Some thoughts that will make you feel better...

OkieHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1tibfgz4 said:
I don't like that our offensive philosophy is so reactive and slow. You're also clinging to the belief that because of what happened in the past will happen in the future. Hopefully you're right but you're ignoring an underlying problem based on expected rectification. If I came to your house and made a mess every time yet almost always cleaned it up would you be okay with the fact I made a mess every time cause I'm such a diligent cleaner. Maybe I shouldn't be making messes in the first place that require superhuman effort to rectify.

This made me chuckle. It's also true.

Why do we have the philosophy to start slow and then build from that, with the hope that we'll finish strong? What happens when we don't finish strong?

mrt144

Reaction score
StoneCold":zrin1iaj said:
mrt144":zrin1iaj said:
And we'll need to win 7 straight games to make the playoffs. Sure that's exciting but it's also damning that the coaching staff puts them in such a high variance situation to begin with.

Is you trolling? This is not up to your usual posting standard.

I find it odd that we're worrying about the last 7 games, firing coaches, running Pete out of town and we've only played two games.

To all the nervous Nellies. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM. (repeat)

I'm frustrated and not feeling well.

Yes, I'm nervous because the problem, the singular problem from last year is rearing its ugly head.

I'm trying to be optimistic but based on the season so far, it's hard. I'd like to factor in the past but my bayesian brain has perilous few good data points for this season so far.

mrt144

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2u5wwgbv said:
mrt144":2u5wwgbv said:
I don't like that our offensive philosophy is so reactive and slow. You're also clinging to the belief that because of what happened in the past will happen in the future. Hopefully you're right but you're ignoring an underlying problem based on expected rectification. If I came to your house and made a mess every time yet almost always cleaned it up would you be okay with the fact I made a mess every time cause I'm such a diligent cleaner. Maybe I shouldn't be making messes in the first place that require superhuman effort to rectify.

This made me chuckle. It's also true.

Why do we have the philosophy to start slow and then build from that, with the hope that we'll finish strong? What happens when we don't finish strong?

It's ramping up the variance of outcomes to be less forgiving to us. There's confidence that you'll TCB but you can't take it for granted.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":3bbjc3z9 said:

What during the Pete Carroll era has made you think otherwise?

Four straight deep playoff runs, two SB's and one Lombardi. Now all of a sudden we're questioning his philosophies after a loss to a team that gives us problems every single year in their new home with a banged up QB?

I have news for you, Pete isn't changing, Bevell and Russell aren't changing.............and we should be happy about all of it, cause it's worked.

Until it doesn't work, I'm not freaking out over another slow start. Especially with all the injuries we've dealt with so far.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":vu49z9sr said:
Honestly, Im not surprised at all. Your right, the Rams have our number. Plus the FIRST game ever back in LA? You know the NFL wanted the Rams to win that game, hence some questionable calls.

Not surprising. But sad though. This teams Super Bowl window is now. And lets be honest, we NEED HFA through out to make that happen. This is going to hurt at the end of the year.
And the Rams got embarrassed in their first game and were looking at going to 0-2, while the Hawks won--the stakes were totally different. The Seahawks are a second half team. You're right about the seeding--screw the division, we need to get one of the top two seeds in the NFC.

StoneCold

Reaction score
mrt144":23gnvtty said:

I have no problem with you coming to my house, making a mess while cooking delicious ribs, and then cleaning up afterwards. The day you don't clean up? We'll have a problem.

We might not pull out of the Offensive funk we're in. We could have a season of stumbling around. But remember, Russell is hurt, Graham and Rawls are coming back from serious injuries and the Oline is learning to work together. The reason the Oline is learning to work together is we spend our big money on the Defense. A defense that allowed 9 points.

I think by game 5 we'll be hitting our stride. Ifedi will come back next week and take a game or two to get back in the groove. From there I am hopeful we start to see better production.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27gq8v1a said:
"It's a matchup thing?"

So we are just golden with setting our team up so it automatically loses to 1-2 games per year to a team in it's own division? That isn't a matchup thing, it is called stupidity.

