Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Exittium

Reaction score
chris98251":2n2gbvz9 said:
Mets are already taken again, would like something original.

I think whoever has it currently should be force to give it up and rename or sell it(name not team), as its our city that won the US's 1st Stanley cup, so it should be Seattle that gets the recognition for it.. like when they 1st take the ice kind of thing as an intro "You Seattle Metropolitans where the 1st US team in 1916 to win the Stanley Cup, and now here they are again your 2014/15/16 (whatever year) Seattle Metropolitans .. *cue music* *cue the announcer announcing players taking the ice* and all that cool stuff we like to do in Seattle. I get what your saying but.. I think for historical things i.e. people saying we haven't won a Stanley cup.. we did.. haha in 1916!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":11bntfoj said:
Please, please, please, please, please don't be jerkin' my chain here: http://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-nhl-expansion-announcement-happen-within-weeks/

I really hate getting my hopes up. I really do. Still, I can't help getting a bit excited over the prospect.

And as for that $275 million? I'd absolutely love it if they offered it up to common joes as stock-type purchases, like the Green Bay Packers. Raise the money easily, and let us all own a part of it.

Well thats interesting.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1tm5v3u0 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1tm5v3u0 said:
Please, please, please, please, please don't be jerkin' my chain here: http://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-nhl-expansion-announcement-happen-within-weeks/

I really hate getting my hopes up. I really do. Still, I can't help getting a bit excited over the prospect.

And as for that $275 million? I'd absolutely love it if they offered it up to common joes as stock-type purchases, like the Green Bay Packers. Raise the money easily, and let us all own a part of it.

Well thats interesting.

Please please please please.... :pray:

drdiags

Reaction score
Hope the NHL expansion possibility ends better than that Sactown fiasco. I would buy a couple season tickets just to help get them off the ground. Got a few Canuck friends, one is from Edmonton and still plays league hockey in his late 40's. The other guy is originally from Vancouver, BC. So I could hang out with one of them or donate my tickets like I do with Seahawks season tickets.

I would do the same for the NBA if they ever return while I am alive. Mariners, let me think about it some more. Love the stadium though.

Throwdown

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/othersport ... 28xml.html

The Ballmer-Hansen duo is the wild card, since they united two years ago to build a SoDo arena that would house an NBA franchise. All eyes are on whether Ballmer-Hansen would consider becoming hockey owners in an arena where basketball might not happen for years.

I wouldn't mind hockey, but not at the possibility of losing Hansen's interest in owning an NBA team.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Throwdown":23vetopl said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/othersports/2023010707_nhlinseattle28xml.html

The Ballmer-Hansen duo is the wild card, since they united two years ago to build a SoDo arena that would house an NBA franchise. All eyes are on whether Ballmer-Hansen would consider becoming hockey owners in an arena where basketball might not happen for years.

I wouldn't mind hockey, but not at the possibility of losing Hansen's interest in owning an NBA team.

I doubt Hansen would be losing interest. I think it's more likely that they see it as an easy way to get the arena built. Shovels in ground = less reason for the NBA to dilly-dally.

It also would allow Hansen to get the arena done before shifts in the mayor's office or City Council kill the deal. Finally, if they own the hockey team instead of Bartozek or whoever, the CC might be more willing to change the MOU.

If it's true that the Democratic Party has Seattle on the shortlist to host the 2016 DNC, but that they want the new arena to do it in, Hansen might also want to move along with the building of the arena for that reason. It would be a heck of a high-profile way to show off his new digs.

Basically, the NBA has shown how little they care about being here, but NBA fans want the arena built for when they get around to it, so Hansen is going to try to accommodate y'all through other means.

Say what you will about Bettman, but at least the guy WANTS to be in Seattle. Stern/Silver want to be in Sacramento, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City instead. That makes sense to no one but Stern and Silver.

(From what I have read and heard, the Seattle NHL team is pretty much a done deal unless the arena location somehow fails the environmental survey next month.)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":21y0fbga said:
Throwdown":21y0fbga said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/othersports/2023010707_nhlinseattle28xml.html

I doubt Hansen would be losing interest. I think it's more likely that they see it as an easy way to get the arena built. Shovels in ground = less reason for the NBA to dilly-dally.

It also would allow Hansen to get the arena done before shifts in the mayor's office or City Council kill the deal. Finally, if they own the hockey team instead of Bartozek or whoever, the CC might be more willing to change the MOU.

If it's true that the Democratic Party has Seattle on the shortlist to host the 2016 DNC, but that they want the new arena to do it in, Hansen might also want to move along with the building of the arena for that reason. It would be a heck of a high-profile way to show off his new digs.

Basically, the NBA has shown how little they care about being here, but NBA fans want the arena built for when they get around to it, so Hansen is going to try to accommodate y'all through other means.

Say what you will about Bettman, but at least the guy WANTS to be in Seattle. Stern/Silver want to be in Sacramento, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City instead. That makes sense to no one but Stern and Silver.

(From what I have read and heard, the Seattle NHL team is pretty much a done deal unless the arena location somehow fails the environmental survey next month.)

Maybe hockey would be a gateway sport for the return of the NBA. We need to get Throwdown some skates.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
The Seattle newspapers are going to be tough on you. And retiring as NBa commissioner is very, very hard on people who relocate teams. If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2d02g1lv said:
twisted_steel2":2d02g1lv said:
Does seem things are happening behind the scenes. :th2thumbs:

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2014/2/28/5 ... eoff-baker

Isn't that what happened last time?

Stuff happening behind the scenes... so we got our hopes up, started celebrating, then Stern crushed our dreams and ripped out our hearts and then stomped on them in front of us laughing? Yea.

Dude, but this is different.... its the NHL. See?

I don't know man, I cant help myself I get excited, cant help it. I know I shouldn't until I see some rich dude in a suit on ESPN making the official announcement. Oh well. :Dunno:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The NHL actually wants to be in Seattle and has for years, however. Not exactly the same as Stern pursuing small-market one-horse towns with only one pro team that he can then hold up for new arenas every decade.

The NHL wants to be big time through its cities like the NFL does (see the latter wanting to eventually get back into L.A. and get to London).

The NBA would rather be big time through promoting individual stars, in which case the cities they play in don't really matter as much, so why not pick desperate cities that will make potentially bankrupting arena deals to keep their teams?