Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

chris98251

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":37btvw2c said:
AEG bid 'may require some public financing'. Should be a hell no but knowing this city.

Hansen's fully funded, City Plan wants public money, now there is a twist.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":jlb8bkjt said:
I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.
Its much worse now, they've said that two thirds of the parking since 2008 is gone, replaced by condos which = more people which = more population density and that area. Add the fact the city has messed up the streets and traffic flow around that area and you have a craptastic traffic and parking nightmare.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1tatvjvg said:
Hawk-Lock":1tatvjvg said:
I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.
Its much worse now, they've said that two thirds of the parking since 2008 is gone, replaced by condos which = more people which = more population density and that area. Add the fact the city has messed up the streets and traffic flow around that area and you have a craptastic traffic and parking nightmare.

I don't think anyone isn't aware of the logistical nightmare of parking in and around Key Arena, no matter how much smoke our mayor and councils blow up our asses.

But if this is the only way this is gonna happen? Then I'm in with both feet. This dog and pony show has already gone on years too long.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I just want the Sonics back. I've been missing them a bunch lately. And I live in the Chicagoland area, so I don't give a crap about traffic problems.

randomation

Reaction score
The NBA would likely be fine with Key as a temp home while the real one was built but not as a final home more than likely it would be the 4th smallest arena in the league. Especially when they know Hansen's plan exists. All this is doing is screwing up the plan that could actually get both the NHL and the NBA.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I want Hansen's proposal. Parking WAY better, out of the traffic HELL of downtown Seattle, and he had the passion to start the whole argument. I fear that the idiotic, chick-heavy city council will kill Hansen's superior proposal for no other reason but putting the the Key to use. Personally, they could Kingdome the arena for all I care. There was a reason that the Arena plan was wiped off the table initially. God I hate the leadership in this City sometimes...

randomation

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3lp569ip said:
I'm not paying much attention to this whole arena thing. Can someone please give me a brief summary on why Ed Murray and other politicians don't want Hansen's deal? And why do they love the idea of the Key Arena so much? The obvious answer that comes to mind is that Hansen's arena would basically make the Key Arena empty, but why not two arenas?

Everything I've seen is this all stems back to the port same reason the street vacation didn't go through.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Arena in SODO interferes with Murray's homeless villages in SODO. Anything to benefit and develop the city is just not in Murray's agenda unless it involves holding hands with Inslee and bringing in foreigners. If Murray does what the people want, he'll lose his special interest and donor funding from They Who We Do Not Speak Of. This arena thing is all political.

Seattle needs a drain the swamp of their own.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
randomation":13g8z3h9 said:
The NBA would likely be fine with Key as a temp home while the real one was built but not as a final home more than likely it would be the 4th smallest arena in the league. Especially when they know Hansen's plan exists. All this is doing is screwing up the plan that could actually get both the NHL and the NBA.

There's no way AEG or Oakview submitted proposals that don't accommodate both the NHL and NBA.

To me this is a slam dunk, pardon the pun...............in 2-3 months the mayor and councils will hold a press conference and announce that one of these groups won the bid to build their new state of the art facility and renovate the surrounding area in and around Key Arena.

They have no choice, Key Arena has been an albatross around their necks for decades, they're desperate to get that area of the city fixed. So even our idiot mayor and councils can't screw this up. They WILL choose one of these groups.

Which means within another 2-3 years we should have at least a NBA or NHL team, if not both.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ikbvpmd said:

Because the Key is a public building that's a piece of crap decaying before our very eyes, and they desperately want that area renovated, and now they have two monster power broker groups fighting over who will pay for it.

It's as simple as that. They never wanted any part of Hansen, because he isn't interested in renovating or building his arena where they Key is.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum the most out of all the venues the Sonics played in. Key Arena included. It was better than the Tacoma Dome and the Kingdome for sure. Something about the Colissieum was special to me.

Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name but tell me ya'll didn't get pumped hearing how loud that arena was? sure did! I was only a kid then and maybe it's nostalgia but I remember going to a circus in the coliseum seeing those Sonics 1979 banner on the rafters and the golden tiles on the ceiling. It was cool to me. I hope the next arena add the bronze/golden tiles on the ceilings too. Lol

With all that said. Let the past be the past. In with the new and I'm down with Team Hansen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33rgyx7d said:
Hawk-Lock":33rgyx7d said:

Because the Key is a public building that's a piece of crap decaying before our very eyes, and they desperately want that area renovated, and now they have two monster power broker groups fighting over who will pay for it.

It's as simple as that. They never wanted any part of Hansen, because he isn't interested in renovating or building his arena where they Key is.

Just listened to an interview with Bob Newman on Brock and Salk and it's sounding pretty promising.