If we adjust our personnel and scheme to be good at beating the Rams, it might mean we won't have as much success at beating the teams on the rest of our schedule.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1urgwxw6 said:
StoneCold":1urgwxw6 said:
What pains me the most about this loss is Michael's fumble. I feel for him because he was running well and on that play fighting for the first down yardage, both hands on the ball and just got hit in a way that the ball came out. It happens, but people will tag him as butterfingers. I remember some RB named Lynch fumbling a few times in his career also.

That fumble was just the final straw of what was going on the entire day, continuing to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Every good play followed up with two bad ones, on both sides of the ball.

btw, I know it's hard to criticize the defense, only giving up 16 points in two weeks? But holy moly they let a bad QB and horrible offense off the hook so many times yesterday. Even the small things like letting the Rams drive to midfield before punting converting 3rd and long how many times? Which resulted in terrible field position changes all day.

49ers stacked 8 or 9 at the line. Keenum crumbles at pressure. Why wouldn't we do the same? If it doesn't work, we go back to what we do.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uvl1ppt said:
mrt144":1uvl1ppt said:

What during the Pete Carroll era has made you think otherwise?

Four straight deep playoff runs, two SB's and one Lombardi. Now all of a sudden we're questioning his philosophies after a loss to a team that gives us problems every single year in their new home with a banged up QB?

I have news for you, Pete isn't changing, Bevell and Russell aren't changing.............and we should be happy about all of it, cause it's worked.

Until it doesn't work, I'm not freaking out over another slow start. Especially with all the injuries we've dealt with so far.

Because I don't weight a season 3 years prior as heavily as I do one season prior. Sure there's something there but prior teams are bound by the talent on the team and their execution of the blue print. Bevell might have the best blue print for a once in a generation RB and a young, relatively unknown efficient and improvisational QB coupled with a below average line, but that's not the team we have now.

We are under a different set of constraints each season and in the 2 games so far, there's not enough 'there' there to think "They got this".

One of the narratives that I find most enjoyable about football is looking to see IF positive changes can or will be made. It's why I tune in each week. I love learning and seeing people learn. I'm just not going to give benefit of the doubt out when the most recent season had some of the same issues we're facing this year to a seemingly greater degree. I'll cop to weighting last season's foibles heavily but there aren't so many differing factors between now and last year. JAGs at O line, similar composition of WR and RB corps, RW's ankle being the biggest difference so far.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":ysvupgh2 said:
We are under a different set of constraints each season and in the 2 games so far, there's not enough 'there' there to think "They got this"..

You're in the minority then, cause before the season started all we heard was this team was loaded and rivaled or even surpassed the talent of the 2013 champs.

I'll admit, I thought our offense would play better than it has so far. But I'm not even close to panicking yet, nor calling for anyone's head.

If we can get to the bye 2-2 I'll be happy..........cause then we can get healthy, get Ifedi back and hopefully start rolling like we did last year in the 2nd half.

If the injuries linger or god forbid get worse? Then yeah buckle up cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride my friends.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Laloosh":240vuif5 said:
^^ At least we're not Bills fans.

Or Rams fans. What must be going on in there world having only scored 9 points. :stirthepot:

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32yd58og said:
mrt144":32yd58og said:
We are under a different set of constraints each season and in the 2 games so far, there's not enough 'there' there to think "They got this"..

You're in the minority then, cause before the season started all we heard was this team was loaded and rivaled or even surpassed the talent of the 2013 champs.

I'll admit, I thought our offense would play better than it has so far. But I'm not even close to panicking yet, nor calling for anyone's head.

If we can get to the bye 2-2 I'll be happy..........cause then we can get healthy, get Ifedi back and hopefully start rolling like we did last year in the 2nd half.

If the injuries linger or god forbid get worse? Then yeah buckle up cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride my friends.

I hope we get rolling again, I'm just not going to take it on faith or in diminishing comparisons to past teams to think it will happen.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The outcome of this game was bad all the way. A loss, within the division, along with many of our skilled players getting banged up. Our chances are worse at both the division and HFA as a result. Losing always sucks in the NFL but this was a bad loss.

I don't think the manner in which we lost is particularly concerning. There were key plays, calls and turnovers that went against us and killed drives time after time and there's too much parity in the NFL to reliably win games when that happens. Despite how terrible our offense has looked we're closer to middle of the pack for everything but points (anti-clutch effect) with a major chunk of our offense banged up. That will smooth out over the long run unless you believe in curses or sustained poor luck.

