Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

chris98251

Reaction score
Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2k8egr3y said:
Sure, but 500 plus million for the new place and then the area projects and add Key Arena and I have heard 276 to 400 million there, that doesn't include any area upgrades or access changes around it which are also needed, yet the City want's no money out of their pocket. So who is going to throw a Billion at the City for them to have their Concert Hall Where they have complete control, all the revenue, and no investment or risk.

AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group have both said they're willing to front the large majority of the Key Arena project, and since their both interested my guess is their bids are going to look extremely beneficial to the city after the April submissions.

That's my point, why can't we make both projects work if we have two deep pocket investors willing to come in and make everyone happy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2baacsbl said:
chris98251":2baacsbl said:

AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group have both said they're willing to front the large majority of the Key Arena project, and since their both interested my guess is their bids are going to look extremely beneficial to the city after the April submissions.

That's my point, why can't we make both projects work if we have two deep pocket investors willing to come in and make everyone happy.

Doesn't the AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group want to have a NBA team and Hockey team? that would be a bit of a problem, we're not getting 4 new teams, Hansen won't build his unless he knows a team is coming, Leiweke won't front money unless a team is coming.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":311310fa said:
Sgt. Largent":311310fa said:
chris98251":311310fa said:

Doesn't the AEG and Leiweke's Oak View Group want to have a NBA team and Hockey team? that would be a bit of a problem, we're not getting 4 new teams, Hansen won't build his unless he knows a team is coming, Leiweke won't front money unless a team is coming.

Neither AEG or Lieweke's group wants to own a team, they're strictly after the project, as they've done in other cities all over the world.

So even if either group is chosen for the Key project, an outside owner will be brought in for either/both pro teams.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/onair/ ... z4YKBodElg

McGinn said of Murray:

"But what we've seen from Ed from the beginning is he was pretty much absent from the first street vacation vote, tried not to say anything publicly. And I think that, as well as his stance now, I believe based on his actions today and his failure to engage it, he opposes the SODO arena.

That's very clear to me that he opposes the SODO arena, will spend no political capital to make it happen, and might even be working behind the scenes to make sure they never get the vacation...So I think that's another thing that we're analyzing to watch.

Does Ed come off the bench and publicly fight for it or does he work behind the scenes and say that Key Arena is the highest priority? I think that will have a big impact on the final outcome."

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

Says the NBA owners don't hate him, the city would be mad to demolish key arena immediately as the league have indicated they'd be fine with the sonics playing there while SODO gets built. Thinks an nhl team would come here first. Wants to see turned into a smaller concert venue- points to the forum and portland as examples.

Seems a lot of common sense being talked.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Saw a picture of Wally Walker with Russell Wilson and Chris Hansen today. If we get another NBA team in Seattle I will be pissed if he had a job in the organization. Only job the new Sonics should give him is cleaning the toilets after each home game. Walker sucks. I can't stand his face and how he talks. He just irks me in every way possible. I know some of you have a person in mind relating to how I feel about Wally Walker that you barely know or ever met but you just want to punch that guy in the face cause of how he looks. Well Wally Walker is that guy to me, he just has that punchable face I can't stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":zgwyphb5 said:
Saw a picture of Wally Walker with Russell Wilson and Chris Hansen today. If we get another NBA team in Seattle I will be pissed if he had a job in the organization. Only job the new Sonics should give him is cleaning the toilets after each home game. Walker sucks. I can't stand his face and how he talks. He just irks me in every way possible. I know some of you have a person in mind relating to how I feel about Wally Walker that you barely know or ever met but you just want to punch that guy in the face cause of how he looks. Well Wally Walker is that guy to me, he just has that punchable face I can't stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think both Russell and Walker are just goodwill ambassadors to help Hansen put some public faces to his project.

I honestly don't think I could admire Hansen any more than I do, I would have rage quit this entire thing years ago and turned every piece of property I bought into the world's largest outdoor strip club and German death metal concert venues.

Dude is so damn calm and patient.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1na05y80 said:
Hansens team are out in force today. Meeting with some of the council members with Russell Wilson to address concerns.

Says the NBA owners don't hate him, the city would be mad to demolish key arena immediately as the league have indicated they'd be fine with the sonics playing there while SODO gets built. Thinks an nhl team would come here first. Wants to see turned into a smaller concert venue- points to the forum and portland as examples.

