Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2c0xcxbq said:
NBA is absolute garbage right now from top to bottom, AND it is unlikely we could even secure a team based on all comments coming out of Silver. So, hockey and concerts/events? :roll:

Why do we need a new arena again?

Kinda short sighted don't you think?

You only want basketball if it's now? If it takes 10 years to get out Sonics back, then it takes 10 years. In the mean time we can finally have a winter sport team in the NHL.

btw, anyone who doesn't care about hockey, doesn't like hockey or is apathetic to hockey in Seattle............all I ask is you go watch a game in person, you'll be hooked. Hands down the best spectator sport there is.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2zrlp9kx said:
Coug_Hawk08":2zrlp9kx said:
NBA is absolute garbage right now from top to bottom, AND it is unlikely we could even secure a team based on all comments coming out of Silver. So, hockey and concerts/events? :roll:

Why do we need a new arena again?

I'm pretty sure the NBA's popularity and ratings are higher than ever. If the Seahawks left Seattle, the same people would say that the NFL is a garbage product and that they wouldn't watch it. The NBA is doing great despite these lackluster playoffs. When you think about the best athletes in the world, you think of the NBA. I understand there are a lot of bitter NBA fans living in the Northwest, but the league is doing great.

Bitter really isn't a strong enough word. And all the hate directed at the NBA from here, is WELL deserved and appropriate.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2jvvprd4 said:
Nhl commish has apparently reviewed the plans for key arena and approved it for hockey.

Brock and Salk were talking about this, this morning. Apparently Gary Bettman has given the thumbs up, thats huge!

So if the SCC approves this Key arena package, and all the financials look good with Bonderman and Bruckheimer..... does the NHL finally award the last expansion team to them??

SO freakin' excited!!! :240039: :240039: :240039:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1punac07 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1punac07 said:
Nhl commish has apparently reviewed the plans for key arena and approved it for hockey.

Brock and Salk were talking about this, this morning. Apparently Gary Bettman has given the thumbs up, thats huge!

So if the SCC approves this Key arena package, and all the financials look good with Bonderman and Bruckheimer..... does the NHL finally award the last expansion team to them??

SO freakin' excited!!! :240039: :240039: :240039:

Lieweke this morning just said that if all goes well, MOU gets signed later this year, groundbreaking begins in 2018, or early 2019 and hockey team arrives in 2021.

But yes, I think that's exactly why the NHL has held onto an uneven amount of teams after awarding Vegas, they were waiting to see what happens here in Seattle.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'd like to see NHL here, much more than the NBA, which I don't give a crap about.. Very exciting news.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Bring on the NBA and NHL, whatever it takes to get them here. Sounds like the NHL is more on board with Seattle than the NBA. Once the NBA comes back, people from the Northwest will learn to love the league again.

I'm all for the NHL and NBA. I've grown to love NHL this year, the playoffs have been so much better than the NBA. I watch hockey casually, but I'm so drawn to it because it is so entertaining and easy to watch. Should be a good game 5 in Pittsburgh tonight.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Who's smart idea was it to put the college tournament at key arena, delaying the process.

Crizilla

Reaction score
NBA ratings now compared to the 90s is much different. Last years game 7 was the most watched finals game, but overall the average viewership is way down. I don't think the NBA would have approved ads on their jerseys if they weren't in a funk. There's no point in watching the NBA until the conference finals. Spurs, Warriors, Cavs...that's really it......

there is NOTHING like overtime in the NHL. I think a lot of Sounders fans would get into Hockey if they already aren't.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Sports Press - Art Thiel

As with any park, Seattle Center, which draws more than 10 million visitors annually, has hundreds of constituencies, each believing it should have a voice in changes that may affect usage. Woe to the politician who ignores those voices. So the politician typically seeks to please most of the people most of the time with the smallest drain on public resources.

The path of least resistance is a big reason why we no longer have the Sonics, and are going through agonizing civic backflips to get back the NBA. The NBA knows all about this, and is loath to come back to Seattle’s public park.
OVG brings a world-class concert venue with NHL opportunities more so than an NBA arena.