- Pointed out the KeyArena currently still holds about 100 events/concerts a year
- Commented on how the surrounding neighbors keep getting further developed with a lot of money in the area now
- The renovations will be done without securing any NBA or NHL teams. They plan on renovating it to have desired standards for both NBA and NHL teams, however, and they believe that will finally lure one or two teams
- The arena renovations will be privately funded

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2g0dfx5d said:
I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum. Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name. Tell me ya'll didn't get pumped? I remember it like yesterday as a kid and how loud the Seattle C.C. was.

With all that said. Let the past be the past. In with the new and I'm down with Team Hansen.

I think 100% of us would rather it be the SODO project and Hansen. Dude's been amazing at the lengths he's gone, and patience he's shown.

But that's not reality, the reality is it's crystal clear that our councils and mayor want the new arena at the Key, and so that's what's gonna happen.

If anyone's ONLY for Hansen, then they have to ask themselves would they rather wait another 10 years or have the chance of the SODO project never being approved? Or would they be OK with one of these groups getting us a team within the next couple years with a badass new arena at the Key?

Not sure why anyone would choose the former just to be loyal to Hansen. Love the guy, but I want the NHL and my Supes back.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mslmw2dt said:
dopeboy206":mslmw2dt said:
I might be alone here but I loved the atmosphere of the old Seattle Center Colissieum. Brings back old memories of GP and Kemp throwing down on GSW in the early 90s. That alley oop and that dunk where Kemp looked like he travel and dunked on a Warriors player. Might be Alton Lister I forgot his name. Tell me ya'll didn't get pumped? I remember it like yesterday as a kid and how loud the Seattle C.C. was.

I think 100% of us would rather it be the SODO project and Hansen. Dude's been amazing at the lengths he's gone, and patience he's shown.

But that's not reality, the reality is it's crystal clear that our councils and mayor want the new arena at the Key, and so that's what's gonna happen.

If anyone's ONLY for Hansen, then they have to ask themselves would they rather wait another 10 years or have the chance of the SODO project never being approved? Or would they be OK with one of these groups getting us a team within the next couple years with a badass new arena at the Key?

Not sure why anyone would choose the former just to be loyal to Hansen. Love the guy, but I want the NHL and my Supes back.

I just feel Hansen will be a better owner because he seems more basketball minded than the others. But I know it's likely we'll get the key renovation. As long as we get an NBA team I'm fine with that.

Also If the Key renovation is our only chance I hope they make the capacity 20,000+ for basketball games. I would love for them to keep lighting kind of dim/dark like the old Colissieum. I always thought they looked cool on arenas like the Staple Center, Madison Square Garden and the Seattle Center Colissieum. The bright lights sucks to me. The worst lighting has to be the Tacoma Dome. It makes the courts to funny lol.

I apologize for responding with a wishlist. Truth is I just want our Supersonics back but those wishes are a plus lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomation

Reaction score
Hansen isn't going to buy teams and be a tenant it's not worth it financially it's why the Clippers are trying to build their own arena. So what's going to happen is the Key gets pushed due to the port but you have nobody to buy the teams and nobody is going to to want to be a tenant. Hansen's plan uses no public money and just requires a tiny little alley that is never used but the port wants his land. This comes down to the SCC is corrupt as hell and the port is pulling the strings. If either Key plan gets approved that is pretty much the end for quite a while unless they have someone to actually buy teams who hasn't stepped forward yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
randomation":7yhstt6f said:
Hansen isn't going to buy teams and be a tenant it's not worth it financially it's why the Clippers are trying to build their own arena. So what's going to happen is the Key gets pushed due to the port but you have nobody to buy the teams and nobody is going to to want to be a tenant. Hansen's plan uses no public money and just requires a tiny little alley that is never used but the port wants his land. This comes down to the SCC is corrupt as hell and the port is pulling the strings. If either Key plan gets approved that is pretty much the end for quite a while unless they have someone to actually buy teams who hasn't stepped forward yet.

Lots of team owners don't own the facility their team's play in.

So if it's not Hansen? That'd suck, but ownership groups for both the NHL and NBA will be lining up around the block to submit bids to bring a team to a market like Seattle playing in a brand new arena.

randomation

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a new arena and the traffic issues are likely going to make the independent experts the nba and nhl will hire to determine feasibility go you gotta be kidding me.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
randomation":ylg6zlgd said:
Hawk-Lock":ylg6zlgd said:

Everything I've seen is this all stems back to the port same reason the street vacation didn't go through.
The Port of Seattle wants the land that Hansen owns BAD for their own use. The street vacation issue is a strawman argument made he the port, Howard Lincoln, and the Times.

Latest posts