Some thoughts that will make you feel better...

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":owugdool said:
I'm more frustrated by the injuries and continued mental lapses on both sides of the ball with the continued problem with stupid penalties and mistakes.

This team is too veteran and too talented to have this many blown coverages, miscommunications and dumb penalties.

Actually, we have something like 15 or 17 rookies on the team this year. We're approximately the 7th youngest roster in the NFL. Yes, we have a good core of veteran players, but that many rookies will have some rookie mistakes.

As for the OP, I'll give you #2 but that's about it. "The Rams always play us tough" isn't a viable mantra when they've won 4 of the last 5 with massive talent disparities. At that point, we're getting out coached. Why hasn't Arizona had the same luck against us, with much much better personnel ? Losing individual matchups only gets you so far.

One positive I will contribute is that every year our OL gels about mid season. We could literally go on an epic run to end out the year if our OL gels and all the young guys on the team develop and improve. Look at what we're seeing already from Lockett and Clark as examples.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
AgentDib":25yfbduz said:
The outcome of this game was bad all the way. A loss, within the division, along with many of our skilled players getting banged up. Our chances are worse at both the division and HFA as a result. Losing always sucks in the NFL but this was a bad loss.

I don't think the manner in which we lost is particularly concerning. There were key plays, calls and turnovers that went against us and killed drives time after time and there's too much parity in the NFL to reliably win games when that happens. Despite how terrible our offense has looked we're closer to middle of the pack for everything but points (anti-clutch effect) with a major chunk of our offense banged up. That will smooth out over the long run unless you believe in curses or sustained poor luck.

The line played about how we thought it would against the Dolphins and Rams defensive lines. It should get better against weaker units, with more time to develop, and with Ifedi returning from injury. A bright spot is that none of the rest of the unit has gotten banged up yet (knock on wood).

I'm concerned about Rawls only in that he is clearly not 100% yet. He'll get healthier with time. CMike played great except for the last fumble and that was a tough play. Running backs will lose the ball in situations like that occasionally. Collins didn't get much of an opportunity as we weren't opening up interior holes and Prosise's health is clearly going to be an ongoing concern.

We need our receiver group to be healthy, especially Doug. Lockett, Richardson and Kearse can all contribute with downfield plays but we really rely on Doug for the short contested stuff. It's encouraging that Graham caught another three passes and I'd like to see them continue to escalate on the same rate with perhaps 7-8 targets against the 49ers.

Hopefully RW's positive mental attitude doesn't skew reality too much this week as the Hawks evaluate what he can contribute when putting together the game plan.
Bingo, good post

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":15t0u85g said:
What we saw was a team that might as well had TJack playing QB yesterday, Wilsons unique threat when healthy is the wild card in our offense, take a look back at Cable in Oakland and his ability to find new ways to get QB's beat up, it was a revolving door. Then look at Minny with Bevell as OC and the inept offense they had without a Brett Farve doing his own Wilson imitation of rolling out and making back yard plays.

What I am saying is Cable was hired for zone blocking schemes, he is good at working with RB's as well, Bevell has a history working with QB's and doing well, I don't discount his ability to get Wilson up to speed, both are constrained with Petes conservative offensive approach.

But neither has been a stand on their own OC genius, you don't hear people talking about them like Norm Chow or Mike Shula, or Mike Holmgren, Dan Coryell, Syd Luckman, Bill Walsh, Josh McDanials, Norv Turner, all names that have potent or had creative offensive minds or have offensive schemes that were created and coaches use now.

Proof of this would be that other teams have poached our last 2 DC's for head coaching jobs.

I can only remember Bevell having one interview. That tells you something right there.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Hawks46":1liwuzkt said:
chris98251":1liwuzkt said:
What we saw was a team that might as well had TJack playing QB yesterday, Wilsons unique threat when healthy is the wild card in our offense, take a look back at Cable in Oakland and his ability to find new ways to get QB's beat up, it was a revolving door. Then look at Minny with Bevell as OC and the inept offense they had without a Brett Farve doing his own Wilson imitation of rolling out and making back yard plays.

What I am saying is Cable was hired for zone blocking schemes, he is good at working with RB's as well, Bevell has a history working with QB's and doing well, I don't discount his ability to get Wilson up to speed, both are constrained with Petes conservative offensive approach.

But neither has been a stand on their own OC genius, you don't hear people talking about them like Norm Chow or Mike Shula, or Mike Holmgren, Dan Coryell, Syd Luckman, Bill Walsh, Josh McDanials, Norv Turner, all names that have potent or had creative offensive minds or have offensive schemes that were created and coaches use now.

Proof of this would be that other teams have poached our last 2 DC's for head coaching jobs.

I can only remember Bevell having one interview. That tells you something right there.

This is an excellent point. Everyone points to a superbowl win, 2 superbowl appearances, playoff births galore. Yet no love from ANY team for the OC of this juggernaut. VERY telling of the professional assessment of him.

Weadoption

Reaction score
As a Niner fan, I'd be on cloud 9 if I had the likes of your owner/gm, head coach and transcendently elusive qb.
Thats what keeps super bowl windows open- that always in it relevancy that seems a land far far away for the red and black?
Or is it red and gold?
Who the frick cares we don't have a qb, owner, or gm
This Rams game too shall pass, but yea maybe a Marshawnless Bevel needs to go.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":uv2p18k6 said:
Hawks46":uv2p18k6 said:
chris98251":uv2p18k6 said:

This is an excellent point. Everyone points to a superbowl win, 2 superbowl appearances, playoff births galore. Yet no love from ANY team for the OC of this juggernaut. VERY telling of the professional assessment of him.
No it doesn't. Perhaps he just enjoys working and learning with Pete at this point. And maybe him and his family like Seattle, fickle fans and all.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":bvc75b81 said:

:34853_doh: Not this same lame excuse!!

Who's the OC for the Pats these days? How'd he do as a head coach?

And our last two DC who were offered HC jobs...how are they doing?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
if we lose to Gabbert and the niners next week then I will be really concerned...right now just disappointed with the same crap we saw early on last year. Does not make for enjoyable football to watch...Hell even the Browns look more damgerous on offence.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Ignoramus question:

Are coaches exempt from salary caps?

If so then it may explain why the likes of Bevell may have entertained, but not accepted, positions elsewhere. We do have a dynamite-wallet owner.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think we get rolling after the bye, if we can get to 2-2 I think we will be in good shape. I think the team and coaches will work their butt off to get this team going again.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Yes, the Rams game went about as I expected.
Yes, it was a bad matchup.
Yes, it was a road game.
Yes, we're 1-1 and in a 4 way tie.
Yes, this teams will peak later.
Yes, there are better days ahead.

All that is left is the simple fact: that is one hell of a brutal way to watch your team lose a football game.

Latest posts