Britt will ever be, but he is making the money, so it is what it is.

Fant at RT sounds fun for fans to say, but dude is coming off a major ACL tear and is a basketball player. I can all but guarantee Fant will be playing exclusively at LT the entire off-season. They need to get him ready just in case Duane Brown goes down with an injury.

They could definitely use another 2nd or 3rd rd prospect to help round out the group, but this isn't as bad as last year.
It feels good to say that for the first time in a long time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Or Pocic at Center and Hunt back up, trade Britt to needy team in Summer Camp is another option.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken doesn't PC like the run graders on the left side. Seems to make the most sense. Line is a big mystery this year though. This signing makes me feel a little better in the very least at an attempt to get better at run blocking. Still have the draft and,,,,,,dammit,,,, we are due for a good prospect.

12forlife

Reaction score
chris98251":2074hucq said:
Or Pocic at Center and Hunt back up, trade Britt to needy team in Summer Camp is another option.

Agree. Plus this would add a good amount to our cap room next year, to add a key piece or 2 next year in FA.
There is a lot to happen before the start of the season. If we trade back from #18 little of no chance we land Wynn, but if we end up trading ET. we should be able to land Wynn at #18, and a stud RB in the 2nd!

original poster

Reaction score
Trading Britt would create a negative effect on the cap this year, it would go down $2,583,334 however would go up $7,916,666 the following year. Guess it's possible if they truly believe Pocic is the future but I'm not convinced Britt gets moved.

I've been thinking about this quite a lot over the last day or so. I have been hell bent on Seattle going guard early for a number of reasons, mainly due to this draft is so strong at the position and it would be a shame to not tap into that talent.

Yesterday morning I'd say I was 95% certain their first pick would be a guard, now I'm not as convinced, I still think it's highly likely but I'm down to roughly 60-70% sure now.

Main reason being Pocic. I'm confident he is going to come back this year considerably stronger and although he's always going to be more of a technician than a straight up mauler, with his strength up he could prove to be really, really good. He certainly didn't look absolutely appalling last year, did he...

If they drafted one of the guys I'm really high on (Wynn, Hernandez, Corbett, Teller) they would all be as good as guaranteed as day 1 starters at LG.

With the right side being a combination of Fluker and Ifedi (I'm positive it will be) that leaves Pocic as a back up, which, given his versatility isn't a bad thing but if he works his arse off this offseason and comes back looking great, he may force the team into a starting role? Guess it wouldn't be crazy to assume he could jump in front of Fluker on the depth chart but I don't know.

It's another positional group I'm really, really excited to see pan out, especially if they add another guard early in the draft.

original poster

Reaction score
DomeHawk":24m0q791 said:
original poster":24m0q791 said:
DomeHawk":24m0q791 said:
original poster":24m0q791 said:
The RG thing could very well be smoke and mirrors. Seems a bit odd that his agent is saying that at all in honesty.

I'm confident in saying I think the line will look like this come next season, assuming they go heavy on the power run and not zone stuff. If they do go power run it likely leaves Pocic on the bench which isn't such a bad thing for now, depends how strong he can get this offseason but even if he comes back massive I still think Ifedi/Fluker on the right side is better.

LT - Duane Brown
LG - Rookie (Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Austin Corbett or even Wyatt Teller)
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi
RT - DJ Fluker (tagging on Ed Dickson at the end to support the passing game)

No way does Fluker play RT. That would be a disaster.

Could you elaborate please, Dome?

I disagree but all for hearing something that may change my mind :2thumbs:

All you have to do is listen to the sport's people from NY and Dago that have watched him a lot. They have been interviewing them nonstop on the radio. He's a power-run guy whose weakness is stunts, slides, and DE's who can run around you. Not a recipe for a OT. They all say that he would be valuable at OG w/a dependable tackle next to him.

And, I'm sorry but I have never heard of a OT depending on a TE for pass protection, they can help at times but if that is your strategy you have just decided to play w/a 10-man offensive squad.

Valid points, Dome. Thank you.

I agree that relying on Dickson to aid pass-pro doesn't make a whole ton of sense but I didn't mean every play, of course. When they do have Dickson in to block on the right side there's no doubt he could and would help Fluker out if he was to play RT.

My assumption of Fluker to RT is more about it suiting Ifefi better at RG than it is about suiting Fluker better at RT.

I still wouldn't rule it out but for continuities sake you are probably right and Ifedi stays at RT. I can absolutely see him making a big jump this year depending on how well he responds to Solari. If that happens it's problem solved.

Fade

Reaction score
Seattle just paid out a huge roster $$$ bonus to Britt, he isn't going anywhere. Let's hope he has a bounce back season, because last year was average.

AgentDib

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":328330za said:
If I am not mistaken doesn't PC like the run graders on the left side. Seems to make the most sense.
I'd say we've been heavier on the right side like most teams with a right handed QB. I wouldn't say any of our lines have been notably stronger at run blocking on the left side since 2010. Sweezy, Ifedi, Andrews and Giacomini were all better run blockers than pass blockers.

2010: Okung-Gibson-Spencer-Andrews-Locklear #31 rushing offense
2011: Okung-Gallery-Unger-Carpenter-Giacomini #21 rushing offense
2012: Okung-Carpenter-Unger-McQuistan-Giacomini #3 rushing offense
2013: Okung-Carpenter-Unger-Sweezy-Giacomini #4 rushing offense
2014: Okung-Carpenter-Unger-Sweezy-Britt #1 rushing offense
2015: Okung-Britt-Lewis-Sweezy-Gilliam #3 rushing offense
2016: Fant-Glow-Britt-Ifedi-Gillaim #25 rushing offense
2017: Brown-Joeckel-Britt-Aboushi-Ifedi #23 rushing offense
2018: Brown-Pocic-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi?

With the benefit of hindsight, the real drop-offs in the run game seem directly attributable to the loss of Marshawn Lynch after the 2015 season along with the rule change to eliminate the chop block which occurred at the same time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
AgentDib":2fo4qscm said:
seahawkfreak":2fo4qscm said:
If I am not mistaken doesn't PC like the run graders on the left side. Seems to make the most sense.
I'd say we've been heavier on the right side like most teams with a right handed QB. I wouldn't say any of our lines have been notably stronger at run blocking on the left side since 2010. Sweezy, Ifedi, Andrews and Giacomini were all better run blockers than pass blockers.

With the benefit of hindsight, the real drop-offs in the run game seem directly attributable to the loss of Marshawn Lynch after the 2015 season along with the rule change to eliminate the chop block which occurred at the same time.

Good points and I was directly thinking of Carpenter to the left Guard. Not hanging my hat on it. Personally, I just really would like the defensive line to stop penetrating us......................That's what she said.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Here is my challenge with Pocic at LG right now. The LG has to be able to match up with the Defensive Nose Tackle. Pocic as of last year did not have enough sand in his shorts to hold up to an NFL caliber NT's bull rush. If he gets considerably stronger in his legs, then maybe, but ideally we'd want someone at LG that is stronger than Pocic, especially if we are going to more of a power zone blocking scheme.

Just my 2 cents

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":1j4wlp1e said:
seahawkfreak":1j4wlp1e said:

There were many very critical of Sweezy when he played in Seattle. I wasn't one of them. I admired and miss his uniqueness.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AgentDib":cbo6kjy5 said:
seahawkfreak":cbo6kjy5 said:

Would you mind gathering the passing offenses for those seasons? I am curious what the difference would be. Thanks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
original poster":2s0ew0qw said:
^^Assuming you mean pass protection? It's staggering.

Correct...pardon.

Reason being is it gives us a balance as to the whole picture thru those years.