Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":7ya8wmnu said:
There's not a reason to hinder it.

Read what I wrote above, the reason is our shady politicians want a profitable Key Arena, as well as making the port happy.

So no way in hell they're ever going to get behind Hansen and sign a death warrant on Key ever making money.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Yep, the better the SoDo deal is(100% privately funded), the more Hansen pushes it, the more the public wants it....

the more transparent its becoming that Murray and several council members are openly opposing it due to the KeyArena.

It seemed Bagshaw was the only honest one from the beginning, we all knew she was a proponent of the Key, the Key is her baby, she'll fight tooth and nail to defeat any new arena.

But the others were hiding their motivations (or who pulls their strings, the port), especially Murray. Well now its out in the open what he truly wants. He's just been lying about it.

Does that seem to be a fair statement?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1yk03jyp said:
Yep, the better the SoDo deal is(100% privately funded), the more Hansen pushes it, the more the public wants it....

the more transparent its becoming that Murray and several council members are openly opposing it due to the KeyArena.

It seemed Bagshaw was the only honest one from the beginning, we all knew she was a proponent of the Key, the Key is her baby, she'll fight tooth and nail to defeat any new arena.

But the others were hiding their motivations (or who pulls their strings, the port), especially Murray. Well now its out in the open what he truly wants. He's just been lying about it.

Does that seem to be a fair statement?

I don't see any evil intention on Murray's part. I've listened to a few interviews he's done on the arena now, and he just seems like he's being pragmatic about the the entire thing.

He's personally spoken with both councils, Hansen, Lieweke and the NBA...........and it's obvious he's come to the conclusion that the only plan that's going to work for all parties (other than Hansen) is to try and do something with Key Arena.

The NBA isn't even going to consider helping Hansen get a team until there's an arena deal in place, and Murray and the councils aren't going to put their weight behind Hansen because they want Key Arena to be remodeled/rebuilt so it can be a viable profitable publicly funded arena.

IMO if Hansen was smart he'd ditch the arena and get in bed with Lieweke's group, they have the power, momentum and influence to make all this happen. Hansen wouldn't own the arena, but if he ever wants a team, this is the only way it's going to happen it seems.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think he just needs to wait Murray and a few CC members are voted out of office.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why can't the city just sell Key/property to Hansen?Take it off the tax payers hands since it is nothing but a money pit.The City allows him to build a new arena in that spot to hold NBA/NHL.He sells SODO property to offset the cost of doing this.

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":27wvlufq said:
Why can't the city just sell Key/property to Hansen?Take it off the tax payers hands since it is nothing but a money pit.The City allows him to build a new arena in that spot to hold NBA/NHL.He sells SODO property to offset the cost of doing this.

Because they would not have any excuses then.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":34xictar said:
I think he just needs to wait Murray and a few CC members are voted out of office.

Problem is the councils are going the other way, not more arena friendly. Burgess is not seeking re-election next year, and he was one of the good guys.

I just don't see this happening any other way, Hansen has to get in bed with Lieweke and the mayor and try to make it happen with Key Arena.

chris98251

Reaction score
The city of Seattle wants their cakes and then dictate what type of frosting and then eat it too, they own it and know the people want a NBA team and a NHL team, it's losing money, lock up all other proposals and create issues and they hope to force someone to pay for renovation to get a franchise, they then can lease the rights to multiple tenants, and brag on the election cycle on how they saved a Seattle Landmark, made it profitable and brought the NBA and NHL to Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pretty much what I've been saying.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... -together/

With how hostile the political climate is right now for Hansen, and the changed landscape of the insane amount the NBA and NHL are asking for expansion franchises? Seems like the only solution is for Lieweke and Hansen to team up and try and make something happen with Key.

Not ideal whatsoever with so many people involved.........but alas it seems like the only way this thing happens.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ddszwr5 said:
Pretty much what I've been saying.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... -together/

With how hostile the political climate is right now for Hansen, and the changed landscape of the insane amount the NBA and NHL are asking for expansion franchises? Seems like the only solution is for Lieweke and Hansen to team up and try and make something happen with Key.

Not ideal whatsoever with so many people involved.........but alas it seems like the only way this thing happens.

Only issue is with how much time, effort and money Chris has put into the endeavor already I do not think there is a chance at all that he would suddenly being working with the Key Arena group.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I didn't realize until later just how bad this Key thing was..King County taxpayers own Key Arena correct?It just blows my mind how the City thinks they own it and thats that..I'd think if the taxpayers own it then the tax payers can find a way to make it go "bye bye" (boom) like the Dome..I don't live there so I may be off on this

hawkfan68

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3arug6qr said:
The 2017 Seattle mayoral election will be held on November 7, 2017, to elect the mayor of Seattle. Incumbent mayor Ed Murray has announced that he will seek a second term in office.

