Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":10dkli4y said:
Sgt. Largent":10dkli4y said:
ZorntoLargent":10dkli4y said:
Why do arena proponents talk about the NHL?
The Seattle Thunderbirds are in the WHL FINALS, and they didn't sell out game 4 at home.
Where will you find 20k fans once we get a team?

Why don't the Rainers sell more than 2k tickets a game? Why don't the S2 Sounders club sell more than 500 tickets a match?

Terrible example, the NHL in Seattle would explode with interest.......especially in a brand new arena. Seattle is one of the biggest metropolitan markets in the country with transplants from Canada, the midwest and backeast that'd go nuts for pro hockey. Along with thousands of corporations and businesses looking to buy suites and seats for a pro winter sport.

No top 20 market should have ZERO pro teams in the winter, either/or the NBA or NHL would fill that interest void.

The Rainiers never played for a championship. When were the Rainiers playing in the World Series of minor league baseball?
The Thunderbirds have made it to the Finals 2 years in a row.
You either like hockey or don't. No fans means Seattle doesn't love hockey.

Rainers won the league championship in 2001 and 2010, conference champs 2010 and league champs as recently as last year. Still dead last in attendance in 2010.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... 2&sid=l112

Your example is flat out ridiculous. Seattle would be a great hockey town.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3micsrjx said:
The Seattle Thunderbirds are in the WHL FINALS, and they didn't sell out game 4 at home.

Sorry ZorntoLargent, have to disagree. The NHL would kill here, it would be big time. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1poe419b said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MayorEdMurray/status/864153285590007808[/tweet]

Really Murray? LOL
Tumblr o3f1npiGpD1r7eta3o1 500

Politician be politician'ing.

McGinn and a couple of the council members aside, if we've learned one thing from this entire arena saga, it's that our elected officials don't watch sports, don't care about sports..........and certainly don't give a rat's ass about a minor league hockey cup.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Any news, updates, timetables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Oak View Group has changed its pitch for a KeyArena renovation at Seattle Center.

On Wednesday, it officially offered to build a 400 stall subterranean garage as part of it's $564 million arena renovation, which it is calling the "New Arena at Seattle Center." As part of it's original proposal, filed with the city, it was suggesting an above ground, 850 stall, garage would be built by another public entity.

“In our proposal we provided the garage as an option to the City of Seattle," Lance Lopes of OVG said in a prepared statement. "In our dialogue with the City and the surrounding neighbors - we have listened and learned – it is crucial that we make the NASC part of an open environment for all visitors to the Seattle Center campus. With great partnership and participation from local voices, OVG has decided to remove the above-grade parking structure located to the south of the NASC."

Lopes added, "The cost of the garage is already included in our overall project budget that we proposed to the City and does not adjust the size or scope of the below-grade loading dock and event level storage."

The change of heart comes as Seattle leaders are close to making a final determination on which KeyArena proposal to send to the city council. OVG and AEG have both made bids, although there have been multiple questions about just how much public financing is included. Both AEG and Chris Hansen's SoDo Arena group have accused OVG of hiding public subsidies within their bid.

It's unclear how absorbing the cost of the garage affects to the initial bid. AEG is not offering to build a garage, but is proposing to spend $5 million on traffic mitigation.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/arena/o ... /444486271

chris98251

Reaction score
City of Seattle having a "Hidden Agenda" ?

LOL most here have been saying that since Nichols took the cash out from Bennett.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Anyone know when is the Sodo vote?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":an29e3l8 said:

The council and mayor haven't said when the 2nd street vacation vote is happening.........but I can guarantee you it'll be after they award the Oakview Group the Key project on a silver platter later this month or early July.

I'm happy that something's getting done, but i'm bummed for Hansen.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11ou6tpi said:
dopeboy206":11ou6tpi said:

The council and mayor haven't said when the 2nd street vacation vote is happening.........but I can guarantee you it'll be after they award the Oakview Group the Key project on a silver platter later this month or early July.

I'm happy that something's getting done, but i'm bummed for Hansen.
Sadly,
I think your prediction will be 100% spot on.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
NBA is absolute garbage right now from top to bottom, AND it is unlikely we could even secure a team based on all comments coming out of Silver. So, hockey and concerts/events? :roll:

Why do we need a new arena again?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Still don't get how parking will work. King County population has doubled the past 5 years. This is not an early 2000's population anymore. SODO would have been so nice because there's tons of space for the arena, parking, and other entertainment around the area. I don't believe the cities excuse that industrial workers dont want it in their way. The other 2 stadiums are there no problem. As far as teams go, I'm only interested in NHL at the moment. I want the Sonics back of course but hockey right now is more exciting than Super Star Ball and playing the Canucks would be cool. Name them Metropolitans or I'll be pissed!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":virbbxod said:
NBA is absolute garbage right now from top to bottom, AND it is unlikely we could even secure a team based on all comments coming out of Silver. So, hockey and concerts/events? :roll:

I'm pretty sure the NBA's popularity and ratings are higher than ever. If the Seahawks left Seattle, the same people would say that the NFL is a garbage product and that they wouldn't watch it. The NBA is doing great despite these lackluster playoffs. When you think about the best athletes in the world, you think of the NBA. I understand there are a lot of bitter NBA fans living in the Northwest, but the league is doing great.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3h0lnnsx said:
Coug_Hawk08":3h0lnnsx said:

I'm pretty sure the NBA's popularity and ratings are higher than ever. If the Seahawks left Seattle, the same people would say that the NFL is a garbage product and that they wouldn't watch it. The NBA is doing great despite these lackluster playoffs. When you think about the best athletes in the world, you think of the NBA. I understand there are a lot of bitter NBA fans living in the Northwest, but the league is doing great.

This deserves a cmon man. There are 4 teams that are OK. If you aren't one of them, basketball is terrible. It's a bunch of high school kids that are allowed to travel, not play defense, run around and drain threes. There is not enough talent in basketball to create parity across the league. We are seeing the same two teams play in the finals for the third year in a row. . . If you think basketball is better than ever, more power to you.

Also, I have never truly been a 'fan' of basketball, or the sonics. But I have watched enough over the years to know and appreciate quality play. To imply my opinion is based on bitterness about losing the sonics is purely false.

i really don't care if we get a team back, but for practical purposes as it relates to this project, it seems like their needs to be a commitment from both sports for it to make it even remotely worth while. Even then, I'm not at all confidant the arena would sell out past the first year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":2zvfhi6y said:

They are basically unpaid HS kids who are a lot more talented that regular HS kids. But they are far from what you get at the NHL level.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yeah when the shittsburgh penguins come here or if they make the playoffs the arena will be rocking. The amount of support the Sounders get suprised me even. Seattle has a lot more people and over all is just more multi cultural than 15-20 years ago. The fans are here!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Nhl commish has apparently reviewed the plans for key arena and approved it for hockey.

Latest posts