Unfortunately the folks on the city council and the mayor seem to be lacking in common sense. That's the disconnect. Bagshaw and Sawant are on the council...that pretty much tells me all I need to know about things getting done around here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1pb9f54p said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1pb9f54p said:

Unfortunately the folks on the city council and the mayor seem to be lacking in common sense. That's the disconnect. Bagshaw and Sawant are on the council...that pretty much tells me all I need to know about things getting done around here.

No one on the council is an idiot, their savvy as hell and know exactly what they're doing.................they do what all politicians do, use their power and influence to direct projects to what benefits them the most.

And what benefits them the most is redeveloping the Key Arena area.

You could drop an alien down from space and show him a billionaire willing to pay 100% for a gigantic tax generating arena, and any and all street vacations and cost overruns and the alien would say "hell yeah that's a great deal for the city."

So no, they have plenty of common sense. Common sense to get re-elected.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u5nnb7z said:
hawkfan68":1u5nnb7z said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1u5nnb7z said:

No one on the council is an idiot, their savvy as hell and know exactly what they're doing.................they do what all politicians do, use their power and influence to direct projects to what benefits them the most.

And what benefits them the most is redeveloping the Key Arena area.

You could drop an alien down from space and show him a billionaire willing to pay 100% for a gigantic tax generating arena, and any and all street vacations and cost overruns and the alien would say "hell yeah that's a great deal for the city."

So no, they have plenty of common sense. Common sense to get re-elected.

I disagree. In my opinion, there are many reasons why some of them should not get re-elected. But since politics are out of bounds in the forum, I'll leave it at that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2wkkkd2k said:
I disagree. In my opinion, there are many reasons why some of them should not get re-elected. But since politics are out of bounds in the forum, I'll leave it at that.

I didn't comment on whether they should or should not get re-elected, I'm stating what their motivation is behind supporting the Key project and not Hansen and SODO.

The Key is a publicly held asset that is old and dying, so our councils and mayor want it renovated. Simple as that.

MY point is great, do that.........and when that's approved with AEG or whoever, then approve Hansen's project. Lots of cities have a smaller 15k arena made specifically for concerts, etc and then bigger 20-25k sports arenas.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Today's the big day, arena proposal deadline.

Another interesting twist that came out last night, AEG is now partnered with Hudson Pacific Properties, which is owned by Victor Coleman..............who if you remember was the guy who tried to bring the NHL to Seattle a couple years ago.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hock ... -partners/

As much as I'm rooting for Hansen, any group that can get this done AND bring a heavy NHL hitter to the table like Coleman that can secure a franchise once the project is approved? I'm in.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n7drhm9b said:
Today's the big day, arena proposal deadline.

Another interesting twist that came out last night, AEG is now partnered with Hudson Pacific Properties, which is owned by Victor Coleman..............who if you remember was the guy who tried to bring the NHL to Seattle a couple years ago.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hock ... -partners/

As much as I'm rooting for Hansen, any group that can get this done AND bring a heavy NHL hitter to the table like Coleman that can secure a franchise once the project is approved? I'm in.
I agree with your overall assesment, except for the fact the traffic and parking around the key is a logistical nightmare. If they want to use the key as a concert venue, that's cool, as it won't effect me much, but I don't see the Key being a solution or venue for an NHL team....... but like you if it gets me an NHL team, so be it, but I'd prefer Hanson's new arena route.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Why the big push to keep the roof at Key Arena? It's ugly and will limit the size of the stadium to 18k which would be third smallest in the NBA. When you think of Seattle you think of the Space needle as a landmark and pike market. You do not think of key arena.

Think the writing is on the wall for SODO, going by todays articles which is dumb as getting to key arena is a pain in the ass.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2s8i02gd said:
I don't care what it takes to get an NBA or NHL team here, just build it. I don't care if it is in the worst traffic area in the city. Going to the Key as a kid, I don't remember traffic and parking being that big of a problem.

I agree about wanting the team but I don't want the NBA or NHL to turn round a few years later and say the stadium is too small or crowds are low as people can't be bothered being stuck on Mercer. Think that would become an issue, especially if either team sucked for a long stretch.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
AEG bid 'may require some public financing'. Should be a hell no but knowing this city.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mercer Mess has always been a issue, even when the Sonics played, population has quadrupled, supposedly the Mercer Mess is fixed, yeah right we will see, Parking is still an issue as well.

The size is the true issue, they want the Roof lines intact for historical purposes going back to the Worlds Fair, to expand and remodel they have to dig down. It needs to be 25k or so or the NBA will cry insufficient and outdated and use it as leverage again.

This is why the SODO plan is better.

Latest posts