Mark your calendar's folks. Time to vote this idiot out.

Same thing was said about Chris Gregoire a few years ago (after she was instrumental in losing the Sonics) yet she got another term. Unfortunately idiots like Murray, Sawant, etc have safe haven in Seattle and State of Washington.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":8p2z7hrm said:
I didn't realize until later just how bad this Key thing was..King County taxpayers own Key Arena correct?It just blows my mind how the City thinks they own it and thats that..I'd think if the taxpayers own it then the tax payers can find a way to make it go "bye bye" (boom) like the Dome..I don't live there so I may be off on this

It's semantics. When the mayor say's "we" own it, he means the taxpayers..............and you don't just blow up the one venue in your city that can host huge concerts and events.

That's why he and the councils are so adamant that they want something done with Key with all these NBA proposals.

It's sad, and messed up, but it's not surprising. Some billionaire wants to build an amazing arena in your city to house millionaires that will spend money, employ people and contribute tens of millions to your tax base through tenancy with the NBA/NHL and concerts..........and all you can think about is "well, what do we do with Key Arena?"

chris98251

Reaction score
Well those on the council at the time said poetry sessions and other events would fund it going forward, bragged about it, now they want to have someone else pay for upgrading and residency. It can't make money like the Sodo can, they don't have the parking to support a NBA / NHL Arena in the area, additional revenue the Sodo would be giving to the city as well.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Key arena is dead. Seattle needs to accept it and take the loss and move on.

The key doesn't even get events or concerts anymore, they all go to the Tacoma Dome bout a block away from the East Side of Tacoma. Sad when they'd rather hold concerts and events in that area rather than Seattle Center because Key Arena is just that out dated.

NBA is never coming back, I've accepted it

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":222wy585 said:

The key doesn't even get events or concerts anymore, they all go to the Tacoma Dome bout a block away from the East Side of Tacoma. Sad when they'd rather hold concerts and events in that area rather than Seattle Center because Key Arena is just that out dated.

The Key still gets quite a few concerts.........but yes if it's at the Tacoma Dome the artist and promoting company list as the main reason they didn't go to Key is it's virtually impossible to get their big rigs and equipment in and out of the city and the loading bays behind Key.

Much easier to just pull off of I5 in Tacoma to the T-Dome that's literally right next to the freeway.

Which is another reason Hansen wants his arena in SoDo, easy freeway access.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Are they really talking about protecting Key Arenas roof as a historical feature? Really? It's only 50 years old. When you think of Seattle you think of the space needle, pike market, grunge music, tech and coffee. Not that piece of crap arena. They literally pull down buildings from the 1960's in Europe without thinking twice, mainly cause most were crappily built and are ugly.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2bdecxoa said:
Are they really talking about protecting Key Arenas roof as a historical feature? Really? It's only 50 years old. When you think of Seattle you think of the space needle, pike market, grunge music, tech and coffee. Not that piece of crap arena. They literally pull down buildings from the 1960's in Europe without thinking twice, mainly cause most were crappily built and are ugly.

I head a quote from one of the SCC members, Juarez maybe?

She said the Key was a ''state jewel''. :roll:

It's all so ridiculous. No one cares about the Key, its not historical, its nothing special, it's only 'special' in the eyes of some city officials because its owned by the city.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28hatvx4 said:
Throwdown":28hatvx4 said:

The Key still gets quite a few concerts.........but yes if it's at the Tacoma Dome the artist and promoting company list as the main reason they didn't go to Key is it's virtually impossible to get their big rigs and equipment in and out of the city and the loading bays behind Key.

Much easier to just pull off of I5 in Tacoma to the T-Dome that's literally right next to the freeway.

Which is another reason Hansen wants his arena in SoDo, easy freeway access.
I heard it was loading bay (as in one) that the Key has. I remember KC talking about it on his radio show a few years back.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Starting to think that Mike Salk was right with his comments today and that Hansons arena plan is dead and has been since the street vacation got denied. The city clearly don't want him and I think a lot of politicians believe he doesn't have the financial weight now that Ballmer is out.

I think they'll rebuild key arena some how, no matter how inferior it is to SODO and politicians will ignore all the complains about traffic etc.

My concern is that the bidders come back and say that they can make the Key 'a world class music venue' but that it cant support a sports franchise. I think the city would proceed with that plan as they want to Key arena fixed, in turn killing all NBA/NHL hopes as they wouldn't allow another arena at SODO to compete in case it took away those acts.

Latest posts