Silver/Stern has been opposed to KeyArena and this new proposal doesn't change any of the things they have stated previously.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I've always thought it was kind of a lame "pit" arena. We definitely need a full blown mother effin arena in SODO. It's a shame. It really is. I say this on the topic of sports only but keep in mind during the next Seattle elections if you want to vote for the same agenda as THIS one Seattle puts forth now. It's a disgrace we didn't get that arena deal done immediately with Stern. Bennett and Stern didn't freaking move the team because they felt like being dicks, they moved them because our city leaders didn't give a damn about the team. You aren't going to get fancy arenas with those people. Just imagine being Hansen. You're a bijillionaire and literally begging to make Seattle even more awesome and bring back our damn basketball team... and youre being rejected. It's laughable. I honestly don't know if this would happen anywhere else in the country. Think twice before you vote! I'm not taking a political stance at all just want be clear.

dadof3

Reaction score
Crizilla":2pn5c3sj said:
I've always thought it was kind of a lame "pit" arena. We definitely need a full blown mother effin arena in SODO. It's a shame. It really is. I say this on the topic of sports only but keep in mind during the next Seattle elections if you want to vote for the same agenda as THIS one Seattle puts forth now. It's a disgrace we didn't get that arena deal done immediately with Stern. Bennett and Stern didn't freaking move the team because they felt like being dicks, they moved them because our city leaders didn't give a damn about the team. You aren't going to get fancy arenas with those people. Just imagine being Hansen. You're a bijillionaire and literally begging to make Seattle even more awesome and bring back our damn basketball team... and youre being rejected. It's laughable. I honestly don't know if this would happen anywhere else in the country. Think twice before you vote! I'm not taking a political stance at all just want be clear.
I don't want to comment too much on the politics because I know it's frowned upon here. I will say this: The minute Hanson agreed to pay for the arena with 0 public money, probably the best arena deal in this country's history, I knew Seattle would figure out a way to eff it up. Never underestimate this city government's ability to do something stupid.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
dadof3":1fkeudqi said:
Crizilla":1fkeudqi said:
I don't want to comment too much on the politics because I know it's frowned upon here. I will say this: The minute Hanson agreed to pay for the arena with 0 public money, probably the best arena deal in this country's history, I knew Seattle would figure out a way to eff it up. Never underestimate this city government's ability to do something stupid.

I definitely won't be going to the Key arena for any games, etc unless they fix the horrendous traffic mess around that area. Adding a garage with only 850 stalls will do very little toward solving the traffic issues there. Now they removed the 850 stall garage from the plan.
That's why I believe the SODO plan was much, much better. There's plenty of room in that area plus already having two stadiums established means there is more parking availability and it's easier to access. I live on the eastside, it would be easier for me to get to the SODO arena than it is the Key arena.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":yhx9valw said:
dadof3":yhx9valw said:
Crizilla":yhx9valw said:

I definitely won't be going to the Key arena for any games, etc unless they fix the horrendous traffic mess around that area. Adding a garage with only 850 stalls will do very little toward solving the traffic issues there. Now they removed the 850 stall garage from the plan.
That's why I believe the SODO plan was much, much better. There's plenty of room in that area plus already having two stadiums established means there is more parking availability and it's easier to access. I live on the eastside, it would be easier for me to get to the SODO arena than it is the Key arena.
The Key Arena plan is a traffic nightmare period. For the SCC and the mayor to flat out ignore this fact is almost criminal.
Granted, I'll be happy as hell if we get the NHL here regardless of what building they play in, but will go to very few games if I have to deal with a giant clusteryouknowwhat getting to and leaving the arena.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Crizilla":22iwnhe0 said:

Watch Sonicsgate when you have some time and educate yourself on exactly what went down.

From day one Bennett and Stern had only one goal in mind, to move the team to OKC. Certainly our local governments were their usual pain in the asses impossible to work selves. But make no mistake, Stern and Bennett never wanted the Sonics to stay in Seattle, and did everything in their powers to poison pill the entire process making it impossible to keep the Sonics here.

Bennett and his billionaire buddies built the Ford Center for one goal, to bring a team to OKC. Once he got into bed with Stern after Hurricane Katrina agreeing to host the Hornets, the deal was made. Stern was going to help him get a team to OKC.

The End

[youtube]rKP4KBCzRCM[/youtube]

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mrfpyfq said:
Crizilla":3mrfpyfq said:

Watch Sonicsgate when you have some time and educate yourself on exactly what went down.

From day one Bennett and Stern had only one goal in mind, to move the team to OKC. Certainly our local governments were their usual pain in the asses impossible to work selves. But make no mistake, Stern and Bennett never wanted the Sonics to stay in Seattle, and did everything in their powers to poison pill the entire process making it impossible to keep the Sonics here.

Bennett and his billionaire buddies built the Ford Center for one goal, to bring a team to OKC. Once he got into bed with Stern after Hurricane Katrina agreeing to host the Hornets, the deal was made. Stern was going to help him get a team to OKC.

The End

[youtube]rKP4KBCzRCM[/youtube]
Been awhile since I've seen it.
I need to watch it again to remind myself how much I hate the NBA, and most associated with it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't forget Mayor Nickels and the City Council selling out any dispute for 5 million and a empty promise.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3e2ozs4s said:
Don't forget Mayor Nickels and the City Council selling out any dispute for 5 million and a empty promise.
Absolutely, never forget those political dirt bags!