The line played about how we thought it would against the Dolphins and Rams defensive lines. It should get better against weaker units, with more time to develop, and with Ifedi returning from injury. A bright spot is that none of the rest of the unit has gotten banged up yet (knock on wood).

I'm concerned about Rawls only in that he is clearly not 100% yet. He'll get healthier with time. CMike played great except for the last fumble and that was a tough play. Running backs will lose the ball in situations like that occasionally. Collins didn't get much of an opportunity as we weren't opening up interior holes and Prosise's health is clearly going to be an ongoing concern.

We need our receiver group to be healthy, especially Doug. Lockett, Richardson and Kearse can all contribute with downfield plays but we really rely on Doug for the short contested stuff. It's encouraging that Graham caught another three passes and I'd like to see them continue to escalate on the same rate with perhaps 7-8 targets against the 49ers.

Hopefully RW's positive mental attitude doesn't skew reality too much this week as the Hawks evaluate what he can contribute when putting together the game plan.

bighawk

Reaction score
Our offense is too predictable with its playcalling. Sometimes they need to come out in the no huddle change things up. Russell just needs to get healthy.

mrt144

Reaction score
I think that there's a separate issue with no outlet here - as fans we'd love there to be transparency and public acknowledgment of failings and introspection but few ever self flagellate in the NFL. I don't think I'm alone in this but if Bevell and Pete said "yeah, we like a cat in the dryer at the moment" it would go a long way to reassuring me that there are problems that are recognized and opportunities for growth. I take admissions of failings as opportunities, not a sign of weakness but due to the incentives and atmosphere of the NFL, you only get one of those nuggets seldom.

HawkGA

Reaction score
One thing I've definitely learned it to not listen to a lick of pre-season hype. I remember last year how Graham was dominating in the red zone in practice. This year the hunger was supposed to be back. Both years nothing but big fat lies.

chris98251

Reaction score
What we saw was a team that might as well had TJack playing QB yesterday, Wilsons unique threat when healthy is the wild card in our offense, take a look back at Cable in Oakland and his ability to find new ways to get QB's beat up, it was a revolving door. Then look at Minny with Bevell as OC and the inept offense they had without a Brett Farve doing his own Wilson imitation of rolling out and making back yard plays.

What I am saying is Cable was hired for zone blocking schemes, he is good at working with RB's as well, Bevell has a history working with QB's and doing well, I don't discount his ability to get Wilson up to speed, both are constrained with Petes conservative offensive approach.

But neither has been a stand on their own OC genius, you don't hear people talking about them like Norm Chow or Mike Shula, or Mike Holmgren, Dan Coryell, Syd Luckman, Bill Walsh, Josh McDanials, Norv Turner, all names that have potent or had creative offensive minds or have offensive schemes that were created and coaches use now.

hawker84

Reaction score
Thanks for the uplifting post I mean that. I think they'll be fine down the road, and I'm not really worried, because we always come out the gates looking like complete and utter Dog S..t on offense to start the season year after year.. We either barely win early or lose close ones, that's the Caroll Seahawks....

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1nduob2q said:
What we saw was a team that might as well had TJack playing QB yesterday, Wilsons unique threat when healthy is the wild card in our offense, take a look back at Cable in Oakland and his ability to find new ways to get QB's beat up, it was a revolving door. Then look at Minny with Bevell as OC and the inept offense they had without a Brett Farve doing his own Wilson imitation of rolling out and making back yard plays.

What I am saying is Cable was hired for zone blocking schemes, he is good at working with RB's as well, Bevell has a history working with QB's and doing well, I don't discount his ability to get Wilson up to speed, both are constrained with Petes conservative offensive approach.

But neither has been a stand on their own OC genius, you don't hear people talking about them like Norm Chow or Mike Shula, or Mike Holmgren, Dan Coryell, Syd Luckman, Bill Walsh, Josh McDanials, Norv Turner, all names that have potent or had creative offensive minds or have offensive schemes that were created and coaches use now.
Now you're talking, Chris. Get that T-Jack bandwagon going. Let's get him back.

Latest posts