Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Maulbert":1bkzwixa said:
Blitzer88":1bkzwixa said:
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/russell-wilson-lets-bring-the-sonics-back-to-seattle/

What a great piece from Russell!

Wait, was Russ seriously a Sonics fan growing up?

From his article, seems to be the case.

rigelian

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1msytaoy said:
I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.
I can guarantee you if this was about a new art museum it would be rubber stamped thru the city council.
I see no ineptness. I see a local constituency that isn't all that interested, meaning the city of Seattle. I see a power constituent that doesn't want the project. Quite frankly, I see nothing at all that looks inept.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
rigelian":1pz8kmct said:
Sports Hernia":1pz8kmct said:
I don't think it was anyone's intention to change their minds but to voice displeasure of their ineptness and failing at their job.
I can guarantee you if this was about a new art museum it would be rubber stamped thru the city council.
I see no ineptness. I see a local constituency that isn't all that interested, meaning the city of Seattle. I see a power constituent that doesn't want the project. Quite frankly, I see nothing at all that looks inept.

Not hard to SEE why.

Stevie Wonder

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rigelian":2zew9gip said:
Sports Hernia":2zew9gip said:

Well, I completely disagree. ....but you are entitled to your opinion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rigelian":3kdpg5y1 said:
Sports Hernia":3kdpg5y1 said:

I see most of the city council in the back pocket of the port and a political ax to grind with rich people who want to build arenas for other rich people.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
KUOW Public RadioVerified account
‏@KUOW
.@MayorEdMurray: I'm willing to work with anyone who's going to bring us a team. Chris Hansen is not going to do it #KUOWrecord

Mayor not behind Hansen now?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":27c12n3d said:
KUOW Public RadioVerified account
‏@KUOW
.@MayorEdMurray: I'm willing to work with anyone who's going to bring us a team. Chris Hansen is not going to do it #KUOWrecord

Mayor not behind Hansen now?

I can't see any way the Mayor would say this in public, what purpose does it serve to call out Hansen and his group.

Gotta be fake.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Here's the full statement

CzwDkQOUUAAcFHO

I think it's being taken incorrectly. What Murray is saying to me is Hansen isn't going to bring Seattle a team because the league won't give him one without an arena........and the city won't give him the arena without the team.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

Who is the big financial backer who would own the Sonics, whether from Sodo or Seattle Center? It used to be Ballmer.

Wonder if Bezos would ever come on board given the amount of Amazon development downtown and near Seattle center.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":250qxbb8 said:
The thing is though, Lewieke can't own a team either due to NBA rules, he's only wanting to build/own any new key arena?

He wouldn't own Key Arena either, that would still be owned by the city and county.

Which IMO is the REAL issue going on here. The city and county know that if they approve a new SODO arena, it signs the death certificate on Key Arena ever being a viable profitable arena. It'd be nothing but a gigantic albatross sucking up tax dollars to keep open not making money.

That's what they want, a group to come in, pay for all the improvements to Key Arena, and then find tenants (NHL/NBA).

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gmccpvc0 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":gmccpvc0 said:

He wouldn't own Key Arena either, that would still be owned by the city and county.

Which IMO is the REAL issue going on here. The city and county know that if they approve a new SODO arena, it signs the death certificate on Key Arena ever being a viable profitable arena. It'd be nothing but a gigantic albatross sucking up tax dollars to keep open not making money.

That's what they want, a group to come in, pay for all the improvements to Key Arena, and then find tenants (NHL/NBA).

I just don't see how they can make it work. I get Key Arena would be totally rebuilt, but they would need to increase the footprint of the arena and theres the water table issues. On top of that, since the Sonics left the city has grown a ton. Places around Seattle center where people used to park are now condos. Mercer St is also still a mess.

The city should just tell Hansen, Sodo street will be vacated if they pay for the demolition of key arena and have an alternative use for the site.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":15iic2hq said:
Sgt. Largent":15iic2hq said:
Glasgow Seahawk":15iic2hq said:

I just don't see how they can make it work. I get Key Arena would be totally rebuilt, but they would need to increase the footprint of the arena and theres the water table issues. On top of that, since the Sonics left the city has grown a ton. Places around Seattle center where people used to park are now condos. Mercer St is also still a mess.

The city should just tell Hansen, Sodo street will be vacated if they pay for the demolition of key arena and have an alternative use for the site.

That's the hypocrisy, the councils won't vacate one side street barely anyone uses because it messes with the port.........but I guarantee you they'll approve someone moving heaven and earth to enlarge the footprint or do whatever needs to be done to make Key viable for the NHL and NBA.

It's all one big joke. If I was Hansen I'd turn every piece of property I bought into the world's largest strip club and outdoor flea market driving down property values.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3u5h8upn said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3u5h8upn said:
Sgt. Largent":3u5h8upn said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3u5h8upn said:

That's the hypocrisy, the councils won't vacate one side street barely anyone uses because it messes with the port.........but I guarantee you they'll approve someone moving heaven and earth to enlarge the footprint or do whatever needs to be done to make Key viable for the NHL and NBA.

It's all one big joke. If I was Hansen I'd turn every piece of property I bought into the world's largest strip club and outdoor flea market driving down property values.

I have a feeling Murray might not win the election next year, especially with the homelessness problem and family housing shortage having got worse under him. Being anti SODO could also go against him.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The 2017 Seattle mayoral election will be held on November 7, 2017, to elect the mayor of Seattle. Incumbent mayor Ed Murray has announced that he will seek a second term in office.

Mark your calendar's folks. Time to vote this idiot out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hansen should buy Key Arena and turn it in to a Tent City park, that would fix those ( word used in the shack) heads.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":h3zqikn7 said:
http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/article/were-bringing-em-back?platform=hootsuite

New update from Hansen.

http://www.heraldnet.com/sports/thiel-d ... =hootsuite

And new article from Art Thiel.

I know this all stinks, but my feeling is whatever and whoever helps bring the NBA back and possibly the NHL, I'm all for.

I love Hansen and what's he's tried to do, but the mayor and councils have make it loud and clear they're not really down with a new arena any other place than Key Arena.

IMO Hansen should get in bed with Lieweke and try to make a Key Arena renovation possible, and THEN go after a team........cause this standoff between the port, Hansen and political councils and mayor isn't going to do anything but add another 10 years onto this venture.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Ed Murray has been a disaster for Seattle, but so have a handful of council members. Kshama Sawant, for example, is one of the worst possible representatives for her ideology and hasn't effectively campaigned for or voted for anything that will solve the numerous problems that come from sudden population increase in a place that has limited land for expanding housing or roads.

The kowtowing to the PoS, which transparently just wants Hansen to sell that land to them and move out of the way, and to the Mariners (the latter of which for reasons that are completely beyond me) is shameful. If this were legitimately an issue of jobs at the port, I'd be fine with the obstruction, but it so clearly isn't about that that it's absurd.

I am a guy who is against about ninety percent of arena deals as they are currently constructed in this country, but the SoDo deal is at worst a net-neutral for Seattle. There's not a reason to hinder it.

Latest posts