Someone on another board said the below, what do you think?

two dog

Reaction score
The writer must have missed the '12 Bears game and the '13 Texans game as well.
It was more than amazing to see this kid take the team on his shoulders and,
seemingly by force of will, pull out the win.

There's a hell of a lot more to playing quarterback than just throwing the ball.

Mick063

Reaction score
Last thing we need is Seattle "fans" perpetuating myth.

Give Russell as many attempts as Luck and his numbers would be staggering.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Mick063":396jj1vt said:

but the national guys think they're not even close. Must be true

Seafan

Reaction score
We don't know what kind of performace we'd see if RW were forced to become the focal point of the offense. With average blockers and short receivers who can't always get separation it's difficult to predict what would happen. I do know that RW is a hall of fame human being and leader and fits this offense perfectly. He is respected by the organization and will get locked up long term. I also believe we haven't seen the best of him yet. And I also believe with better protection, taller receivers, and quicker separation the passing game with RW can become dominant if necessary. Some teams look a long long time to find a franchise QB. When you find that pearl of great price you don't let it go. They are in short supply.

Escamillo

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3m6a4dcs said:
Mick063":3m6a4dcs said:

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, if they think that (as I said earlier, Cosell multiple times goes on and on about how the consensus among NFL coaches is that RW is an above average game manager), then RW might not be able to command 20 million per year on the open market, that's the point.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Seafan":1x32dfmf said:
We don't know what kind of performace we'd see if RW were forced to become the focal point of the offense. With average blockers and short receivers who can't always get separation it's difficult to predict what would happen. I do know that RW is a hall of fame human being and leader and fits this offense perfectly. He is respected by the organization and will get locked up long term. I also believe we haven't seen the best of him yet. And I also believe with better protection, taller receivers, and quicker separation the passing game with RW can become dominant if necessary. Some teams look a long long time to find a franchise QB. When you find that pearl of great price you don't let it go. They are in short supply.

Do we want RW to become "focal point of the offense" more than he already is? As someone posted above, the Pats won their SBs without Brady as the focal point or huge salary. Ever since they gave him a huge salary and demanded that he carry the team on his shoulders without a decent defense, they've not won a SB. I think it's better to have a balanced team than have one guy have to carry the team on his back. I agree RW will get better and better. But if that necessitates gutting the team to keep him, then his getting better and better would not result in the team itself doing likewise.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":1jlsx3bl said:
-The Glove-":1jlsx3bl said:
Mick063":1jlsx3bl said:

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, if they think that (as I said earlier, Cosell multiple times goes on and on about how the consensus among NFL coaches is that RW is an above average game manager), then RW might not be able to command 20 million per year on the open market, that's the point.

True except for every person that supposedly thinks the way Cosell's supposed people think, I have heard other directly say the exact opposite. You should google what coaches around the league are saying, you will find very few that say what Cosell says they say. He will command whatever the going rate is, and we will pay it.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":am4puahh said:
Seafan":am4puahh said:

Do we want RW to become "focal point of the offense" more than he already is? As someone posted above, the Pats won their SBs without Brady as the focal point or huge salary. Ever since they gave him a huge salary and demanded that he carry the team on his shoulders without a decent defense, they've not won a SB. I think it's better to have a balanced team than have one guy have to carry the team on his back. I agree RW will get better and better. But if that necessitates gutting the team to keep him, then his getting better and better would not result in the team itself doing likewise.

And yet without a franchise QB you will not even be in the hunt for a SB. Every team but 2 in the playoffs last year either had a Franchise QB, or a young gun ready to be a franchise QB. You mention Brady and some of what you say is true, but on the other hand they are in the hunt and playoffs every year. Without Brady they would not be. Same holds true for us and RW.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think that someone has a very distorted understanding of how PC runs a game and also how effective RW is as a passer.

The Hawks play the way they do because they can' period. They have proven that they can win through the air and also proven they can make big comebacks without altering their game plan much.

I always laugh when people claim that RW is struggling because he didn't throw for numbers. The Hawks offense is as dangerous as it gets. They can do whatever they want, but they always go for control and defense. This thinking got the Niners a 13-3 season, but that is because they rarely had to rely on a clutch performance from a QB.

It is difficult to build a team like the Hawks and even more difficult to beat a team like the Hawks. As players come and go, PC will adjust to the team's strength. Every time.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3568u5uv said:
I think that person is an idiot. Not just a normal run of the mill idiot, but a very special idiot. He's like the Muhammad Ali of idiots, the Mother Theresa of idiots, the Albert Einstein of idiots.
This may be the best quote of the off season. Lord knows I enjoyed reading this.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Anthony!":1dht8hga said:
Escamillo":1dht8hga said:
-The Glove-":1dht8hga said:
Mick063":1dht8hga said:

True except for every person that supposedly thinks the way Cosell's supposed people think, I have heard other directly say the exact opposite. You should google what coaches around the league are saying, you will find very few that say what Cosell says they say. He will command whatever the going rate is, and we will pay it.

