Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Seattle will get a team, when all other teams that need a new arena, get their arenas. We are a bargaining chip, and you don't give up your chips until there is nothing else to gain.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ShyCheetah":3kndsz34 said:
The Great One has entered the building...or at least the conversation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456459

Shy
I love this happening because it puts a face that politics can use to sway things behind scenes..Great move by the NHL..I think the duel use arena just gained a little more traction..They want us and that means something..

drdiags

Reaction score
I just saw this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsBizNews/status/504448356584677377[/tweet]

So Seattle is getting a team in 2017? Congrats if true!

EDIT: Bob Condotta re-tweeted this but I don't see anything on ESPN so I think this is just some insider speculation type action.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
drdiags":174t5djl said:
I just saw this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsBizNews/status/504448356584677377[/tweet]

So Seattle is getting a team in 2017? Congrats if true!

EDIT: Bob Condotta re-tweeted this but I don't see anything on ESPN so I think this is just some insider speculation type action.
I pray to the Hockey Gods that this be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Hmm, this has got to get the NBA's attention if true, they know the market and doubt they want to be upstaged, be interesting over the next few weeks or months what materializes.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't see it without the stadium being built first. He justifies it by saying money talks but it won't be easy to alter the understanding. If they can't alter that, where do they play? Seems too good to be true.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1gitjawb said:
I don't see it without the stadium being built first. He justifies it by saying money talks but it won't be easy to alter the understanding. If they can't alter that, where do they play? Seems too good to be true.

Expansion doesn't happen right away, just the paperwork of a team gets the arena built. Takes a few years to get things going for expansion teams.

This is good news, really good news for nba fans and 'specially nhl fans. This comes after Hansen joined forced with an NHL dude.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If NHL comes, NBA comes. NBA will want a cut of that market from the NHL, grudge or no grudge.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop since the Sac situation so excuse my ignorance, but why can't they have some sort of formal contract in place with the NBA or NHL where a team is guaranteed to Seattle if the arena gets built?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Writing in The Province, Tony Gallagher says that stance has changed. Expansion he says is not only happening, but in one of the unlikeliest of destinations:

Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.

Gallagher then goes on to suggest the league might be hard-pressed to limit expansion to just two teams. One of the others, presumably, would land in Seattle, a city that has been at the center of expansion rumors for the past year. Vancouver-born billionaire Victor Coleman has been identified as someone interested in bringing an NHL club to the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report ... -done-deal

Also, Toronto gets another team...?

A

Anonymous

Question:

What's wrong with Key Arena?

signed,
Somebody that moved away 15 years ago.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3pxol0pk said:
Question:

What's wrong with Key Arena?

signed,
Somebody that moved away 15 years ago.

Small, not at all an NHL arena, sight lines are just not there for hockey. For basketball it's fine for a short term, but it's not enough to be modern with the NBA standard.