Some Denver fans not sure we won Wilson trade

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
We got:
1. Starting anchor at LT (Cross)
2. 2nd round edge rusher with potential (Mafe)
3. Starting DT (2022) (Harrison)
4. Starting Caliber TE (Fant)
5. Backup QB (Lock)
6. Best Corner in the 2024 draft. (Spoon)
7. Top 5 edge rusher in 2024 draft (Hall)
8. The ability to start a Pro Bowl QB in 2022 with a salary of 1.2 million.
9. The ability in 2023 to start a Pro Bowl QB coming off a playoff birth while saving 12 million in cap space compared to RW.
10. The ability to move on from said QB without penalty if he underperforms.

They got..

1. A five win QB whose fat ass gets sacked more than anyone.
2. A QB that will occupy 18% of their cap by 2024 and has 165m in guarantees.
3. Eyioma Uwazurike
4. A 5 game winning QB whose performance necessitated the hiring of Sean Payton costing them their 2023 1st round pick received for Chubb.

Yeah...The Broncos really fleeced us good.
Loved Russ when he was young and had the hunger. Later years were mediocre at best. No way we lost the trade. Still have a bit to go, but if the draft turns out on the field like it did on paper-we have a 2 year rebuild in place that will be very exciting.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
We got:
1. Starting anchor at LT (Cross)
2. 2nd round edge rusher with potential (Mafe)
3. Starting DT (2022) (Harrison)
4. Starting Caliber TE (Fant)
5. Backup QB (Lock)
6. Best Corner in the 2024 draft. (Spoon)
7. Top 5 edge rusher in 2024 draft (Hall)
8. The ability to start a Pro Bowl QB in 2022 with a salary of 1.2 million.
9. The ability in 2023 to start a Pro Bowl QB coming off a playoff birth while saving 12 million in cap space compared to RW.
10. The ability to move on from said QB without penalty if he underperforms.

They got..

1. A five win QB whose fat ass gets sacked more than anyone.
2. A QB that will occupy 18% of their cap by 2024 and has 165m in guarantees.
3. Eyioma Uwazurike
4. A 5 game winning QB whose performance necessitated the hiring of Sean Payton costing them their 2023 1st round pick received for Chubb.

Yeah...The Broncos really fleeced us good.

That’s not even all of it if you count opportunity gained for Seahawks. I’m sure they’ve would have approach each draft different had they not had the extra picks with another two off-seasons of not being able to retain some players and signing JAGs. And I’m not sure they get Dre Jones either, I think his frustration last year with the Broncos and the shared frustration over Wilson made him much more attainable then he would have been..

And to include the opportunity lost with the Broncos. Trading Chubb. The resources lost in having to trade for Payton, the turnover from that trade hitting reset after a reset. Wasting a great defensive campaign. And the investment over this off-season they’ve poured in insuring that they have a dominant run game to buoy Wilson’s weaknesses. Not to mention using their first pick on WR, when that probably wasn’t a huge need but perhaps it was necessary to get fresh hands if the incumbents have already soured. And I say that through experience of seeing players come in rockin on about how great Russ is and then eventually become visually frustrated with him at times.

And most importantly the apoplectic scenario of Jody choosing Russ over PC/JS giving him the one ring to rule them all and the mass exodus of that resulting power probably resulting in giving up what remaining resources we had in Russ going all in for Payton.

As good as Russ is or was, I don’t think anyone can deny at some point he became a soul-sucking black hole like the corporation that is now paying for his contract and that all the right choices were made.

Last edited:

BigMeach

Reaction score
LOL at that "DK47" guy. I always love reading a board post where someone is being really ignorant and arrogant while posting repeatedly, then to have someone own them with an undisputable fact that they have no retaliation for... weird how that's always when they completely stop responding to the thread.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
LOL at that "DK47" guy. I always love reading a board post where someone is being really ignorant and arrogant while posting repeatedly, then to have someone own them with an undisputable fact that they have no retaliation for... weird how that's always when they completely stop responding to the thread.
My first thought was "John63?"

But the grammar was too good.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Honestly, and I'm not being hyperbolic here, based on last year's results, even a straight up, one for one trade of Russell Wilson for Drew Lock would have been a win for the Hawks. Just barely, but still a win.

Does anyone doubt that even Drew Lock could get 5 wins with the 2022 Seahawks team?

Roughly equivalent players, but significantly more cap space with Lock.

Obviously the math can change if Wilson turns it around, but based solely on results so far, Seattle wins that theoretical trade.

Scout

Reaction score
What Broncos fans are missing is that the Broncos have a Super Bowl caliber defense. But it will be hard to hold onto these players the next few years due to RW contract.

That is why the Broncos loaded up on drafting defense. Drafting defensive value to groom and replace players they more than likely will lose to free agency 1-3 years from now.

The Chiefs are employing a similar strategy by finding value draft picks on offense and defense to compete with Mahome's contract down the road. The difference is that Mahomes helps the Chiefs win a few games per year they have no business winning. Can RW do that at this late stage of his career? Can RW recapture that magic back?

If not the Broncos are solid .500 ball club surrounded by the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers which are stacked with talent. And the AFC keeps stacking QB talent.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Honestly, and I'm not being hyperbolic here, based on last year's results, even a straight up, one for one trade of Russell Wilson for Drew Lock would have been a win for the Hawks. Just barely, but still a win.

Does anyone doubt that even Drew Lock could get 5 wins with the 2022 Seahawks team?

Roughly equivalent players, but significantly more cap space with Lock.

Obviously the math can change if Wilson turns it around, but based solely on results so far, Seattle wins that theoretical trade.
The ultimate exclamation point would be if Lock played here and outplayed Wilson over the course of a season. And it could happen. Lock is learning while Geno plays and, like Geno, has the tools to be just what we need to be successful.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Something Denver fans can't see.....Russ will be 35 this coming season. Age doesn't bode well for his game. Being purely a pocket QB that has to convert on obvious passing situations is NOT his strength. And , to me, the only situation where he can succeed would be to work off a great defense and stud running back. Kind of like 8-10 years ago. The issue for Denver is how to build that roster with his bill , while also having to overcome KC, BUF, and CIN in their conference.

I don't see it happening for Denver...or Russell. Odds are his best days are gone. So the next topic will be HOF. It was so close, but looks like the down fall has let the gold jacket slip away

chris98251

Reaction score
The difference in actual money cost, then player cost, add in the contracts for coaches and people let go that you have to finish paying out in Denver, cost of getting Payton in money and Draft picks. Then add the Fans abandoned the team half way thru the season so loss of seats in the stands and revenue. Russ is cooking so hot he is burning down a whole franchise now.