But Cosell is saying that what the coaches say in private is different from what they say in public. Of course no coach is going to rip RW in public. But that doesn't necessarily indicate what they think in private or what they think RW is worth in terms of a salary.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Anthony!":7pdo35ae said:
Escamillo":7pdo35ae said:
Seafan":7pdo35ae said:

And yet without a franchise QB you will not even be in the hunt for a SB. Every team but 2 in the playoffs last year either had a Franchise QB, or a young gun ready to be a franchise QB. You mention Brady and some of what you say is true, but on the other hand they are in the hunt and playoffs every year. Without Brady they would not be. Same holds true for us and RW.

I agree that NE is in the "hunt" every year because they have Brady. BUt I don't want to just be in the hunt, I want Lombardis, I want rings. I'm greedy now. :D
But the larger point is, that's Brady. What about the other high-priced QBs? Is Chicago in the hunt every year because they have a 20 million per year "franchise QB"? Is SD, Dallas, StL, Balt, NYG in the hunt every year because they have high-priced QBs? No. Having a high-priced QB does not guarantee being in the hunt every year. Having Brady does. THe argument most here are making is that having RW guarantees being in the hunt every year, therefore he's worth 20 million, even if that means gutting other parts of the team. I'm not there yet. And I won't be there until I see a team with a 18 million or more QB win a SB.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Escamillo":py3afpzr said:
Anthony!":py3afpzr said:
Escamillo":py3afpzr said:
Seafan":py3afpzr said:

I agree that NE is in the "hunt" every year because they have Brady. BUt I don't want to just be in the hunt, I want Lombardis, I want rings. I'm greedy now. :D
But the larger point is, that's Brady. What about the other high-priced QBs? Is Chicago in the hunt every year because they have a 20 million per year "franchise QB"? Is SD, Dallas, StL, Balt, NYG in the hunt every year because they have high-priced QBs? No. Having a high-priced QB does not guarantee being in the hunt every year. Having Brady does. THe argument most here are making is that having RW guarantees being in the hunt every year, therefore he's worth 20 million, even if that means gutting other parts of the team. I'm not there yet. And I won't be there until I see a team with a 18 million or more QB win a SB.

The pats are also in the hunt because their division has for the most part been God awful. The bills have been terrible for forever. The Dolphins had a good year here and there but for the most part have been a .500 or so team. The jets had a few years where they went deep into the playoffs but outside of that have not been very good either.

kf3339

Reaction score
I saw an interview after the Super Bowl game with PC where he asked how many pass attempts RW made in the game. When told it was 25 he said "Perfect. That is exactly what I wanted to happen". Or it was very close to those words.

The point is that RW is running the offense as PC has dictated at this point. If PC wants to up the percentage of pass to run attempts he can do so at any time.

So what does that have to do with RW being a franchise QB or getting paid the market rate? It's because PC and JS know they have the guy who can run the offense to it's best efficiency and for them that will be worth $15-20 million per year. You can pretty much book that will happen next off season. I also think the number will be on the lower end of that range the first few years since I think RW is smart enough to realize he needs all of the other core guys to keep us in the Super Bowl hunt for the next few years, at least.

Last, as for other coaches or analyst's opinions around the league who cares what they think.

monkey

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":185o4cp8 said:
The biggest flaw in the logic is thinking that he won't continue to improve. He isn't the type of QB people will apply the "MVP Passer" label to, but he's also in his 2nd year. Give him another year or two with some decent receivers and he very well could be at that point.

Funny how being successful so quickly has led to so many nay-sayers. If he doesn't win that SB, he's "right where he should be." But now that he has a ring, it's not because of him since he didn't throw for 300 yards a game.

I completely agree with your assessment, my problem is with the fact that people think he's in need of so much improvement...http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co..._medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com
Statistically speaking, he's had the greatest two year start of ANY QB EVER, (with the possible exception of Dan Marino, depending on how It's pretty hard to improve on true greatness.

The real problem as I see it, is that people are VASTLY underestimating and underrating Russell Wilson.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So they think he is average... How would Dilfer, Flacco, Manning the lesser faired behind the offensive line that Russ played behind half of last season? I don't think any one of them would have won a game and I consider each of them better than average QB's.