Someone on another board said the below, what do you think?

bellingerga

Reaction score
"Simply, I would just be real careful about how "all-in" we go to re-signing a player that really has only helped this team win by making smart decisions, not turning the ball over and being clutch."

oh... is that all. Yeah we should let him walk, because clearly those aspects are very easily replaceable.

Sac

Reaction score
pocketprotector":2sevn09n said:
SacHawk2.0":2sevn09n said:
SouthSoundHawk":2sevn09n said:
Thank the lord he's from another board.

It's obvious he rates players by stats, and doesn't understand the little things that it takes to put a good team on the field week in week out.

He'd get drummed off .NET pretty quick for such obvious trolling.

And yet a poster from this board was asking during the Conference championship game whether Seattle should draft a quarterback in the offseason to replace or challenge Wilson.

Orlly? Who? And what happened to him? I doubt it was one of the "top guys".

Wartooth

Reaction score
Looks like another fantasy football GM spouting off!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
MVP53":5jkal20i said:
It's funny how people think "just not turning the ball over" is such an easy thing. Like guys that "just don't turn the ball over" are sitting around in free agency every year. Funny, with how easy it is to find guys who "just don't turn the ball over", so many NFL teams have QBs that turn the ball over so often.

This guy sounds like a guy who is really good at fantasy football and thinks that somehow relates to professional football. What he ignores is the impact Wilson has on other guys on the team. You heard Carroll's comments after a game this year, "You guys can come in tomorrow if you want, you know the QB will be there" (something to that effect). With as competitive as guys like Earl & Sherm are, you don't think they showed up that next day?

Carroll is a players coach. That approach doesn't work without the leader of the team buying in 150%. With that said, I really doubt there are more than a small handful of guys that could have won a SB with Seattle last year. Maybe Brady, maybe Manning, maybe Brees, and that, honestly, might be it.

Lol this post is exactly right and lines up with my thinking. Oh ya the only thing Wilson does is not make mistakes by turning the ball over and make great decisions, ANY old QB can come in here and do that. Mhhhmmm....sure they can....Wilson does exactly what they ask him to do and he does it at an ELITE level.

I thought Wilson was special after his first action of preseason and I was BEGGING and PRAYING that he got his chance to beat out Flynn and start game 2 or 3 of the preseason to show what he has against the Starters. I told everyone at work he was going to be the best QB of his draft class and I think that still holds true although I think Foles is right there with him but I have to see more from Foles before I can accurately say how good he is.

Even with his early season rookie struggles he wasnt losing the game for us and we were close in all of the games with several close losses that were not the fault of Wilson.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1tkdz2m6 said:
Let's see; 8 fouth quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives (11 if you count the 2 in that Chicago game) in 2 years .

No Russ didn't put the team on his back to win XLVIII, he didn't need to, but without him we never would have been in the Super Bowl in the first place.

Dude's just trying to think out of the box ... but sometimes out of the box is into the toilet.

We didnt NEED him in the superbowl BUT he was clutch and probably one of his best performances of his career IMO. He did EXACTLY what our offense had to do which was grind the clock to keep our defense fresh and manning off the field, and not make any turnovers.

ceej22

Reaction score
This person makes some good points regarding Seattle's playing style. However, I see no mention of the games where Wilson had to take over and win it, or get damn close in the ATL game. How many QBs can come back from a 20 point deficit in the 4th to take the lead with 30 seconds left? Fact is he is NOT replaceable...well not easily replaceable. All this fool needs to do is look at the Browns, Vikings, Jaguars, etc. How long have they been looking and how many QBs have these teams tried out to no avail? This poster is a fool to the highest degree.

Threedee

Reaction score
We don't really know how good Wilson is today. What we do know is that he is about as intelligent as Manning and Brady, and as athletic as Tim Tebow. He also has a cannon for an arm, having been clocked at around 98 mph throwing a pitch.

What we do know is that Wilson is going to continue to improve over the next few years, and gradually acquire more elite receivers and enhanced blockers. Manning had a career season at age 37; Wilson is far from 37.

Perfundle

Reaction score
plyka":3tkgeyd3 said:
Point is that this poster does have a point. Show me a super bowl winner that was paying their QB $20 million or more per year. I don't think there are any. Show me a Super Bowl winning side that had a QB making 15% or more of the cap?

This isn't to say that you shouldn't pay Wilson. But if it starts to get above $20m, the decision isn't as clear. And calling the guy names like "stupid" or making cheap remarks like "doesn't know football" is a weak cop out so you don't have to argue the point. That's what ad hominum attacks are good for.
However, by 2016, which should be the first year that he'll be the highest-paid player on the team, the cap is supposed to be at $150, so even $22 million won't be 15% of the cap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As far as the suggestion of letting Russell walk, just imagine the fits of laughter you'd get from John Schneider and Pete Carroll if that were suggested to them. This is offseason nonsense and fails to take into consideration just exactly how hard it is to find quality QBs to play in the NFL. Russell is a franchise quality QB and the team will do what it needs to do to keep him here. From the base of having the franchise QB in place lots of awesome things can happen. Besides RW is only just getting started and already he's proving to be one of the best in the league at his position.

The poster's suggestion of the team just allowing Wilson to walk is simply nonsense and wouldn't happen w/o an awful lot of effort by the team to keep him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":3ole8j3s said:
Remember last year it was Beast Mode who told Russell to take over the game, and guess what, he did.

Love that point. "Russ, I think it's time for you to take over this game." Seriously, how many QBs in the NFL could someone like Marshawn Lynch say this to with a straight face? Could you imagine him saying this to Charlie Whitehurst? Matt Flynn?

HansGruber

Reaction score
Just another ignoramus who doesn't understand what they're watching.

Russell Wilson was able to keep our offense on the field for 12 minutes of the first quarter. Our defense only saw 3 minutes of the first quarter, because Russell Wilson was out there keeping our drives alive, not turning the ball over, and making smart decisions.

You don't think that helped the defense? You don't think Peyton felt rushed when he did get back on the field? That's what I saw. I saw a Peyton who was desperate to make plays because every time Russell Wilson got on the field, he chewed up at least 7 minutes (half a quarter) and put up at least 3 points ON EVERY DRIVE.

As a contrast, look at last season's Atlanta playoff loss. Our defense was garbage that day. Russell still came out and brought us back from a 21-point deficit, and would have won the game if our defense could have just stopped one single drive.

I've given up trying to explain it to the morons. They don't understand football, so why do I care? Russell will get paid because he is a once-in-a-generation talent. He'll get whatever he wants. And he'll be worth every penny.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'd also like to point out, that when needed, Russ can sling it. Miami game last year (we lost, but that was not on Russ in the least bit), and The Carolina game, this year. We literally had no run game in those games, and Russell did his thing to give us a chance, or to help win.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":cdl5pywe said:
He already has shown he can carry the team. 8 4th comebacks, 10 game winning drives in 2 years.

Just because he isn't asked to carry the team every game doesn't mean that he can't.

Some perspective:

Aaron Rodgers has 6 4th quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives.

Tom Brady: 31&42

Peyton Manning 40&51

Brady and Manning have been in the league 15+ years. 7X as long with Manning having about 5X Wilsons #
So 56/70 on the low end very interesting.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Anthony!":2uz209oa said:
Simply, I would just be real careful about how "all-in" we go to re-signing a player that really has ONLY helped this team win by making smart decisions, not turning the ball over and being clutch.

My brain just exploded. Romo and Flacco get $20 mill a year and we have a QB who is ONLY clutch so we should let him walk.

:177692: