Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
https://www.sonicsarena.com/2017/09/pro ... -keyarena/

Today, our investment group is making an offer to privately develop KeyArena into a mid-size concert venue, following the completion of construction of the new SoDo Arena. We believe our creative, privately financed proposal offers an ideal solution that ensures the continued vibrancy of the Seattle Center, while minimizing the negative impacts on the surrounding residents, businesses, and stakeholders.

In summary, we are offering to privately finance and build three new and unique venues: The SoDo Sports Arena, The Seattle Center Concert Venue, and The Seattle Center Amphitheater.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/905891367079075840[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/905899859743567879[/tweet]

Wow! :shock:

DJrmb

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":38mo9a6u said:
https://www.sonicsarena.com/2017/09/proposal-redevelop-keyarena/

Today, our investment group is making an offer to privately develop KeyArena into a mid-size concert venue, following the completion of construction of the new SoDo Arena. We believe our creative, privately financed proposal offers an ideal solution that ensures the continued vibrancy of the Seattle Center, while minimizing the negative impacts on the surrounding residents, businesses, and stakeholders.

In summary, we are offering to privately finance and build three new and unique venues: The SoDo Sports Arena, The Seattle Center Concert Venue, and The Seattle Center Amphitheater.

Wow! Come on, if this doesn't get the ball rolling nothing will. :snack:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
DJrmb":1kd21l4v said:
twisted_steel2":1kd21l4v said:
https://www.sonicsarena.com/2017/09/proposal-redevelop-keyarena/

Wow! Come on, if this doesn't get the ball rolling nothing will. :snack:

This is nice but politicians still stand in the way....we know they don't like things that make sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
So Hansen will build Sodo on his own, and also re build Key Arena on his own, OR "Concert Venue and the Amphitheater, " Other then put on a Uniform, and play himself as well what else can he put up.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wow this all great if it happens..I guess my question will be:Who gets stuck paying the expansion fee(s) for NBA and NHL?Keep in mind these fees will be $200-500 million each.

DHawk

Reaction score
Basically, this leaves no mixed messages about bringing the Sonics and NHL here. Its on the city. His team is basically giving them everything they could possibly want. Damn.

chris98251

Reaction score
And the City said if Hansen wanted to do this he should have submitted a proposal by the deadline.

So, City really has a hard on for Hansen, deadlines have been worked around before, no real proposal has been vetted, and this is going to give the city a free upgrade, but they don't want him having control of anything.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3pjlzubi said:
And the City said if Hansen wanted to do this he should have submitted a proposal by the deadline.

So, City really has a hard on for Hansen, deadlines have been worked around before, no real proposal has been vetted, and this is going to give the city a free upgrade, but they don't want him having control of anything.

While I sorta agree with you, this is on Hansen.

Every step of the way he's done a TERRIBLE job of predicting what the council and mayor would do. He could have already gotten his arena built if he would have first approached the council and mayor 6 years ago and told them he'd fully fund and rebuild Key Arena into what he proposed yesterday.

But he didn't, he's been too reactionary and waited until he had no choice every step of the way, and that just comes off as knee jerk and desperate, just like this new proposal.

"We need public money........oh someone else is going to do it fully funded, then me too!"

"Oh you're still not going to vacate Occidental for me and go with Oakview for a new Key Arena.........then I want to do it for free too at Key Arena!"

I love Hansen and all he's tried to do to bring back my Sonics, but he's ROYALLY screwed up beyond repair how he's tried to get this done.

dadof3

Reaction score
No public money? You know the city will strike that down. At this point I think Hansen is just trolling the council to show the world how stupid they really are.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":735j3b8n said:
chris98251":735j3b8n said:

While I sorta agree with you, this is on Hansen.

Every step of the way he's done a TERRIBLE job of predicting what the council and mayor would do. He could have already gotten his arena built if he would have first approached the council and mayor 6 years ago and told them he'd fully fund and rebuild Key Arena into what he proposed yesterday.

But he didn't, he's been too reactionary and waited until he had no choice every step of the way, and that just comes off as knee jerk and desperate, just like this new proposal.

"We need public money........oh someone else is going to do it fully funded, then me too!"

"Oh you're still not going to vacate Occidental for me and go with Oakview for a new Key Arena.........then I want to do it for free too at Key Arena!"

I love Hansen and all he's tried to do to bring back my Sonics, but he's ROYALLY screwed up beyond repair how he's tried to get this done.
Disagree.

It's not smart business to put your maximum 100% best offer out on the floor up front. At the time the Hansen group made their offer they were the only serious act in town and made a Very strong offer. Then when the city decided to screw him over and start talking to other groups behind his back and taking other offers (the same thing they are NOW saying they won't do with Oak View...) all he did was match or beat everything those other groups brought to the table. The ONLY reason Hansen is being treated this way is because he's a better business man then anyone in the city council and they got butt hurt and have an agenda and a personal vendetta.

As for not getting the Key Arena deal in on time, that's because he didn't have enough time to do all the research etc involved to come up with a legit plan. By the time the city set the "review date" it had already been reported that the competing groups had been working on their plans for a year or more (and I believe already collaborating with the city). The City set an aggressive review date knowing that the other groups had a huge head start over Hansen and would be able to finish a proposal and the Hansen group would not.

Anyways, this is not yet over. The city is probably going to screw it up with the Oak View group as well by asking for too many different things for traffic etc (in the end I think we might not end up with a stadium anywhere with this stupid leadership). Plus maybe when Murray is finally gone maybe, just maybe, there is something the next mayor can/will do to get the best deal for the city (which at this point is Hansen's deal, getting 2 brand new buildings with no taxpayers money).

Last thing I'll say is that the Hansen group should never have had to "predict" what the mayor/council would do. If they knew they would only consider plans for Key Arena or that keep it a viable venue then they should have been upfront and honest about that the whole time and not pretend they were fairly weighing Hansen's offer against the others...

:snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DJrmb":3olpuy0o said:
Last thing I'll say is that the Hansen group should never have had to "predict" what the mayor/council would do. If they knew they would only consider plans for Key Arena or that keep it a viable venue then they should have been upfront and honest about that the whole time and not pretend they were fairly weighing Hansen's offer against the others...

:snack:

That's exactly how you get business done, especially dealing with public interest groups like mayors, states and councils.

You propose, then you react accordingly.

From the very beginning all Hansen heard from the mayor's and council offices was "yeah sounds awesome, but what about Key Arena?" Yet Hansen continued down the SODO road.

We all knew that the mayor and council wanted Key renovated, and really had no interest in SODO AT LEAST 3-4 years ago. Again, Hansen continued to push SODO.

I love the dude, I would have bailed long before he did. But his fatal mistake was continuing to try and get SODO done, even thought he temperature of the mayor and council for a good 3-4 years was Key Arena, Key Arena, and more Key Arena.

Now Oakview comes around and Hansen sees what he should have seen a long time ago, he's out in the cold with no whale and no development group.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He could have had an offer before the April deadline and it would have made zero difference. The Port and Times are deep in the Seattle CC's pockets. They are stupid to reject Hanson's most recent offer, as it makes zero sense to reject 2 FREE arenas.

The Port has a hard on for the SODO land that Hanson owns. This has never been about traffic issues or overpasses for the Port, it's about obtaining the land that Chris wants to put the arena on.

Hanson has called the CC and Ports bluffs the whole way and they keep moving the goalposts.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hansen's proposals are a dream scenario for any city except Seattle of course. To put any of the troubles on him just shows how ignorant people are. The blood is and has been on the City Councils hands from the get-go. They don't want a big beautiful entertainment arena in SODO. If you're asking yourself "but why would they not want that?!", then you need to do more research on who these people are and what they are after. Get it through your thick skulls. They will do everything they can to continue blocking this. I'm starting to get really pissed off again. I just want the Seattle of the 90s back, man.

chris98251

Reaction score
The council is in the port authority's pocket, The Mariners do not want competition in that area as well and behind the scenes do not want two other sports teams competing for ticket and memorabilia sales in the state. Given how the Mariners have played and how they have given lip service to the fans ever since They sold to the Japanese guy who never has been to a game, yes he kept them here instead of Florida, but 20/20 hindsight was that such a great deal? We may have had the Sonics, a NHL team and with the Expos becoming the Nationals we may have had a chance for a relocated team anyway. Brewers anyone, how ironic would that be.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/907669130572001280[/tweet]

Murray cancels press conference with OVG per latest allegations.

Does OVG take a step back? Murray has already promised not to resign.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
sammyc521":db5a3453 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/907669130572001280[/tweet]

Murray cancels press conference with OVG per latest allegations.

Does OVG take a step back? Murray has already promised not to resign.

:shock:

Why are we letting this man continue?

Why is he still making decision for the city? Can someone on the SCC please step up and pump the brakes here? :34853_doh: